HELP! MX-3 will only go 100 mph (speed governor)

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
JWMotorsports

Re: HELP! MX-3 will only go 100 mph (speed governor)

Post by JWMotorsports »

P.S.<P>My car was rolling on 16" Pace Rage Race rims wraped in 215/40/16 Nitto NT450 Extremes. Plus I've had my speedo check by the Cops radar & my speedo is fine. :roll:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

my sohc has hit 120 at about 3700 rpm so 130 is very possible. it takes a while to get there but can be done
quinn_seipp

Post by quinn_seipp »

out of curiosity I tested this out on my gs the other day, top speed, 200-202 kph, give us a break guys theres no way an mx-3 with the sohc will hit 130 mph :roll:<p>[ November 23, 2002: Message edited by: quinn_seipp ]
130 hp and 1000 horsepower strong, ;)
thebonestockkid

Post by thebonestockkid »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mzdspd:<BR><STRONG>my sohc has hit 120 at about 3700 rpm so 130 is very possible. it takes a while to get there but can be done</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>3700 rpm? I'd REALLY like to see that bro. <BR>*Actually how big are your rims... 17's?? Theres a good chance your speedo is off...<P>Alright JWM, I agree with your post about the transmission (and bigger rims too) playing a big part in the top speed of a car, but dude, I hope you can see why Im a "little" skeptical about your car hitting that high of a speed. I hope I didnt sound like an *** , but 130 is pretty damn fast for a car with 88hp. I just dont think its possible. I dunno, I guess it just doesn't sound right to me. But anyway, no damage done I hope :D ?<p>[ November 23, 2002: Message edited by: thebonestockkid ]
Image'97 Grenada black pearl Acura EL, JDM B18C 98spec ITR Swap. Power in Control full coilovers going in next spring. Not to mention a most unusual whining noise... coming soon.

'92 Intense blue pearl Jeep YJ, OME lift, mudders, fun.

R.I.P.
'93 Clear white GS-DE ~14.648@92.98mph, 2.234 60ft. PARTING OUT PM ME.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

ok so wait u swapped the tranny out, so technically your no longer stock
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
nksmx-3

Post by nksmx-3 »

i have the 92 SOHC w/intake and the fastest i have ever gone is 115 mph and i know that the spedo is off a little cause of my 17's so i realy dont think that 130 is possable in the sohc or dohc 4 cylinders.<BR>i used to think driving fast was fun too until a group of friends of mine totaled a nicely tricked out Prelude to no extent and that car was a cube when they toed it away no one was hurt bad but the owner of the car probably wont be driving until he is thirty and another one has a warrent out for his arrest for leaving the sceen of a crime, so dont be dumb man and play it safe. :roll:
late night conversations turn into a fight, and all the years youve been frustrated finaly subside, and you walk away, to face the day, alone.
Cybin

Post by Cybin »

SOHC 1.6L with Manual Tranny could do 115mph maybe. 130 no way, My Merkur with 175HP stock could only do 137mph, at least that's what the cop told me.<P>And for all you telling him to slow down.... get a life. So everyone is tricking out there cars and dropping B6T's for show? Naw didn't think so.
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

my speedo is right i had stock wheels and original tire size on when my dad went 120 at just under 4000 rpm. i dunno whats been done to the engine cause the guy that had it before me said he had done some stuff to it but he lies all the time so i dunno but u gotta remember the car is geared mad high and it took like 3 miles to get it up to that but it did do it
-=deathtrap-mx3=-

Post by -=deathtrap-mx3=- »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JWMotorsports:<BR><STRONG>When my stock SOHC motor was in I could do over 130MPH. With the B6T in, it smacked 150MPH like it was nothing REAL quick like! I'm still using my SOHC ECU on the B6T and the only governer I have is the rev limiter @ around 6350RPM. You could have your ECU reprogramed or swap it out with another SOHC ECU from my year (93).</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>yea the rev limiter kicks in at 6250rpm on the SOHC
Looking for a 94+GS for KL-ZE fun :)
02 Protege DX Retired
93 MX-3 RS Gone But Not Forgotten
ice

Post by ice »

hey guys i dont know if he's lying, but i also hit 130 in my sohc. it took a while but i did it and its all stock.
iceman
dam2009

Post by dam2009 »

2 1/4 exchaust, cold air, SOHC, perf. ignition, new injectors, and the fastes I ever went was around 115-120mph... then I think my SOHC was the slowest that came of the line! :eek: ...... so lets cut the bull* about going over 130 with SOHC.
thebonestockkid

Post by thebonestockkid »

amen :)
Image'97 Grenada black pearl Acura EL, JDM B18C 98spec ITR Swap. Power in Control full coilovers going in next spring. Not to mention a most unusual whining noise... coming soon.

'92 Intense blue pearl Jeep YJ, OME lift, mudders, fun.

R.I.P.
'93 Clear white GS-DE ~14.648@92.98mph, 2.234 60ft. PARTING OUT PM ME.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

There are some variables here that could also affect your car like...outside temp, altitude, humidity, what kind of shape your stock motor is in etc... When I did 130MPH with the SOHC motor on the F25M-R tranny and it took FOREVER. I had a PRM Cold Air intake (I cut out the sheet metal on the front side of the fender so the intake could get the air straight form the front), Magnacore KV85 Comp Plug Wires, BOSH Platnum +4 plugs, Bosal downpipe, CATCO high flow 2.5" cat, 2" cat back exhaust, 2 1/2" race muffler, Pro Blend Nitro Power octane booster, Red Line Synthetics, & a Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch. I also kept the motor WELL maintained. So I had a tiny bit of help there...but it did do 130MPH. Not to mention I have also broken 1 differential & 2 CV joints with that setup. The speedometer had been checked also. :roll:<p>[ November 25, 2002: Message edited by: JWMotorsports ]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
dam2009

Post by dam2009 »

well mine is 5spd.... but still
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

Hey Chris, I'm from WA state too, this last summer on the way to the tri-city area for the hydroplane races with a full load in my car completely stock i hit 112mph on 15's, i had bridgestone potenza's if that had anything to do with helping me, other than that i was completely stock, thats weird you can't go past 100 because i've been over it 3 times with no problems in my 92 rs. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”