Horrible Gas millage.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Reprobation14

Horrible Gas millage.

Post by Reprobation14 »

Okay... so i haven't had my Mx-3 all that long... so im not too sure.. When i bought the car, he told he replaced the spark plugs / wires, ect.. and did some general maintainence.

Well, i've had the car for about 6 thousand miles now... had 3 oil changes done (did one the first day i got it.. cause the oil looked horrible), have replaced the air filter with one i had to buy from the dealership (which is okay.. cause now i get a deeper sound and more power! :-D) I've also used fuel injector cleaner twice (after each oil change).

Anyways.. im getting horrible gas miliage still.
I don't know what it could be.. the car sounds great (and looks great) - but im only getting like 190-200 miles per tank. whats going on? or is this average?

The car is a 1994 rs. 1.6 L DOHC.
thanks for the help guys.
Shady469
Supporting Member

Re: Horrible Gas millage.

Post by Shady469 »

check your O2 sensor(s). when.if they get clogged or go bad ur mpg goes to poop. also might want to check your egr valve and fuel filter.
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
hondah8er13

Post by hondah8er13 »

those are great suggestions: pcv valve, and fuel filter, also what kind of plugs are you using? others might disagree but i swear by bosch platinums..... also not sure about the dohc but on my 92 1.6L sohc they try to sell you the specific o2 sensor but the universal (which is way cheaper) will work just fine. hope this helps
Zoom-Zoom
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

a clogged cat will do this too. does the exhaust have a funny smell? (similar to rotten eggs :throwup: )

again, check the fuel filter. the O2 should throw a code if it's bad.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

im having kinda the same problem i think, i have a sohc and if i can get 300(highway miles) im lucky...is that normal?...i checked my codes and i think my o2 sensor is bad...(code 17) i looked in my book and said o2 sensor...i normally get about 250 miles...HELP!!!
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
plusinfinit

Post by plusinfinit »

Hey guys about that bad gasmileage on the 4 cil mx-3 .....hmm fu.... sh.. . I did complete tune up: distributor cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs with the correct gap, new O2 sensor, new fuel filter, replaced old air filter with a cone shaped one, checked on my PCV valve, but the gas mileage still sux. I get around 225 miles combined on a tank of gas. I could not find the EGR valve on the soch mx-3. So i had a talk to a mechanic and he totld me to put higher octane gas, because the gas in winter a a lot of alcohool in it and that might affect my gasmileage. So i buy high octane now and my gasmileahe went up with at least 5 miles a galon. I don't know whats up with my car since i have an MSD control on it but i am afraid that all that pover messed up something with my ignittion.
PS: a bad gasmileage might also be the result of draging brakes, a messed up alignment and a rich runing engine. Coldstarting a car in february takes a lot of gasssssss.
StPapp

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”