Whats the best thing to do?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
MX-3 Caper

Whats the best thing to do?

Post by MX-3 Caper »

Hey all!
I'm new to the site and I've had my 96 DOHC 1.6 for about a month now and I love the car...but as I read all the mods everyone is doing I can't help to pick up the bug.
As for physical mods, thats not a problem but I'm more interested in internal.
After reading and reading on so many topics of engine swaps, forced induction, etc...my question is...what would be the best thing to do for some major performance upgrades?
and how much money is expected to be spent??
BTW, I'm not looking to spend crazy amounts of money
Thanks in advance
Aaron
96' 1.6 DOHC
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Whats the best thing to do?

Post by mitmaks »

turbo it
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

www.racingmazda.com

get the mx-3 4cycl turbo!!!
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

Originally posted by Typhoonk:
www.racingmazda.com

get the mx-3 4cycl turbo!!!
hm.. Will that fit it?? Because its made for us SOHC drivers, and this guy's got a DOHC.
Dunno if that would work, but if it does that would take a lot of work off of us SOHC folk's backs, seeing as there are many more DOHC parts than SOHC.
:shrug:
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

it will not fit a DOHC, but yes do turbo it or swap it
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
MX-3 Caper

Post by MX-3 Caper »

ok, so turbo will add a nice kick to it thats for sure....but can it be done for my car??...as in bolt in and not custom?
Sorry, these may be common questions but most of the things I see on here are for the 1.8's or higher.
Thanks for the feedback and look forward to learning new things about these great cars
Aaron
96' 1.6 DOHC
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

search for b6t swaps and/or b6t custom turbo. kick @$$ mazda i believe has a link in his sig that shows you how to do this. to me, this would probably be the cheapest route.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
jumboplay

Post by jumboplay »

All interesting options, but I had to throw in my two cents. I have a 96 RS as well...don't forget it's OBDII! Such a pain in the *** for swapping and junkyard parts. Extra sensors, more wires...blah. Just keep that in mind, you'd need an ECU, harness, etc if you did anything drastic. Sucks but what can you do?
-Tom J, proud MX-3 pilot-
Get your entertainment upgraded at http://www.tommyv2.com

1996 MX-3 RS/GS hybrid, OBDII B6-ZE, painted Mazda crystal white, ZX-2+Eibach, Miglia Spyder 17"s, markerflash, black altezzas, insane fuel economy, too many other mods to list...

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”