4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
aznwithamx3

Re: highest hp that a bpt or b6t

Post by aznwithamx3 »

whats a haltech e6k?
The_Great_Tonge

Post by The_Great_Tonge »

cre8v, i feel out the chair laughin reading there posts. I understand the pain, when people see the last name Tonge they look for a china man. hehe :D
maldo

Post by maldo »

whoops, my bad. You know, I had often questioned that before - never really had anything within the emails we've exchanged to sway me either way. Not to be sexist or anything but it did suprise me at first that a woman would know all the technicalities with the BPT swap - then again, my girlfriend help with 75% of my swap. Good to know for future reference. ;) <P>About the power figures - haven't had it on a dyno yet. I know that I am over 155whp since i maxed out my 230cc injectors and that was its upper limit. There is a guy in town with the 323GT and runs the same basic figures as me and is estimating the same basic power figures. I would love to get it on the dyno. I know that at 10-13psi, I don't have that high of power but when running the higher 14-15psi it is near those limits. The desktop dyno shows that I have around the 225hp at 7000rpm.<P>Once again, sorry 'bout the mix up.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

it's all good bro. as you can imagine, i'm quite used to it by now ;) <P>about the figures. i say it might be possible that you're pushing 190 at about 15psi, but also, at that psi you're close to the limits of the factory turbo which, if pushed any more, could destroy the turbo. i also have this problem at 15-16psi on the stock turbo which puts me at about 250whp. now, this is just a guideline i was given by some very knowledgable people. even if it doesn't destroy the turbo, it's going over its capabilites which in turn could flatten the compressor blades which makes the turbo even less efficient.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

i will be pushing the 350- whp goal this year and trying for 450 with the nitrous. after about 10k into the motor. <BR> i started to build a web page but am not that good at it. you can check out some stuff on <A HREF="http://www.boostedmx.freeservers.com." TARGET=_blank>www.boostedmx.freeservers.com.</A> like i said its not done yet and there is a section missing on flow testing and engine management. im trying for low 11's and hope for 10's next year :D
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by boostedmx:<BR><STRONG>i will be pushing the 350- whp goal this year and trying for 450 with the nitrous. after about 10k into the motor. <BR> i started to build a web page but am not that good at it. you can check out some stuff on <A HREF="http://www.boostedmx.freeservers.com." TARGET=_blank>www.boostedmx.freeservers.com.</A> like i said its not done yet and there is a section missing on flow testing and engine management. im trying for low 11's and hope for 10's next year :D</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>what are you doing with the tranny? youre gonna snap axles early on, and then the case is going to start blowing apart later as you reach closer to 450whp.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
maldo

Post by maldo »

None of the IHI turbos are very effective past 16psi. Even at 15psi the turbo starts to fail above 5000rpm. The only real worth upgrade is the VJ16 or 17 which were both rally spec turbos. Either way, none of the direct bolt on turbos flow enough to effectively boost more than 260-280hp. My main problem breaking the 200hp limit is the turbo. I have been considering slapping down some serious cash on a Spearco i/c to help the cause. My next project will most likely involve an upgraded turbo and i/c setup. I am toying with the idea of a T28 or 16G, mated to the stock manifold via an adapter plate (for now). The T28 is capable of 260rwhp on the M1 miata so I figure that is a good thing to look at. The 16G is tempting because it has such massive support. Something to consider is upgraded injectors - I have been looking into buying FC3S turboII injectors (550cc high impedance for the 88-91 model years). With the rebuild, I have done everything possible to increase air flow in hopes of 5-10 extra hp, everything has been ported.<P>As for the 350-450whp goal - bettter have a lot of money for all those trannies you will need. From what I can remember, Dave went through something like 6 trannies in one summer (could be wrong on this). None of the stock Mazda trannies are designed to take more than 350hp, after that you just start breaking stuff. Not one of the 323 guys has been able to get a tranny to last for long without serious mods (cryo and shot peening the guts).
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maldo:<BR><STRONG>None of the IHI turbos are very effective past 16psi. Even at 15psi the turbo starts to fail above 5000rpm. The only real worth upgrade is the VJ16 or 17 which were both rally spec turbos. Either way, none of the direct bolt on turbos flow enough to effectively boost more than 260-280hp. My main problem breaking the 200hp limit is the turbo. I have been considering slapping down some serious cash on a Spearco i/c to help the cause. My next project will most likely involve an upgraded turbo and i/c setup. I am toying with the idea of a T28 or 16G, mated to the stock manifold via an adapter plate (for now). The T28 is capable of 260rwhp on the M1 miata so I figure that is a good thing to look at. The 16G is tempting because it has such massive support. Something to consider is upgraded injectors - I have been looking into buying FC3S turboII injectors (550cc high impedance for the 88-91 model years). With the rebuild, I have done everything possible to increase air flow in hopes of 5-10 extra hp, everything has been ported.<P>As for the 350-450whp goal - bettter have a lot of money for all those trannies you will need. From what I can remember, Dave went through something like 6 trannies in one summer (could be wrong on this). None of the stock Mazda trannies are designed to take more than 350hp, after that you just start breaking stuff. Not one of the 323 guys has been able to get a tranny to last for long without serious mods (cryo and shot peening the guts).</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Agreed....and axles start snapping around 250lb-ft if you launch hard or have good tires.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
aznwithamx3

