weird problem. rpm gauge dropps out while running + backfire

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Tfries-cc
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

weird problem. rpm gauge dropps out while running + backfire

Post by Tfries-cc »

weird problem guys...

wires, plugs, disty rotor, (i have done the hei mod and the 4 pin modual was installed lastyear) i have checked everything again, and everything seems ok

one day a couple months ago I was driving my klze mx3 96 obd2 car with a kl02 vaf, and it started backfiring/ bucking at about 2k rpm.. and looked down at my Rpm gauge and It dropped down to zero and it fluttered back and fourth from following the actual rpm and back too zero.. this is all while my engine is popping/ sputtering at about 2k rpm

so i pulled over and checked connections, vacuum lines, ignition wires etc, then reset the computer and went off and it continued all the way to my destination. it gets so bad sometimes that I can barely accelerate.. then there is times it runs fairly good

the car has to be started with throttle imput

1. changed my crank position sensor and it seemed to fix the problem for a short time, about a week later then the problem again..

2.) checked all grounds and found a loose one on the engine so I tightened it and it went away for a week or so... then came right back

3.i changed my vaf to the stock k8 one and it started to run fine.. so i thought i figured it out. drove it for a week or so and lastnight it happened again. rpm gauge drop followed by a bad running mx3.. its so sad :(

the problem only happens sometimes.. (the bucking/ rpm gauge drop flutter)

I have a hunch that it is my cam position sensor, i dont know tho i want to make sure before i end up buying a whole new distributor..

any help is apreciated :) :D
Tfries-cc
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: weird problem. rpm gauge dropps out while running + back

Post by Tfries-cc »

helppp! :( i ordered a distributor

idn what the problem is tho
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: weird problem. rpm gauge dropps out while running + back

Post by Daninski »

I didn't think any thing over 93 had a cam position sensor. They did away with it. I just fixed our Santa Fe that did what yours is doing and it was the crank position sensor. Just because it's new doesn't meant it isn't defective. It could also be your fuel pump is ready to go. Cheers
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”