Car doesn't start.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
MZein

Car doesn't start.

Post by MZein »

My car, 1992 MX-3 4-cyl, turns but doesn't start unless I use jumpers and give it a boost. This is especially true since it's colder. In the summer I never experienced this problem. All battery operating items on dash work fine. I think it's the spark plugs cause it turns but doesn't start. I also have an idle problem, approx. 2 rpm, when the engine is cold but when it warms it's about 1 or less (rpm).

Any advice regarding this is appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Grants
BANNED Member

Re: Car doesn't start.

Post by Grants »

If it starts with a jump start I'd say its either your battery is dying or ground problems.

You say the motor turns over, but does the starter motor crank the engine at normal crank speed (like when its warmer) or slower? Can you check the battery voltage while its cranking and also with the engine off?

The idle just sounds a bit fast, I think it should be about 1500 rpm cold and 700 warm but I'm sure someone else an confirm that.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
MZein

Post by MZein »

Yes, it does crank.
But I'll be checking the crank speed and comparing etc.later.

<small>[ November 09, 2004, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Moukhtar ]</small>
plusinfinit

Post by plusinfinit »

You might have a weak batery that does not provide enough coldcranking amps to satrt your car. You can chek your batery with a voltmeter. First turn on your headlights on bright for a minute, turn them off, let the car sit for a min and than check that you have at least 12 volts betwen the batery terminalsl. This procedure gets rid of the surface charge which might fool you the first time. I susupect you have a weak batery. Batery is always DC volts.
StPapp

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”