startup problems

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
happyclown

startup problems

Post by happyclown »

I live way up north, where it get really cold... but even now, when its not so cold... mid 40's... i have huge troubles starting

When i turn the key i get this nasty clanky grindy noise, almost like the one you get if you hold it too long... on warm days its not so bad, but the other night it was pretty cold, i went to start her up and it sounded like the car was ripping its self apart.

I think its the starter and plan on replacing that, but a guy i work with said he would replace the flywheel himself...

could the flywheel make it start so rough?
and
how easy is it to install a starter or flywheel myself... im not a mechanic but i know what im doing! ;)
1993 RS Teal
Joe Carlson

Re: startup problems

Post by Joe Carlson »

yeah it sounds like your starter and flywheel aren't meshing together right, and if it's been doing it for a while, there is a really good chance its chewed up the flywheel as well. To replace the fly wheel you have to have the engine out, but the starter is much more simpler, its just a matter of unplugging it and unbolting it from the bellhousing, there's not much to it.

Joe
92 MX-3 1.8L DOHC BP, 17" Konig wheels, 2.5 exuast, custom CAI, inverted style carbon fiber hood, GT-Combat body kit.
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

m'kay, cool... would it be a bad idea to replace the starter, like now! and wait on replacing the flywheel for a while. or should i try and replace them both at the same time?
1993 RS Teal
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Before changing anything, pull the starter out and have a look at the bendix. It could just be that its not throwing in properly so a good look and test would be the best bet first.

You shouldn't have to replace the whole starter motor if its only the bendx that is u/s.

<small>[ October 18, 2004, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Grants ]</small>
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

awsome... where is the starter at... is it easy to get to?
I've never had to replace a starter or anything... is there a site with manuals, or is it possible for someone to post a pic? with arrows :p

I gotta get to it... I had to roll start it three times today...
1993 RS Teal
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Go to the main page mx-3.com. On the left is a link to an online manual. Section G covers the starter motor. Good luck!

Oh and don't forget to disconnect the battery before disconnectng the starter motor. And what you want to look at is the cog right on the end that engages the flywheel - you don't have to strip the starter motor. And then see if you can see the flywheel and inspect its cogs for wear.

<small>[ October 19, 2004, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Grants ]</small>
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

i went to the online shop manual which is here: http://www.mx-3.com/emblem/#

But thats for the 1995 versions, i've got a 1993... and i couldnt find anything in there about the starter...

am i missing a link or not finding it in the manual?
1993 RS Teal
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Ah thats not the place in your link but it is for a 95 so you probably where in the right place. (Main page of mx-3.com, on the left under Technical Info, Online Shop Manual.)

Look up Section G Engine Electrical, select page 001 for the Electrical Index and then you can see the starter motor starts on page G-34.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”