K8 tranny on ZE?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

IanL wrote:
Chiggles wrote:... So everyone please tell me, if I were to keep an ATX running on my ride, and I do want to swap my K8 out for a KLZE, is it in my best interest to swap out the original ATX for a KL-type ATX, ECU, and ATCU as well??? Or am I able to run the ZE engine with any of the current K8 components??
The only point in swapping the engine is the extra torque of the KL. And the MX-3 ATX will die if you use that extra torque. So, if you swap the engine, there is only one way to go. (You can keep the VAF if it's a ZE.)

You didn't say what year your car is. If its a '96, it is OBDII, and the swap is even more complicated, because the ECU harness will need to be adapted to the KL ECU (I think its 77 out of 78 wiring changes for an ATX). But the plus side is that the OBDII KL ECU incorporates the ATCU function as well ( Hell, more wiring changes... :( )

Obviously, there is risk in fitting a used ATX from a car with unknown mileage. It would be better to get a remanufactured unit with a warranty. You get what you pay for :D
Mine's a 95 GS. So what you're telling me is a straight out yes. If I swap up to a ZE, I'll have to get the KL-type ATX as well. Got it. Which in turn, leads me into a postion where I'll HAVE to get a KL ECU and KL ATCU, right? Hmmm..... well, if I happen to find a Probe or MX-6 that someone's trying to get rid of, guess I'll be stripping it for more than just the engine now, huh? Geez..... well, my current K8 and my ATX seem to still be in good shape so I'll keep it in good health in the meantime. Anyone here have much experience with fluid tranny cooler?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”