Canada

Off-Topic Discussions
Talon_66

Re: Canada

Post by Talon_66 »

Well because I am an "alcoholic" (according to my parents and friends) I will be spending Canada Day at Riverside park in Kamloops with a group of my friends. Drinkin in public :p *badass*. Of course we will have to be shifty at doing this, cause there are MAD cops out on Canada Day. <p>Always a good time, lots of fun!
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by macnwigs:
short version - it's our country's b-day!!!<p>long version...<p>
On June 20, 1868, a proclamation signed by the Governor General, Lord Monck, called upon all Her Majesty's loving subjects throughout Canada to join in the celebration of the anniversary of the formation of the union of the British North America provinces in a federation under the name of Canada on July 1st. <p>The July 1 holiday was established by statute in 1879, under the name Dominion Day. <p>There is no record of organized ceremonies after this first anniversary, except for the 50th anniversary of Confederation in 1917, at which time the new Centre Block of the Parliament Buildings, under construction, was dedicated as a memorial to the Fathers of Confederation and to the valour of Canadians fighting in the First World War in Europe. <p>The next celebration was held in 1927 to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Confederation. It was highlighted by the laying of the cornerstone by the Governor General of the Confederation Building on Wellington Street and the inauguration of the Carillon in the Peace Tower. <p>Since 1958, the government has arranged for an annual observance of Canada's national day with the Secretary of State of Canada in charge of the coordination. The format provided for a Trooping the Colours ceremony on the lawn of Parliament Hill in the afternoon, a sunset ceremony in the evening followed by a mass band concert and fireworks display. <p>Another highlight was Canada's Centennial in 1967 when Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II attended the celebrations with Parliament Hill again being the backdrop for a large scale official ceremony. <p>The format changed in 1968 with the addition of multicultural and professional concerts held on Parliament Hill including a nationally televised show. Up until 1975, the focus of the celebrations, under the name "Festival Canada", was held in the National Capital Region during the whole month of July and involved numerous cultural, artistic and sport activities, as well as municipalities and voluntary organizations. The celebration was cancelled in 1976 but was reactivated in 1977. <p>A new formula was developed in 1980 whereby the National Committee (the federal government organization charged with planning Canada's Birthday celebrations) stressed and sponsored the development of local celebrations all across Canada. <p>"Seed money" was distributed to promote popular and amateur activities organized by volunteer groups in hundreds of local communities. The same approach was also followed for the 1981 celebrations with the addition of fireworks displays in 15 major cities across the nation. <p>On October 27, 1982, July 1st which was known as "Dominion Day" became "Canada Day". <p>Since 1985, Canada Day Committees are established in each province and territory to plan, organize and coordinate the Canada Day celebrations locally. Grants are provided by the Department to those committees.<p> :D
<hr></blockquote><p>
Thats what i was lookin for! I'll reward ya and rank ya 5 stars! lol
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

....but what that fabulous history lesson leaves out is how we celebrate today.....as I live in the Nations Capital (btw it's NOT Toronto) hundreds of thousands, flock to the downtown core and parlament regeon. There are concerts, street performers, music, public drunkeness. It's just like Mardis Gras....oh but in Ontario it's legal for women to go topless so we don't give beads for seeing boobs....we can see them for free. Then at night we have the craziest fireworks display.....which is famous for being the one of the best fireworks displays in the world.
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
mmonid

Post by mmonid »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Darren Hyderman:
It's just like Mardis Gras....oh but in Ontario it's legal for women to go topless so we don't give beads for seeing boobs....we can see them for free.<hr></blockquote><p>LOL :D That is so true! In America, they have the right to bear arms. In Canada (well, Ontario), we have the right to bare breasts. :D<p>[ July 01, 2003: Message edited by: reklez ]</p>
Matthew Monid

1993 MX-3 RS 5-Speed (Sold)/1997 Volvo 850 AWD Turbo 5-Speed
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Darren Hyderman:
BTW...1812 Canada is the only country to win a war against the U.S. Did you know that? We burned your White House. Sorry about that...but your new one is very nice.<hr></blockquote><p>I was told they just renovated the burnt one and painted the outside white because it was all charred and stuff and thats why its called the whitehouse.<p>
as I live in the Nations Capital (btw it's NOT Toronto)<hr></blockquote><p>it might as well be... its virtually the centre of everything in Canada
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

