My motor is on it's last breath

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jap

My motor is on it's last breath

Post by jap »

I have a 1993 SOHC MX3. I think the head gasket is leaking oil but it's wierd because the leak looks like it sits on top on the headers. Is this for sure the head gasket or what? I cant tell with these SOHC, I'm so used to the DOHC engines. Another thing is that the car transmission is manual, but it is acting like an automatic. When I'm in gear and accelerating, the RPM gauge goes up and then drops back down like an automatic car does. Also the car doesn't pick up speed untill after this happens. I also have to adjust the idle speed screw at 1,500 RPM because any lower than that and the car seems to not run right. <p>1. Is the idle problem a quick fix or is the car on it's last breath?
2. Is the leak coming from the head gasket or the valve cover if the oil is on top of the headers?
ryanlindenberg

Re: My motor is on it's last breath

Post by ryanlindenberg »

if it's on top of the headers it would be a valve cover gasket. as for the accelerating problem, maybe you clutch is slipping and when it starts to grab it causes the RPMs to drop because it actally is pulling a load then???<p>and no idea on the idling problem
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
azmtbkr81

Re: My motor is on it's last breath

Post by azmtbkr81 »

For the idle problem check all your vaccuum line connections. If they are not all hooked up it can cause some funky idle problems. Also it could be your air idle control valve which lets in enough air for your car to idle, it may be clogged or the actual valve may be shot.
'94 Blaze Red RS<P>I may not have a lot of horsepower but I know how to use it!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”