rx-7

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Mx-3 Xplod

rx-7

Post by Mx-3 Xplod »

ok this summer i want to swap out an rx-7 twin turbo into my 93 4cilndr sohc i need answers to a few ? ok first if i get an rx-7 engine will i have to get an rx-7 clutch? what about exhaust? what about cold air intake? ok i got another one if i get an rx-7 engine will it benifit me better to get a twin turbo engine or a non turbo and buy two turbos? what kind of hp does a twin turbo get and what kind does a normal one get? im talkin about new engines like 90 and up.
thanx
i shall drop and rx-7 twin turbo in my 93 4 banger
mx3man83

Re: rx-7

Post by mx3man83 »

intake and exhaust are the least of ur worries. Making your car RWD is going to be your biggest problem. Good luck.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

you will need some stand alone computer for the car........
hmmm....maybe a beefed up sub frame....'
new tranny, new gas tank(probally)<p>prob about 13'g + if yah wanna do it just but an rx7
jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

no disrespect bro, but i think you should do a little more research on motors and horsepower.. sounds like you're still in the basics.. but if you have the money to dish out for someone to do the swap for you, i say go for it and don't worry about those things. the one doing the swap will. :D
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

if you have the money to put a 13b into a MX-3, you should get a FD. It's really that simple.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

HEEEEEheeeeeee hhaaahahaa.
Here is a small list you need:
-20B 3rotor twin turbo engine from cosmo (screw the 13B if your gonna go this far!)
-Tube frame the front end so you can mount the motor (otherwise you won't).
-Convert to rear wheel drive (break out the torch & welder or jack up the car bubba, thats gonna be a LONG c-notch to accompany the 3" custom exhaust AND drive shaft)
-get a fuel cell & ditch the gas tank, then break out the torch and welder again cuz the spare tire well has to go in order for the rear diff to have room to fit under the car.
-Stand Alone engine management is the ONLY thing that will make this monster run!
-the rest is custom plumbing for the motor & you gotta figure out how to make a shift linkage system work (I'd swap in a 93-95 RX-7's)
-The a shiznet load of dyno time tunning
-Add a boost controller & you got 400HP on stock twin turbos!<p>-OHHHHH myyyyy guess what...you've almost got a car like Marcos Acosta!!!! Only he ripped out the twins and went to a MONSTER single turbo w/ a 150HP wet shot to spool it, then tubbed it for monster slicks in the rear...It was good for around a 7.5secong 1/4 mile pass at around 200MPH!!! Then somebody stole his entire car AND trailer!!! <p>-I hope you got about $30-40 Grand to work with. The basics could be done for MAYBE $10-15 Grand if you did ALL the work.<p>-I was gonna do it till I found out the hardest part was tube framing the front end and converting to RWD. Not to mention the money part. Thats why I did the B6T. ;)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

P.S.<p>Thats not by NO means a complete list of parts & modifications you will HAVE to do! For example:
Fuel Pump & delivery system
Front and rear suspention problems & mods needed
etc...<p>Good luck if you still wanna try! I'm not trying to talk you out of it. We all just want you to understand thier is LOTS of work required.
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