Post by aznwithamx3 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maldo:<BR><STRONG>None of the IHI turbos are very effective past 16psi. Even at 15psi the turbo starts to fail above 5000rpm. The only real worth upgrade is the VJ16 or 17 which were both rally spec turbos. Either way, none of the direct bolt on turbos flow enough to effectively boost more than 260-280hp. My main problem breaking the 200hp limit is the turbo. I have been considering slapping down some serious cash on a Spearco i/c to help the cause. My next project will most likely involve an upgraded turbo and i/c setup. I am toying with the idea of a T28 or 16G, mated to the stock manifold via an adapter plate (for now). The T28 is capable of 260rwhp on the M1 miata so I figure that is a good thing to look at. The 16G is tempting because it has such massive support. Something to consider is upgraded injectors - I have been looking into buying FC3S turboII injectors (550cc high impedance for the 88-91 model years). With the rebuild, I have done everything possible to increase air flow in hopes of 5-10 extra hp, everything has been ported.<P>As for the 350-450whp goal - bettter have a lot of money for all those trannies you will need. From what I can remember, Dave went through something like 6 trannies in one summer (could be wrong on this). None of the stock Mazda trannies are designed to take more than 350hp, after that you just start breaking stuff. Not one of the 323 guys has been able to get a tranny to last for long without serious mods (cryo and shot peening the guts).</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>what is agood tranny to use?is it the protege LX?
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

your right i will be snapping axles+transmissions, thats why i have been collecting spares. :D :D :D<P>i have a hookup on mtx's for 80 bucks out of 323's. plus it only takes about 30 min, for a trans to be removed. between the two im set untill i find the fix. if gears have to be made from titanium or they have to be treated. still not looking at that much to do all this. next year AWD!!<p>[ July 10, 2002: Message edited by: boostedmx ]
aznwithamx3

Post by aznwithamx3 »

if i get a protege lx and get my car up to 280hp work?or will i need a better one and axle
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

The protege transmission is the best avail. it would be fine.
Manach

Post by Manach »

Any of the 3 Manual transmission is ok? There is 3 transmission for the BP-DE, which are F25M-R, G5M-R, G25M-R. all those 3 Tranny are 2wd.<P>I ask that question on the Yahoo list, none answer which one is stronger.. :\
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

im not sure of the exact code but the one that comes with the bpt turbo engine is the strongest. i know the gm5r is basically the one that comes with you dohc mx3 so dont go with that one.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by boostedmx:<BR><STRONG>im not sure of the exact code but the one that comes with the bpt turbo engine is the strongest. i know the gm5r is basically the one that comes with you dohc mx3 so dont go with that one.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Ill ask Braden later, but IIRC, there was ZERO difference between the tranny mated to the BPT as opposed to the BP8
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”