KZLE and Turbo

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Talon_66

Re: KZLE and Turbo

Post by Talon_66 »

I say go KLDE. I mean I havent seen any KLZE to date drop as much power to the ground as Jeff Abram's KLDE MX3.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

It's funny how most or all of the people that have replied have no experience with forced induction. If you want some real answers search on probetalk.com. There is a really good thread in there about turboing the kl03 vs the klze in the forced induction section. I myself am not that experienced in forced induction but I have done alot of research on probetalk. I know that turbo charging the klze without "major tuning" work is possible and has been done. A rising rate FMU and higher flowing fuel pump are necessary, and the higher flowing Millenia S injectors are highly recommended.

Once again, search around on probetalk.com where you will find many experienced forced inducters :welder: :2thumbsup:
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

The more I research and get feedback I think I am going to end up getting the lower compression engine and see how far I can push it...before I have to get heavy duty under the hood.
Friends are just enemies who lack the testicular fortitude to kill you.

I'm a 2min man in a 1min universe

94 GS - KLZE, Spec2 Clutch, Fidanza 9lbs FW, 2 1/4 full magnaflow exhaust. 145WHP / 147WTQ
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

I don't think anyone here has said that forced induction can't be done on a ZE. But what they have said is that if one is to get max performance from the forced induction with minimal trouble it maybe worth going with the reg KL. But I will check out probetalk and see what they have to say and get back to you guys.

94 GS - KLZE, Spec2 Clutch, Fidanza 9lbs FW, 2 1/4 full magnaflow exhaust. 145WHP / 147WTQ
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

Originally posted by mx3man83:
It's funny how most or all of the people that have replied have no experience with forced induction. If you want some real answers search on probetalk.com. There is a really good thread in there about turboing the kl03 vs the klze in the forced induction section. I myself am not that experienced in forced induction but I have done alot of research on probetalk. I know that turbo charging the klze without "major tuning" work is possible and has been done. A rising rate FMU and higher flowing fuel pump are necessary, and the higher flowing Millenia S injectors are highly recommended.

Once again, search around on probetalk.com where you will find many experienced forced inducters :welder: :2thumbsup:
Hmmm I somehow think this is geared towards me. But its true, there is lots of great information at the probetalk website.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

that is true..there is a whole load of information at that site..I was starting to get a headache just going through the KLZE section hehehehehe

2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

MX3Man83 you don't got any forced induction experience so why put out a statement like that and then also give your opinion?? You now look like one of the people you just said were funny. I have experience with turbo on a KLDE and KLZE PGT. My friend had his DE turboed easily to 10lbs with a very basic setup and had no problems whatsoever for over 2 years. He then swapped over the turbo parts to his ZE'd showcar and had nothing but problems even after taking it to the dyno for tuning. He later swapped the parts back to his DE and has been living trouble free since. Like I said earlier, a turbo ZE is poosible and is fast as hell, but a turboed DE is just as fast with less hassle and this guy said himself hes not much of a tech guy to be dealing with all the problems a ZE Turbo would bring.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

Exactly..all I am looking for is an easy maintence setup which will go like mad and make some people say "what the hell was that?" hehehehe
I am still waiting to hear from the guys at a-spec and see what they have to say. Considering they have built several project cars and I am sure they have done both KL and ZE turbo setups. So lets see what they have to say..as one of the techs said earlier..going with the 9.2 compression will offer larger gains and less hassle.

mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

My statement wasn't geared towards anybody. Also, I did not give my opinion on this matter. I simply restated information I have read from people that have experience with this matter. Not only did I read it on probetalk, but I have been talking with a guy who has his klze turbocharged @10 psi on stock internals. Stock injectors as well might I add... Another thing for ya' U...I have read on probetalk that having a higher compression engine turbocharged is better for daily driving since you will have more non-boost power.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

One more thing U... I plan on turbo charging my klze. I have been doing research for quite some time now. This is what I have found to be a tried and true set up for a turbo klze. Millenia S injectors (280cc I believe), external wastegate to adjust boost levels, piggy back fuel control to manage your larger injectors, blow off valve, rising rate FMU to raise fuel pressure as boost levels are raised, higher flowing fuel pump to supply the gas, and an intercooler to keep your air charge temperature low. As for gauges, an EGT, A/F, and boost gauge would be very helpful.
My Cardomain site
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

hmmm hard to make a choice. Though I would have to say that the KL option is much more suited for my level of tech knowledge though the ZE option is more geared to my "need for speed". Now here is another question..I was talking to the tech guys in Toronto and they are telling me that I am looking at 6000 bucks to install the turbo..intercooler...fuel pumps etc etc. Is that over the top or realistic?

mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

That sounds quite high to me. I have found that a good turbo project can be funded with about $2,000. This is how it breaks down:
T3/t4(not sure which trim size I want quite yet)-$400.00
Vortech rising rate FMU-$100.00
Millenia S injectors-$250.00
Higher flow fuel pump-$125.00
Blow off valve-$150.00
External wastegate-$250.00
FMIC-$260.00
Plumbing-$400.00
Gauges(boost, EGT,A/F)-$100.00-$200.00(depending which brands you choose)

Now this is assuming you will be doing all of the work yourself, except the plumbing. Also, these are price ranges for brand new products. I have been able to cut some corners by using slightly used parts. For example, I will be purchasing a blow off valve from a guy on the board for $125.00. Also, old Starion intercoolers work wonderfully and they can be had for around $150.00 dollars on ebay. They are pretty big front mount intercoolers that came stock on the old starions and conquests. Also, keep in mind you will have to pull your oil pan off to plumb in an oil drain line, which may cost you if you don't have a welder or any cutting equipment. A good set of spark plugs would be a worth while investment also. Talk to Battosai on this board. He successfully turbocharged his k8. The fundamentals would be basically the same as turbocharging a kl03 or klze.
Oh and one more tid bit of information...my friend has a 2000 Celica GT-S with 11.5:1 compression ratio supercharged at 6 psi with no problems whatsoever.

<small>[ April 01, 2004, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: mx3man83 ]</small>
My Cardomain site
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

I agree highly with mx3man83, that price tag is way too high. He gave you a pretty good list of parts you'll need too, make sure you get a 12:1 FMU or better. Anything less is uncivilized... :mad: :crying:
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

true true..well I first have to get back to toronto before I can make any choices. Also I will have to find out how much that laundry list will cost in canadian dollars as the US amounts look much more inviting hehehehehe

Selecta

Post by Selecta »

Well I have a Garrett T3/T4 T04E turbo and was wondering..are specific BOVs and wastegates for specific trubos or are they pretty much interchangable and I can put on any BOV or wastegate?

Return to “Forced Induction”