The amount of money and time you are going to expend trying to make this work, you would be better off just buying an Rx7. The 13b would probably physically fit (I sold my Rx7 so I dont have a reference to measure) but a cold air intake and new clutch are the least of your worries:<p>1. Is this going to be a new engine, or one out of a wrecked donor car? If it isnt new, or has more than about 30k miles on it, be prepared to rebuild. Go to Ebay or any of the mass used car sites. Any 1st generation T2 or 3rd gen. Rx7 with over 60k miles usually has the words "new engine and turbos" somewhere in the description. Check out how much is costs to rebuild one of these little darlings. Be prepared to feel dizzy and fall over.<p>2. Are you going to maintain front wheel drive? Good luck finding a FWD tranny that is going to handle the HP and torque this engine produces,one that will handle 255 HP at 8000 rpm, not to mention one that fits in the space you have, and that will physically mount to the 13b, one that will accept stronger axles you'll need, mate to the shift linkage, etc.<p>2. If you switch to rear wheel drive, good luck in integrating a driveshaft, rear end, rear suspension, braking system, and whatever else from your donor Rx7 onto the Mx. Would you use the Rx7 driveline? Think of the mounts, chassis attachement points, clearances, possibly a different gas tank, brake master cylinder,brake lines, and everything else that needs to be thought of during this process. Not to mention the cost.<p>3. You will have to integrate the 13b wiring harness into the Mx3's system. This is more than finding a way to insert plug A into incompatible plug B. The ECU, the speedometer and tachometer feeds, warning lights, etc. I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.<p>4. Your going to need a bigger radiator. The 13b pumps out some serious heat. The turbos dont help that situation.<p>5. Youre looking at a completely different exhaust system. Downpipe, cats, muffler, etc. The rotary exhaust is HOT and unbelievably LOUD. Read up on rotary exhaust systems (Racing Beat, Mazdatrix, etc). They arent cheap. You could fabricate your own with regular pipes, but it wont last very long. Rotaries need heavier pipes than the Mx'3s, to handle the noise and heat. And you'll want a catalyst too. Running a rotary wihout a cat smells worse than Satan's underwear on a hot sweaty August day after a hard night of beer, chili, and triple-jalepeneo nachos.<p>6. Who is going to insure this noise making tire frier you just created? Call LLoyds of London, they MIGHT do it, but it would probably be cheaper to finance a new 747 on your Visa card.... Your average State Farm, Progressive, Farmers, Allstate etc. probably wont touch it, at any cost.<p>7. Do you have inspections in your area? I wouldnt even think about trying to get this one past them. <p>I'm sure someone, somewear may have attempted this and maybe even got it to work (I know there are a couple of drag cars with this set up, but street cars? I doubt it) but rest assured it couldnt be cheap, took a while to build, and is higher maintenance than the local cheerleader. Save yourself the grief, read up on the Protege engine swaps or get yourself a GS and drop in a 2.5 liter .......
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Thats why you just need to do either of the 323 GTX motors.<p>I'm doing the LITTLE 1.6L B6T for bragging rights.
So...how many 1.6L 4cyl out their do you see pushing 600HP to the front wheels & stille STREETABLE???? HEheeeheee now you see my bragging rights to come!!! By June of this summer mine will be putting right around 300HP to the ground at low boost (14-15psi) on a STOCK G25M-R Pro-LX tranny and STOCK Head & bottom end!!!! Don'y believe me??? Corksport already dynoed a STOCK 323 GTX (only thing not stock was the turbo I'm gonna be going with). It dynoed 242WHP at 12psi...thats on the stock POS intercooler & all!!!!! The turbo runs all the way up to 26-28psi for 400HP. ;)
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

Not to sound cynical, but 300-400 HP thru a stock bottom end, and stock tranny ( especially this one), for HOW LONG? ...I personally dont define something as streetable if I have to pull it and spend $2000 to rebuild it every 6 weeks... You can pump up the boost on any well built turbo engine and get big HP numbers for a very short period of time, but making it last long enough to drive and enjoy for any length of time is walking a fine line. What kind of torque were they getting at the 242HP and 400HP levels?
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by guyaverage:
Not to sound cynical, but 300-400 HP thru a stock bottom end, and stock tranny ( especially this one), for HOW LONG? ...I personally dont define something as streetable if I have to pull it and spend $2000 to rebuild it every 6 weeks... You can pump up the boost on any well built turbo engine and get big HP numbers for a very short period of time, but making it last long enough to drive and enjoy for any length of time is walking a fine line. What kind of torque were they getting at the 242HP and 400HP levels?<hr></blockquote><p>For reference, there is no such thing as 400whp streetable cars. You'll never be able to use that on the street. And nobody runs 28 lbs of boost on the street. That's retarded, because you can only use what you've traction for.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:
For reference, there is no such thing as 400whp streetable cars. You'll never be able to use that on the street. And nobody runs 28 lbs of boost on the street. That's retarded, because you can only use what you've traction for.<hr></blockquote><p>0wn3d.. haha haven't used that word in a while.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
The_Great_Tonge

Post by The_Great_Tonge »

well...
ive been in 2 400+whp cars and they are pretty driveable. i mean it all depends on the driver and how the car is set up.
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

OK, I guess he gets the point that while it sounded cool, it's not a bright idea. Give em a break tho. Look at all the crap magazines & not to mention many of these message boards that are populated with 90% clueless people talkin like they know it all.
How many threads have you seen about the "electric turbo" where there are people claiming it worked on thier buddies Honda & the same amount of people telling them they're morons.
Too much bad info & not enough people who seriously want to help,...<p>I build toys as a hobby, & for $$ on the side. My current project is a 350+HP mid engine roadster. It will be street legal & could be driven every day. It's all about how you drive it & how the system is designed. I'm using a dual circut pressure control, one for street, one for makin people cry.<p>It would be possible to make a fwd with the RX7 motor, little thing called adapter plates, but the whole front end would have to be re- engineered to make it fit right.
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by The_Great_Tonge:
well...
ive been in 2 400+whp cars and they are pretty driveable. i mean it all depends on the driver and how the car is set up.
<hr></blockquote><p>
Driveable around town, or driveable at the limit. Everyone else seem to catch the friggin point except your lazy butt.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”