What I think is sad is that 99.9% of all Canadians know what July 4th is.....why don't the Americans know as much about our holidays. Most Canadians know the U.S. 1st president. But I bet few if any Americans could tell what the name of our 1st Prime Minister was without looking it up first. Canada is like America Junior but some Americans just don't know a thing about us....it's not like we're far away.<hr></blockquote><p>So who was the 1st president of the United States? J/K, lol. Personally, I've always known about Canada day and find a lot of stuff interesting about Canada. One thing I don't really care about is knowing who your Prime Ministers in the past were, lol. Its just not very practical information for me, its not even my country. Most people from other countries can say almost the same thing. I used to work at Sears, I had a Hispanic gentelmen come up to me and ask me why I didn't speak spanish fluently. How do you answer something like that? Or your question? Its not that we are ignorant, its just we really don't need all of that impractical information since we don't live in that country. I agree you should have information on other countries, but that which is important and absolutely should be learned about. I think people in America need to learn about America first, then move on to other countries, its amazing how many people don't know anything about the country they live in.<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Darren Hyderman:
BTW...1812 Canada is the only country to win a war against the U.S. Did you know that? We burned your White House. Sorry about that...but your new one is very nice.<hr></blockquote><p>I learned about this in school, but I don't think they generally teach that in school. It wasn't really even a war,it was very political actually, and I think you had some help from another country. It was more like, we tried to take you over, got pretty far...but then got pushed back and then you came down and burned down our white house. I'm still imbittered about that one. :D Does anyone have any factual information on this though? I've been wondering about this one for a while.<p>[ July 01, 2003: Message edited by: 992mmx3 ]</p>
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

Here is whats we celebrate :D <p>
1. Smarties <p>2. Crispy Crunch, Coffee Crisp <p>3. The size of our footballs fields and one less down <p>4. Baseball is Canadian <p>5. Lacrosse is Canadian <p>6. Hockey is Canadian <p>7. Basketball is Canadian <p>8. Apple pie is Canadian <p>9. Mr. Dress-up kicks Mr. Rogers *** <p>10. Tim Hortons kicks Dunkin' Donuts *** <p>11. In the war of 1812, started by America, Canadians pushed <p>the Americans back...past their 'White House'. Then we burned it...and most of Washington, under the command of William Lyon McKenzie who was insane and hammered all the time. We got bored because they ran away, so we came home and partied...Go figure.. <p>12. Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to Germany. <p>13. We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or withdrew during any war to anyone, anywhere. <p>14. Our civil war was a bar fight that lasted a little over an hour. <p>15. The only person who was arrested in our civil war was an American mercenary, who slept in and missed the whole thing.... but showed up just in time to get caught. <p>16. We knew plaid was cool far before Seattle caught on. <p>17. The Hudsons Bay Company once owned over 10% of the earth's surface and is still around as the worlds oldest company. <p>18. The average dog sled team can kill and devour a full grown human in under 3 minutes. <p>19. We still know what to do with all the parts of a buffalo. <p>20. We don't marry our kin-folk. <p>21. We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin, zambonis, the telephone and short wave radios that save countless lives each year. <p>22. We ALL have frozen our tongues to something metal and lived to tell about it. <p>23. A Canadian invented Superman.<p>BUT MOST IMPORTANT! <p>24. The handles on our beer cases are big enough to fit your hands with mitts on. OOOoohhhhh Canada!! <p>Oh yeah... and our elections only take one day. <p>Pass this on if you are proud to be Canadian!!! <p>I AM CANADIAN
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
macnwigs

Post by macnwigs »

