BPD Swap, once smooth till now!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
dreamsforgotten

BPD Swap, once smooth till now!

Post by dreamsforgotten »

I am in the middle of the BDP (Protege Lx) swap in a 92 MX3. I have the engine mounted to the MX3 chassis and the wiring harness hooked up. The engine will not start. Here is what I have done:
1. Changed spark plugs and distributor, done
a. spark test on block to make sure it was grounded
b. done spark test on chassis to ensure spark
2. ran new fuel lines and swapped out fuel regulator on old engine to new one. (new one was busted)
3. wiring harness didn't match up the black rail that holds the injectors electronics so I swapped the rail off the 1.6 to the 1.8 but not the injectors...(might be the problem dunno?)
4. Pulled main fuel line off of the engine and gas shoots out. <p>I figure I have gas and spark but they are not meeting. This is either a problem with the injectors or fuel pressure but I don't see why the fuel pressure isn't where it was before the swap I'm running the same fuel pump and I haven't altered it. Can anyone offer me some advise?
OsoSlo z28

Re: BPD Swap, once smooth till now!

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

check and recheck your timing. once you do that, check it again.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

is it turning over just not firing up or not doing anything at all? if its turning over try rotating the disty forward and back (slowly) while cranking. check also and be sure everything is TDC. also are you throwing any codes?.
also if it is turning over but not cranking you should be fouling(maybe thats to strong of a word) the plugs. if they are not damp in the least bit, make sure youve got the fuel line going the right way.(i know it sounds simple but it was alot of this little stuff tha held my swap back).<p>[ June 18, 2003: Message edited by: Shady469 ]</p>
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
dreamsforgotten

Well I rotated the distributor while trying to crank the engine. I am not sure but I think I need to swap the injectors off the 1.6 to the 1.8 if the fuel pressure my pump is pushing isn't enough for the protege lx's. The engine is turning just not firing up. What exactly does it mean by throwing any codes? BTW I am still using the MX 3 1.6 ecu and harness until my I can afford the new one. Also the fuel line is hooked up the right way and the fuel is getting to the 1.8 injectors I loosed one up and gas poured out a lot.
dreamsforgotten

Thank you guys for the help and as quickly as you gave it. There were two problems I fixed both of them. The timing was off and that was a major part but there was one other problem that I feel foolish about not finding. I set the firing order for the MX 3 engine and not the Protege LX. It is running now, but I still have a few problems to handle like the two bolts on the tranny that snapped at 40 ftlbs of torque and are recommened to 67. I have to call Mazda and get a whole new bolt set.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”