klze not running well.. sputtering and popping under throttl

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Tfries-cc
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

klze not running well.. sputtering and popping under throttl

Post by Tfries-cc »

i just rebuilt a klze with polished internals :) (the good news)

it runs bad when there is any change in throttle imput.. (bogs and sometimes pops)

no clue why this is happening but i thought it was engine timing (belt) so i re did it and it was and is correct.. so i dont know right now..

it is driveable but it stalls out sometimes when i come to a stop.. the idle is very inconsistant! i have my tps set to 0.650

throttle screw is open a few turns and my throttle plate is at zero % .. it should run mint??

anyways any change in throttle it bogs ... but then a couple seconds later it will run normally if i continue to hold that throttle position, it seems like its missfiring.. no matter where on the throttle if i hold it in one position its all good, but when i change positions (while driving standard is obviously alot) for a few seconds after the position is changed it bogs and is not very happy. but then is happy? weird.. any ideas guys>?
baggiestpanther19

Re: klze not running well.. sputtering and popping under thr

Post by baggiestpanther19 »

Maybe a vacuum leak somewhere? I think a friend of mine had a similar issue, there's a small allen screw on the side of the engine somewheres that has to be there else the engine runs like crap. Hard to explain where it is, my MX-3s currently getting an alignment done, when I get it back I'll take a picture of the location, I can't remember exactly where the location of it is, but I'll take a pic when I get my car back and you can check to see if it's there. Other than that I'm not too sure what it could be :/
93 Mazda MX3 GS KL-ZE
94 Mazda MX3 GS KL-ZE Parts Car
RogueWolf

Post by RogueWolf »

Never overestimate the quality of the ignition system... If you've got all new polished internals, broken in (I hope), then we can rule out compression as a key issue.

The next two are harder.

Fuel & Ignition.

The Ignition system on the earlier K-Series engines is... ah... perhaps in my personal experience... a wired bundle of stinking crap. But they're all we've got so you have to work with it.

Check the pins & wires from the distributor to the ECU, check the resistance across the coil, or confirm healthy spark by the usual hold against the valve cover method... (not recommended, but a quick 3-second check).

The fuel system is step two... and that's where the vacuum leak mentioned could be causing a bit of a problem.
The MAP sensor reads manifold pressure and determines load based on that... if the pressure doesn't drop, the ECU doesn't know there is load, and no additional fuel is added to the mix... but more air is coming in via the open throttle body... which leads to extremely lean burns, and considerable lack of power... and the more I think about this, the more I think that Baggiestpanther19's vacuum leak idea is likely the culprit.

Good luck.
-RW
Tfries-cc

Post by Tfries-cc »

Thanks guys. And I would appreciate a pic from you,

I have a trouble code p1402. Egr gas recirculation orifice restricted

And it comes up right away. I even recet my ecu. And I connect the code reader after revering the car. It comes up right away. I delete the code. And comes right back.

Ps I have never had this code

I also put my factory air box back on to see if that made a difference.. It didn't.

I checked for air leaks everywhere. But can't find any. I'm going to check ignition right now.

This code has me bothered tho..

Any ideas?
baggiestpanther19

Goddamned EGRs, always making life difficult on these engines....do you have an aftermarket exhaust on this bad boy? I only have OBD1 so this code seems a little strange to me, but it sounds like it's not getting any air through the EGR to route back into the engine. Did you plug up the hole where the EGR mounts to the engine? Is the line that goes to the exhaust manifolds still there or is it pinched? My cars still in the shop, will likely be there until Monday so I can't take a picture of the Allen plug in the side of the engine...which may or may not be the issue anyways. Take off your EGR if possible and clean it out I guess :/
93 Mazda MX3 GS KL-ZE
Tfries-cc

Post by Tfries-cc »

I don't actually have a egr.. I deleted it when I got headers I did cover the hole though and I didn't have running problems because of it with my other engine. (Still have the same heads on this engine) I don't know if this is the problem though. I don't know why I'm all of a sudden getting a code now.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

You mentioned code reader??? Is your car a 96-97 OBD2.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
baggiestpanther19

Well maybe that's the issue then. Your wiring loom is looking for a reading from an EGR that isn't there. That's why to make mine happy, I reattached the EGR where it's supposed to be, but then we just pinched off the line that's supposed to go to the manifold and plugged the EGR back to it's rightful sensor. These are just my thoughts, but I've always had to do it to make a wiring loom running OBD1 work, I'm not sure if this will work with an OBD2 wiring loom :S Will have the car back today, picking it up after work, I'll see if I can't snap a pick of the small Allen screw. I'll also try and take a picture of my EGR setup for ya. Maybe the reason you're getting a code now is going from OBD1 to OBD2? I guess the better question would be, are you running with OBD1 or OBD2 haha
93 Mazda MX3 GS KL-ZE
baggiestpanther19

This is the little guy I been talking about here. It's a little Allen screw underneath the throttle body, down by the fuel injector rails. My friend said he drove his MX3 for a year before he figured out that was the problem, said his engine ran like crap the whole time. So yea, check to see if you got this little guy installed there, and if you do then maybe try what I said earlier and just bolting your EGR back up to where it goes, plugging it in and then cutting and pinching the line that's supposed to go to the exhaust manifold. See if any of that helps!
93 Mazda MX3 GS KL-ZE
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

do you have a VAF you can swap out? It could be a bad VAF.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
miguelitorosal18
antispam: No

Post by miguelitorosal18 »

Great post !

I learned a lot !
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Distributor could be the issue or badly grounded HEI mod if you've done that.

Coolant temp sensor can also cause a bog and miss if that's faulty but you've checked codes so it probably isn't that.

What ECU and VAF are you running? The wrong ECU and VAF combo will cause similar issues also.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

very informative!
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”