Re: UNABLE TO START

Post by ninja_7502001 »

EVERYTHING LOOKS GOOD, NO CRACKS IN INTAKE
Mike
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Have you checked that you have got spark? Its not mentioned previously...
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
ninja_7502001

Post by ninja_7502001 »

yes, i changed spark plugs abt a week ago and checked for a spark.
Mike
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

sounds like it could be a MAF problem to me.... Anyone ever tried to start the car when the maf is disconnected? Sounds similar, would start, then die right away. Check the connections on the maf. If there is nothing wrong with the fuel pump, this should be the next thing you check
ninja_7502001

Post by ninja_7502001 »

Could you tell me where MAF is located please.
Mike
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

just follow the intake pipe from the TB outwards. It's between the TB and the air filter, should have a plug on it.
ninja_7502001

Post by ninja_7502001 »

Ahh ok, air flow sensor. The story with it is:
Before when the car would start with no problem, car was choking on slow rpm's - i took it to a shop and mechanic said its the MAF sensor. Engine light never went on. Then after couple of weeks car wouldnt start. I bought a new MAF sensor but its from the older model, so i didnt even put it in - still got the old one in there.
Now this problem started, so i didnt think it would give starting issues because of it. Do u think that could be the problem - how can i make sure??

<small>[ November 15, 2004, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: ninja_7502001 ]</small>
Mike
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

I accidently left the MAF disconnected once, it started, idle speed was up and down, drove 10 yards, stopped and wouldn't start again until I plugged it back in. What it would do is sorta fire, sound like it was gonna run but then die.

Sounds just like your problem. If the MAF was playing up before it seems even more likely. My monies on that being the problem.

Unplug the MAF and see if the symptoms remain exactly consistent with what your currently experiencing.

<small>[ November 15, 2004, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: Grants ]</small>
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
ninja_7502001

Post by ninja_7502001 »

Yeah, I tried disconnecting MAF sensor and gave it 3 cranks to try starting it again with no luck. Will replace MAF. Going to try starting it again with out it.

Thx
Mike
Kamikid

Post by Kamikid »

I'm watching this thread closely, because I've been having the same problems. My car wont start and when I brought it in to the mechanic they said it was the distributor. I got it fixed, but one day ;later it wouldn't start again. So I had it brought back. They changed the spark plugs and it worked. For one day... I haven't figured out what it wrong. But, my friends dad owns a shop and we're going to bring it and and do some work on it.
LongJohn

Post by LongJohn »

Kamikid, yours sounds intermittant. Everytime someone plays around inside the engine compartment, it works for a short while. Try wiggling the MAF connector, and even try gently banging it with a hammer. Not that this would fix anything, but it might help you home in on the cause.
ninja_7502001

Post by ninja_7502001 »

If iam getting a spark, can the problem still be in distributor ??
Mike
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

I agree, Either the MAF or fuel pump. When I screwed up my MAF, I had the same problems. Good luck
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

The only way i can see the distributor being a problem is if its wet... so if your not sprayin up from under the engine with a hose, it shouldnt be the distributor, esp if you getting a spark...

i think
1993 RS Teal
ninja_7502001

Post by ninja_7502001 »

1st - Thanks to everyone for participating in this.
Car does not start. Changed: spark plugs, fuel filter - still the same problem. I think I hear fuel pump working. MAF sensor, i know it should start even when disconnected - it should only effect you once driving. What other possible problems I might have, I'm stock :(
Mike

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”