Turbo or 1.8L DOHC??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
m_aumont

Turbo or 1.8L DOHC??

Post by m_aumont »

What would be a better choice between swapping a 1.8L DOHC for my 1.6L DOHC or adding a turbo to my 1.6L DOHC??<P>Any help would be greatly appreciated!
OsoSlo z28

Re: Turbo or 1.8L DOHC??

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

how much money do you have to spend on this project and what your performance goals are....this will determine which road you take.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by m_aumont:<BR><STRONG>What would be a better choice between swapping a 1.8L DOHC for my 1.6L DOHC or adding a turbo to my 1.6L DOHC??<P>Any help would be greatly appreciated!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually you could swap the BPT in for less than you could get a custom turbo setup for. Then if you wanted at a later time you could upgrade the turbo and IC. With a boost controller and propper tuning, I'm sure you could pump at least 220HP with the stock setup.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
m_aumont

Post by m_aumont »

Well I have the car and my dad owns a salvage yard so I have most of the parts already. I just want some more horse power. Instead of 105 HP that the 1.6L has. I'm not racing and I don't care if it can beat cars. I just need to know exactly what is involved in the swap. I know there is the conversion site that Vaughn set up but it doesn't tell me enough. I have a 1.8L engine with 105,000 KM. And the transmission and computer. I just want to know how to do the swap myself without having to pay a mechanic big bucks to do it.
m_aumont

Post by m_aumont »

Where would I get this BPT? What does that stand for? What would the cost of one be and is it a direct swap or would I need everything like the swap to a 1.8L DOHC??
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

since you have a 94, the 1.8 ecu will do you no good. the wiring is different. the 1.8 you're talking about is a bp series motor. the bpt is that with a turbo. the bpt came in the 90-94 j-spec 323 gtx/gtr. the gtx came with 180/185hp and the gtr came with around 210. it's next to impossible to find a gtr version. you can get one(gtx) for just under a grand from corksport. the two motors are the same as far as install. the only diff is that one has a turbo, so you'll need i/c piping, etc. the wiring only needs minor mods and everything fits the stock mounts. you'll need the mount from the tranny your using cause the stock mount from the b6 won't fit the 1.8 tranny. you also need the axles from the 1.8 as well as the clutch and flywheel. if you get the bpt, you'll need to get either a fuel management set-up(either piggy back or stand alone), but your best bet is to get your ecu reprogrammed. you can get one done through corksport for about 260-270 with a core trade-in. it's said that you need a bigger fuel pump(3rd gen rx7) but i've been talking to a guy with the bpt swap on his stock fuel set-up and he's still running rich, so i'm not sure about that one. hope this answers your questions. if you need anymore help, just ask.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
m_aumont

Post by m_aumont »

Okay here is what I want to do...I have a 1.6L DOHC 94 MX-3 RS. I want to put a 1.8L DOHC from a GS. How do I do it?? I need insructions on what parts I need and how to do the changeover. Can anyone help???<P>I have most of the parts that are listed on Vaughn website and I can get the others easily.<P>So where do I start?
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

that's a bit out of my league. but in my opinion, the 5hp difference between the two motors isn't worth the headache. post on the group board on yahoo, i know there's a guy there that did the swap along with rear disc conversion. but like i said, i'd go with the 1.8 4cyl swap. if you don't want turbo, you're looking about about 125hp and you can get those motors pretty cheap. with the 4-6 swap, pretty much everything from the bumper to the firewall has to be swapped. mounts, motor, tranny, ps pump, alt, springs, etc.....
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
natural born honda killer

Post by natural born honda killer »

i would suggest getting the BPT from corksport just because for the amount of money youd spend putting the 1.8 in you could easily put the BPT in. im doing this swap in a month as soon as i get my income tax return. its going to cost me about 3-3500 for everything and that includes parts and labor. and since you have a junkyard there you could get the tranny and axles and the rest of the drive train for real cheap. it cost me 700 for all that so you would be doing it cheaper than me. stock youd have 180hp and with just turning up the boost you could easily reach 200hp and then youd be set but even at the 180hp mark that little car will scoot. also if you want some more info on the swap you can ask me or cre8v mx3 cause i know he knows a lot about this swap and i believe hes going to do this soon?
jeremy cline
95 MX-3 RS
The only BPT GTR MX-3 in Texas!!!

man iraq sucks!!!
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

yes sir! :D as soon as i find a shop with the right prices, i'm ordering my motor, mounts, clutch, and reprogrammed ecu from cs.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”