Vecia's 1994 MX-3: UPDATE - 8/06/12 New Picture!

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Vecia
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Vecia's 1994 MX-3: UPDATE - Back to Engine Hunting...

Post by Vecia »

Had a little time this weekend so I decided to repair the dings and dents on my driver's side quarter panel as well as the messed up paint job I did a few months ago. Glad that side is finally done

Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

great job, looks good
Vecia

Post by Vecia »

Thanks, man!
ethand

Post by ethand »

Wow, that's some nice panel work right there! you make it look so easy! ;)
Awesome results, you must be real happy with that :)
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
bbunkerc397
antispam: No

Post by bbunkerc397 »

That's the way things should be done, great job and sweet ride.
1996 MX-3 KL-ZE with Eunos 800 IM, factory side skirts,. "Owner since 2001 my 14th year"
1992 929s 20B-REW Lowered, 17" chrome Millenia rims, custom black interior. "13th Owner 9th year"
2006 Chevy HHR LT "Bought Brand New - East Side Chevy" Sold to my Dad
Vecia

Post by Vecia »

Thanks, guys. Allot happier with the results this time... only took me 4 attempts and 3 mess-ups to get it to where I can live with it. lol. Much respect to those people that do it for a living. It takes real talent for sure.
Vecia

Post by Vecia »

Did some engine bay clean-up the other day. Taking care of water pump, timing belt, tensioner/idler pulleys, new cam gears, front oil seal and valve cover gasket this weekend...

Ive read the write-up on the water-pump change for the V6 and allot of similar ones on the L4, but I'll do you B6DE guys a good one with step by step photos. If there is already some out there, then forgive me. Its just the timing ones don't really have much to go on. I'm pretty familiar with 4 cyl, DOHC timing and water pump changes so I figure I might as well contribute :)

Enjoy.
Vecia

Post by Vecia »

PS, not the best engine bay clean up, I know but I was actually clearing my headlights and got side tracked.. lol I'll do a better one soon after the CAI arrives.
Vecia

Post by Vecia »

All I can say is, WOW. What a freaking task.

After what seamed like a million hours of frustration and mosquitos, I finally finished my list of maintenance issues. Changed out the water pump, timing belt, timing pulleys, cam seals, front oil seal and new oil filter as well as flushed the coolant system and refilled with new fluids in both the cooling system and engine. Had some major problems through out the 2 days it took me; issues that I didn't realy prepare for such as the mounting bolt on the alternator was so tight we couldn't close in the adjustment in order to slide on or off the belt causing a major headache when it came time to put it back on.

The previous valve cover gasket that I had put on was a nightmare to get off due to the space age SVT sealant used with the gasket adhering like concrete. took over 3 hours to get it all off.

Torque wrench broke about half way through the process leaving us with no way to torque anything down so most was done by feel. Exchanging the wrench for a new one at some point this week.

Needless to say, I didn't get any pics through out the job. Everything I have read here and other places only confirm to be right; the timing on this car is nothing short of a B---ch to work through.

After all was said and done, We finally got her all back together and she started right up. had to go back a burp the thermostat as it was stuck closed but after pouring a little collant down the upper hose, the thero clicked open and she was back to circulating properly.

Not all is well however.

My car now has a horrible throttle response in first and second gear. You hit the accelerator and let off of the clutch and the car boggs like it wants to die until you hit about 3k rpms. then, power regains a bit and is back to normal once third gear is achieved. I can only guess it is a timing issue... maybe off a tooth or something. I have read a few things about advancing or retarding the timing but unsure if this can be done through the disti or not. Ive search several times and nothing seams to touch on this particular issue itself.

If any of you guys out there can direct me where to research, that would be awesome. Or if anyone of you guys have dealt with this, that would be cool too. Thanks.
Vecia

Post by Vecia »

All done!!!!

This was a pretty awesome step by step for me to follow.

http://www.mazdabg.com/ftp-uploads/Mazd ... ension.htm

For all of you new guys, a bit of advice; be sure and adjust your Distributor Timing Advance by loosing the two Disti adjustment screws and turning the Disti in very small increments should you end up with a rough idle or poor acceleration after the timing belt has been installed and set. If I'm not mistaken, its forward to Advance and backward to Retard.

Thanks!
Vecia

Re: Vecia's 1994 MX-3: UPDATE - CAI Installed...

Post by Vecia »

Installed Cold Air Intake. Wow, what a difference something so simple makes.

WEAPON-R SECRET AIR INTAKE 96-98 MAZDA MX6/626 4CYL 2.5 (302-116-101)

Went with this one due to the fact that it's the one from Weapon R that they suggest on their website for the MX-3 with the 1.6. Customer Support was awesome. Not any differences with the other intakes other than piping length and the number of bungs from what they said.

Vecia

Post by Vecia »

Okay, redid the CIA the way it should be. Runs allot better. Better throttle response too.

_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

You got rid of the actual aluminum tubing and went back to the stock accordian? Why? Those ridges should be slowing down the throttle response compared to the tubing. Btw Weapon R is pricy, you don't mind dishing out the loot for the good stuff huh?
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Vecia

Post by Vecia »

I kept the alum piece. Ill use it at some point for sure. I got it on ebay for a good price so no, i didnt spend an arm and a leg and yes, i do mind spending money i dont have... Lol.

Its weird because it seems to be running allot better without the alum pipe. Ill have to relocate the battery before i try again.
Vecia

Post by Vecia »

Not really much to report as money has been tight with the new job and all but check out what I got on Craigslist for 10 BUCKS!!!!!!

Freaking awesome!!!

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”