0 spark.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
cWs306
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: 0 spark.

Post by cWs306 »

Went and metered my coil and its reading .123-.169 ohms from the 2 posts supposed to be .75-.81 and reading 4.96k supposed to read 4.5k. i take it by those numbers, my coil is shot? enough to run but not enough to zoom zoom?
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

heeey, where do i go to buy one of those caps that are already modded for the external coil? i remember seeing a link somewhere. just forgot what its even called, so searching doesnt help :P

EDIT: nevermind remembered its PRD haha. so are they caps a-okay?
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

So... had that crazy jerking and bogging problem eh. well i switched the module back to the old gm one i used originally and whatd yah knooowww. it runs and hauls a-- again.. so now thats two parts i bought from rock auto that have been faulty.. a full distributor with cap n rotor n coil. coils effed. 4 prong ignition module. doesnt run the car under load. like wow. i keep my statement,

NEVER ORDER FROM ROCK AUTO! NO MATTER HOW GOOD THE DEAL IS!
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

glad to hear the problem is fixed. regarding rock auto i made my first order from them last sunday for a knock sensor with $33 expedited shipping and it still hasnt arrived. a little disappointed thus far. i think im gonna stick with amazon.com from now on...
davmac

Post by davmac »

Happy to hear the problems are resolved. Sorry to hear of the bad experiences with RockAuto. I've had nothing but good experiences with them - but living in the US might help - especially with delivery that almost always exceeds expectations.

However for auto parts a majority of my shopping is the old fashioned way. It is usually much faster to get a part and much easier to return it to the store in town. My favorite: order online and pickup at the store. Also ordering online from a store that has locations near you for returns.

Anyway glad the car is finally sorted out.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

Thanks everyone for all the help! and yah im just dealing with them now. funny how a 25+ year old ignition module works better then a new remanded one. still having an issue once i get over 4000rpms. but im 100% sure its the old a-- module.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

Hey got a question. Would my chugging/bogging problem be caused by the numbers 4 and 5 spark plug wires being backwards? because i read that with some ZE distys you need to switch 4-5 n 5-4 for it to run properly. and also, if that doesnt fix it, would my disty be pooched if it starts to bog out at like 4k rpms n to much throttle?
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

if your plugs were in the wrong order youd know it, horrible knocking and very unstable idle from a incorrect firing order.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

ohhhhh okay yah thats what i was thinkin too. had to double check n make sure. what about the other part? the crapped out disty?
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

figured it out. it was my rear o2 sensor! hahah had to wires the one that came with the ZE to my harness and i guess a few of the wires came disconnected and was sending the wrong signal. wired it properly and put 2 grounds on the module also. 1 ground on the bracket where i got the bolt to hold it down, then one from that bolt to the battery negative. nice and cool too.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

THE PROBLEMS BACK! :(

OKAY SO RIGHT BACK AT STAGE ONE AGAIN! No spark. Car has ran fine and ran good since this post ended, then i went n timed it about 3 days ago(didnt need to right away because i was only 1degree off from being perfect) so did that, went out cruisen and racin ran good, won some lost some. yada yada. then last night (2 days later) i went to fire it up to go to my girlfriends and it started fine but ran SOOOOOOO bad, sounded like a major vac leak or something. but then it stopped after the car for fully warmed up. so i thought maybe my ignition coil was just really cold or something. drove it last night ran fine, started multiple times. went to leave my girlfriends this morning and it started and did the same thing as last night. ran like s--- but this time it would bog it self out so bad it would kill it self. so id have to fire it up again. then i had the idea, maybe my fuel pump is a little hooped and i need to keep it above 1/4 tank to run. so i went and got gas and put it in. started the car and it seemed to fix it.... ran steady, no funny bogging or anything. so i was like uhhhh.... k? waited a bit till it was nice n warm. went to drive, accelerated to 2500 in 1st, shifted to 2nd started to accelerate, and the second i said "hmmm it seems to be fixed and not doing it now" n gave it more gas and it went dead. no gas or nothing, tryed to start it as i was rolling and it would just crank n crank like before. and i checked everything, nothing is different then before. but theres no spark out of the cable, didnt have anything to check the disty or anything. lemme know EVERYTHING you can think of that will cause this, i know theres got to be some things ive missed and dunno about that controlls this bullcrap spark. i do have a HEI mod done, gm module, msd blaster 2 coil, powertower modder distributor cap.

thank you for the help. very much appreciated!
mazdaspeed23

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

You have no spark to the wires? if not, check and see if you have spark to the disty/coil. Make sure your getting fuel, 12v to the disty.. Disties have a condenser inside of them. If that condenser is done you can still get spark to the coil. if you have a extra disty around try that.
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
1994 MX-3 GS Swapped ZE (Gone)
1996 Dodge Dakota Sport v8 Magnum
2007 Ford Fusion SE

WORK LOG: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=81232

My MX-3 is nothing without me, and i am nothing without my MX-3

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”