Overheated and did something stupid

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RX8SE3P

Overheated and did something stupid

Post by RX8SE3P »

Ok so my temp was fine as I check it fairly often, then at some lights I saw some smoke coming from the engine bay (only a bit). Looked at temp needle and it was just below the upper 3/4 line. As I took off slowly it started slowly climbing so I immediately turned my heater on full blast. Then took it easy for about 1 mile and pulled into a gas station. Was not sure if turning off would be a bad idea so I left it on with heater and popped the bonnet for a couple minutes and temp didn't climb above that 3/4 mark at all and went down a little. Then turned it off.

Here's the idiot part. I go into servo and buy 6 litres of distilled water. The water wasn't cold but what an idiot, I pour a little of the water into the coolant filler as it's pretty much empty and it steams a bit. So I think I might turn the car on and pour as I thought that would circulate it best. Pretty stupid hey? Should have waited like 30 mins then put water in. It ends up taking an easy 4-5 litres. Could see there was a leak down bottom of the car.

Anyways I baby it home and under light throttle it's perfect but if I put a little bit more into it, it misses a little and has NO power! The temp stayed at half way point from then on. So I'm thinking, yep warped heads, head gasket etc. Start getting depressed and thinking how I will part my good old KLZE out. Pull up to driveway and turn it off. Left it for about 90 minutes and after dinner came to check oil etc. Everything looked ok. Turned it on and it was running nice. Took it around the block real quick and I have no hesitation and full power again. Was scared to rev beyond 4500 but it definitely had no miss and full power. Not blowing any smoke from exhaust either.

Not sure if it will be ok. Perhaps the coolant sensors were overheated and pulling timing etc. Might have been missing from the heat too? Anyways, got my hopes up a little. It never did go beyond that 3/4 mark on the temp gauge but I am paranoid that the idiot move of adding water too soon might have killed it!

This weekend = compression check, dump oil, fix leak, add coolant.

Thanks for reading, feel free to add your 2 cents. (Yes I can't believe I added water like that, I even knew in the back of my head that it was a dumb move!!!)
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
RX8SE3P

Re: Overheated and did something stupid

Post by RX8SE3P »

Well after testing we found a small leak up the top of the radiator near the upper coolant hose (coolant temp sensor side of car).

Oil was free of coolant, changed to some new oil. Compression was 212 on most cylinders, one was 207 and 205 but that's pretty good.

Will be ordering a new radiator soon. Glued the current one with epoxy but won't really drive it unless in an emergency. The engine seems fine so I guess I'll just monitor things and hopefully get a few more kilometers out of it's life!
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Pure water isn't the best coolant anyway is it. I'd be worried about the water pump at this point. Well not worried because Real Men don't worry,,,but concerned. ;)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Fitted new radiator and have been driving it for around a week with zero issues. Still going fine in 40 degree Celsius heat!

Water pump won't be an issue. I've been a "no timing belt cover" advocate for a lengthy time now! Will take a third of the time to diagnose and replace a faulty pump in the future, which also applies to when the belt or tensioner decide take a s--- like they did last time!
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Just concerned because water don't lub the pump. Anyway good that the new rad fixed it.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Indeed, the thought of no more KLZE was really depressing!
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
toomanyangelz
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by toomanyangelz »

I dont understand how not having a timing cover cuts down a third of the time for removing and replacements?
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Because it takes a friggin long time just to take them off to access the pump...
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
toomanyangelz
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by toomanyangelz »

wait u did the timing belt with the engine still in the vehicle?!
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Have done before. It's still a bastard of a job but slightly less bastardy with no timing covers.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”