another long story......<p>
The War of 1812 between Britain and the United States took place against the global backdrop of the long struggle between Britain, with a shifting series of European allies, and the French and European empire of Napoleon. In the first decade of the 1800s each side forbade neutral nations to trade with the other side, but only the British with the dominant Royal Navy could impose these restrictions upon a burgeoning American merchant marine which was beginning to trade worldwide. In addition to their search for contraband, the British stopped American ships to remove sailors whom they regarded as British subjects and, always desperate for trained manpower in the long wars with France, pressed them into service in the Royal Navy. Some British captains were not careful to ensure that these seamen were in fact British rather than American citizens.<p>The United States and Britain came to the brink of war in 1807 when the British ship HMS Leopard stopped the American frigate USS Chesapeake just outside American territorial waters. When the American vessel refused to be inspected, the British fired into the frigate, boarded it and removed four seamen whom the British captain claimed to be deserters. Although the British apologized, they did not end their stop and search practices.<p>During the same years the Americans came increasingly into conflict with both the British and the Native people living in the "Old Northwest" of the Ohio and upper Mississippi watersheds. Britain did not initially surrender such western posts as Fort Niagara, Detroit and Fort Michilimackinac to the Americans as required by the Treaty of Paris in 1783, which ended the American Revolution. First Nations in this region, who regularly gathered at these posts to trade, looked to the British to assist them to stem the encroaching tide of American settlement, but substantive help was not forthcoming. Nevertheless, expansionist "War Hawks" in the U.S. Congress accused the British of aiding the Native people. In June 1812, President James Madison declared war, convinced that this was the only way to bring pressure upon the British to address the Americans' maritime grievances and to appease the "War Hawks." Nothing happened for a month, until American Brigadier General William Hull crossed the Detroit River to occupy the far western Upper Canada outpost village of Sandwich.<p>At the beginning of the nineteenth century British North America was a collection of separate colonies or provinces -- Upper and Lower Canada, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, St. John's Island (Prince Edward Island) and Newfoundland -- united only by having a single governor general. With the exception of funds voted by the colonial legislatures for local defence, foreign relations and defence were British responsibilities. The Governor-in-Chief of British North America, Lieutenant-General Sir George Prevost, and the colonial lieutenant-governors were the effective military commanders and makers of local strategy. A shortage of British regular soldiers and the need for maritime control of the Great Lakes meant that British North American commanders had to adopt a primarily defensive strategy for the first two years of the war. Napoleon's defeat and abdication in early 1814 allowed Britain to transfer more of its troops from Europe to North America. While negotiations to end the war continued, both sides launched offensives that, while unsuccessful for both, involved the heaviest fighting of the war.<p>The war affected the various regions of British North America quite differently. Because the New England states generally opposed the war, the Maritimes quickly reached a peaceful arrangement with the Americans. The British colonies served chiefly as bases for the Royal Navy's blockade of the American seaboard and for privateering voyages against American merchant shipping.<p>In Lower Canada, present-day Quebec, the canadien population was by 1812 reconciled to British rule and turned out for militia service when ordered to do so. British North American Governor-in-Chief Prevost recognized that Lower Canada, especially Québec city, was key to a successful defence. In the end, however, the Americans launched only one major attack against the colony, which was thwarted by a mixture of British fencibles (regular troops recruited for local defence only) and canadien militia at the battle of Châteauguay in 1813.<p>Upper Canada was the scene of many of the military operations of the war. At the outset, support for the British administration was not easily forthcoming. Much of the colony had been only recently settled, largely from the United States, and many of these settlers could only be charitably described as "late Loyalists." There was sympathy for the American cause both in the colonial legislature and in the countryside. Determined to rally support for the British North American side, Major-General Isaac Brock, commander in Upper Canada, launched a pre-emptive strike on Detroit. His victories there and at Queenston Heights persuaded many colonists that the province could be held and that they must do their duties as militiamen in the fighting which continued over two and a half years.<p>Even within Upper Canada different areas were affected differently by the war. The eastern part of the colony faced a long open frontier with the Americans. Each side raided the other throughout the war but the Americans made only one real offensive here. In the autumn of 1813 an advance toward Montréal was thwarted at Crysler's Farm, near present-day Morrisburg. The Americans made more serious invasion attempts throughout the war along the Niagara frontier, where much of the heavy fighting took place. Brock's early advantage in taking Detroit was lost in 1813 by Major-General Henry Procter, who abandoned the western end of the colony after the defeat of the British squadron on Lake Erie. Although Procter was decisively defeated and his Shawnee ally Tecumseh killed by Major General William Henry Harrison, a future American president, at Moraviantown on the Thames River, the Americans did not pursue their advantage but withdrew to their Detroit base.<p>Peace negotiations began in the summer of 1814. Britain had invaded France and Napoleon had abdicated, permitting the transfer of British troops from Europe to North America. While peace talks continued, an expedition raided and burned Washington, D.C. The American negotiators in turn were heartened by the news that Lieutenant-General Prevost had abandoned his expedition against Plattsburg, N.Y., in September 1814 after his small naval squadron on Lake Champlain was destroyed. The Treaty of Ghent, signed on Christmas Eve, 1814, returned all territorial conquests made by either side but forced the British to abandon their tribal allies in the Northwest. The Treaty did not address the maritime causes of the war after all: with Napoleon's downfall they were no longer an issue.<p>
This is the old white house before it was destroyed in the burning of washington...
"A man is only as old as the woman he feels"
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 992mmx3:
<p>I learned about this in school, but I don't think they generally teach that in school. It wasn't really even a war,it was very political actually, and I think you had some help from another country. It was more like, we tried to take you over, got pretty far...but then got pushed back and then you came down and burned down our white house. I'm still imbittered about that one. :D Does anyone have any factual information on this though? I've been wondering about this one for a while.<p>[ July 01, 2003: Message edited by: 992mmx3 ]<hr></blockquote><p>The american army invaded canada and a bunch of farmers band togethor and picked up arms under the command of mr Simcoe later to become the simcoe rangers. Out numbered 3 to 1 the ranger defeated the amercains and pushed them back, along the way joining with other canadain forces taking over americain strong holds and forts. Pushing the border further and further down and being out number and out gunned the hole why untill they just desided they had enough and came home. Not bad for a bunch of farmers just think what we coud have done if we didnt get bored. Later the simcoe rangers was awarded the honors and the title queens york rangers and after things clean up between canada and the US the US gave the honors and title to them as the Queens York Ranger first American Regiment NS to this day I think they are the only regiment that hold the honor and title of 2 other countise but yet not be part of or surver those countires. Thats it in the smallest not shell that i can put it dosnt sound that political to me.
Proud to be Canadian

