BP Transmission blew up?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Joe Carlson

BP Transmission blew up?

Post by Joe Carlson »

I just got done with my engine swap this afternoon, and i had it up on jack stands running it and checking different things out. I put it in gear and let out the clutch and heard a bam, so i shut it off, and look underneath it, and the case split and was dumping out 80w, and shot out three teeth from the spidergears, and i'm just thinking WTF. Now before the swap, i didn't have any transmission problems, and i couldn't figure out how all of a sudden it would just granade on me. I didn't have any problems putting the CV's back in or anything. So what do you guys think would have happened?
92 MX-3 1.8L DOHC BP, 17" Konig wheels, 2.5 exuast, custom CAI, inverted style carbon fiber hood, GT-Combat body kit.
Joe Carlson

Re: BP Transmission blew up?

Post by Joe Carlson »

Can anybody tell what they think happened? I'm not sure but this happened to me before, not quite to this degree, but on my stock mx-3 tranny when i took out the cv's the side/spider gears must of had some slop in them, b/c i couldn't get them to stay in after that and the chattered real bad. What i'm guessing that happend this time is when i took out the cv's the spidergears must of gotten out wack maybe the cross pin slid out, and when i put it in gear it just tossed it, before though this tranny didn't make a sounds it seemed great. Does that sound right to anybody?
92 MX-3 1.8L DOHC BP, 17" Konig wheels, 2.5 exuast, custom CAI, inverted style carbon fiber hood, GT-Combat body kit.
Joe Carlson

Re: BP Transmission blew up?

Post by Joe Carlson »

Found out what happend, i got my new tranny today and put it in, and while taking the old one out I found that it blew off a good 6in around section from top of the differencial, where the spedo gear goes in. And while putting my cv's in, one of the side gears slipped out of place and it found it's way out the top of the tranny. The sidegears are cupped to where they can slide out if both cv's aren't in at the same time. So i found that out the hard way and $350 later.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”