KLZE - KLG4 crank swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Demonic1

KLZE - KLG4 crank swap

Post by Demonic1 »

So a while back, I bought 2Fazed's old MX-3 GS...

It's not in the greatest shape, but it does have a true KL31 KLZE in it. (I know cause I checked and s---)

There were issues with the rear valve cover gaskets leaking oil (per normal). I didn't check the oil one day and got in a hurry to go do whatever I needed to do. I let it warm up for ~5 minutes and hopped in. I stomped the gas at the end of my driveway and immediately heard a nasty noise. I spun a rod bearing less than 100 feet from my house. Put the car in neutral and coasted in reverse back into my parking spot. It's sat there for about a year and I think it's about time to put it back on the road.

Last summer I disassembled the bottom half and pulled bearings for #6 and #3. The crank had some slight marking and the bearings spun clear around inside the rods.
I'm thinking about pulling the crank from a KLG4, measuring clearance, buying bearings, and throwing it in.

I don't have to worry about size differences on the oil pump or transmission, right?
Is there any worry about the Rod->Rod Bearing surfaces?
Do I need to replace the rods too?
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)
WhiteFinish

Re: KLZE - KLG4 crank swap

Post by WhiteFinish »

If you only ran the car for a short while changes are your crank is still good.
How deep is the damage? Can you cut it with a nail?

The problem with a new crank is you also have the main bearings and bore suited for this crank.

Rods you can just leave in. No problem. Although if you have them out, I suggest to put new rings on them. It's only ~40$
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
Demonic1

Re: KLZE - KLG4 crank swap

Post by Demonic1 »

The last picture, the left side of the crank surface looks like it got some damage from the actual spinning of the bearing. I think I might be screwed.
I didn't take any measurements while I had it open. And what kind of nail? Fingernail?

I figured that if I pulled/swapped a crank, I should be able to just use stock set of bearings. Since it wouldn't have any damage and should still be at OEM clearances.

I didn't really want to separate the heads from the block (to replace rings) because then I might as well replace a perfectly good headgasket. And bolts. And might as well get new 85.5mm pistons. And Carillo rods. And bored/sleeved...

I really just want to get it back to running cheaply/reliably so I can start working on the engine for my RS.
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”