99 vitara 4x4
5spd_GS

Post by 5spd_GS »

Happy Canada Day everyone!!<p> :D
Calen Sansom
1994 MX-3 GS Sparkle Green
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mrspanky79:
Thats it in the smallest not shell that i can put it dosnt sound that political to me.<hr></blockquote><p>The story may not, but the reasons behind it are.<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mrspanky79:
Proud to be Canadian<hr></blockquote><p>I hope you don't think that I somehow object to this.<p>
:shrug:<p>[ July 01, 2003: Message edited by: 992mmx3 ]</p>
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

Spydie

Post by Spydie »

I don't think that Americans are ignorant about Canada.....they just don't know as much about us and it's not because we are tought about the U.S. in schools or anything. We're too busy learning about ourselves thank you. But like 90% of the t.v. we get is U.S. programming so we get a pretty good idea about the U.S. from that.<p>Incidently, Sir John A. McDonald was the 1st Canadian Prime minister. and George Washington was the first U.S. President. True it doesn't matter but we Canadians know it....because the Americans take great pride in broadcasting it. Even I know all the faces on Mt. Rushmore.
What's really funny is how many things the U.S. has adopted that they don't realize are ours. Try to count all the t.v. and movie stars that are Canadian. The telephone, NASA's robotic 'CANADARM', beer that isn't watered down and so on and so on and so on.<p>As for why don't Americans all speak spanish.....lol, that's like asking why all Canadians don't speak french, or say "eh". America and Canada are so alike that if you were to put look at a photo of a canuk and yank city you couldn't tell the difference.....except for the bilingual signs.
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

Just to let you know George Washington wasnt the first president of the United States is amazing how many people think that even americians. If im not wrong it was John Hanson.

99 vitara 4x4
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

Try to count all the t.v. and movie stars that are Canadian..<hr></blockquote><p>Could you pleeeeaaase take back Avril Levigne, lol! :D <p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Darren Hyderman:
The telephone, NASA's robotic 'CANADARM', beer that isn't watered down and so on and so on and so on.<hr></blockquote>
Actually, the telephone was an American invention, invented by Alexander Graham Bell who became an American citizen in 1871, and had his first success with the telephone in 1876. More history on it can be found here: http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventors/bell.htm<p>Could someone clear up what macnwigs posted, it sounds like the first white house got burned down while peace talks were taken place but wasn't very specific by whom it occured by, and why (I was taught it was done by Canadians). It sounds like there were Canadians serving with the British. I know we did invade on Canadian soil, fighting the British and some Canadians but how did it come to them burning down the white house during peace talks? Was the U.S.even involved in those peace talks, or just Britain and France? Why didn't I pay more attention during history class? :p<p>[ July 01, 2003: Message edited by: 992mmx3 ]</p>
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

5spd_GS

Post by 5spd_GS »

Most Canadians WERE British, French, and Irish eventually, we didnt just magically appear.. I.E. Canada being a Commonwealth country. Yes, it was an army of Canadian troops who did burn down the White House, and No, we dont all say "eh" and drive dog sleds.
Calen Sansom
1994 MX-3 GS Sparkle Green

Return to “Off-Topic”