SuperK's 94 MX-3 RS - "Stinky"

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
SuperK
Supporting Member

SuperK's 94 MX-3 RS - "Stinky"

Post by SuperK »

I've trashed one GS, sold another GS. I got to be running out of these things, right?

Well, here's Stinky the Silver MX-3!

Stinky is my roommate's old MX-3. I've known little stinky since 2007ish when he first bought her.
Stinky was never an attractive MX-3, but she was cheap.
I found a few photos of stinky back when he first bought her some seven years ago. Here's her hanging out with (now both deceased) black beast and bane (starring guest teal mx-3 "oldman" who no one probably remembers):

Stinky originally came with a blown head gasket. Then the radiator blew. My roommate, being completely poor, drove the mosquito screener for a couple years this way adding water when water was needed. It was a terrible car to drive in.

I then swapped the head gasket on the engine. It lasted for another couple years, but it wasn't enough. The heads were too far gone. we ended up grabbing another B6 from a pull a part for 200 dollars and dropping it in. That also wasn't enough, for a few months later, he was stranded on the side of the road:

During this time, I had just lost the black beast to the tornadoes that had came through. I then transplanted my rebuilt B6 into his car:

Shot of Stinky in 2012:

Which thus concludes the historical photo archives of Stinky up to this week.

Some other events that occured to Stinky during this time:
His old roommate backed into his fender causing the huge dent
He hydroplaned into the back of someones car ruining the hood. We replaced the hood with a black one at the scrap yard.
Stinky got stinkier
Stinky got uglier

Stinky's owner then got a fantastic deal on our friend's 95 honda civic which was in much better condition some two years ago and switched to her.
Stinky then got parked on the side of my house and used as his storage unit for some time until he moved out last year. I inherited Stinky at this point as his farewell "gift"

Now that Clanky has been sold and Bane has been trashed, I threw a battery in Stinky and cranked her for the first time in two years. She (surprisingly) started right up and I moved her from the grass to the driveway.

Originally I was going to use Stinky as a parts car for a dash swap on another project. However in light of Stinky's running condition and the absence of running MX-3s at my premise, I decided it'd be a good idea to fix her up for the winter. It'd be a much better idea to drive her than my mazdaspeed miata during the winter, especially if it becomes as icy as last year.

So, here are my "first impression" pictures of stinky as I pulled her up this Sunday!

Pulled her up and... ugly!

Still ugly.

Yup, ugly

continuing ugly trend

not deviating from ugly course

The mildew and mold is a nice touch

Gross. Plenty of condoms in there... Judging by their expiry date, looks like... there was no need to use them... poor guy...

Still gross.

I love brown water. Especially brown water that had a tube of white lithium grease marinating in the water. So it was actually brown greasy water. there's nothing worse than the interior of the car covered in a film of nasty lithium grease distributed by delicious brown water. It's like Oriental Ramen Noodle Soup Broth!

There's a dead bird in there....

Moldy back seats.

Shifter fell through and... gross.

1 out of multiple (active) wasps nests. My favorite. Almost as exciting as the dead bird.

But... A glimmer of hope! Look at that dash cleaned up!

But even through this fairly thorough cleaning... the interior is still... very stinky.
Last edited by SuperK on January 8th, 2015, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: SuperK's 94 MX-3 RS - "Stinky"

Post by SuperK »

I used some carpet powder to deodorize the carpet. It's just sodium bicarbonate with fragrance. It works very well and vacuumed up easily.

I then modified the shifter which fell through. I drilled through the stabilizer bar and the shifter mount. Added a urethane type bushing from some scrap I had, and bolted them back together at stock height.

I then cleaned up the interior and pieced it back together.

I then updated the interior with better condition 94+ GS interior:

And I added some stock floor mats:

Removed the damaged fender:

Put a white replacement fender on and swapped to 15" GS 5-Spoke rims:

polished up the headlights:

placed the GS spoiler on, replaced the gas lid. The original was separated from the welds and wouldn't close:

Complete with hatch cover as well:

249k miles on the odometer:

Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
DanielDL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by DanielDL »

Nice job bringing this Mx-3 back to life!
Daniel - '97 MX-3 B6
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

So ironically Stinky is probably my best smelling car now that it's cleaned up and all.

So in December, I pulled it in for some maintenance. Engine was shifting a bit too much so I knew I had some mounts that needed replacing

Which was an understatement. They were completely trashed.

So I replaced the mounts.

Then a couple weeks later, I lost about 50% of power. I figured the timing jumped. Which was fine, I needed to fix whatever was making that racket/noise earlier anyways. So over this weekend I pulled it back in the garage again

This time it got to hang out with the miata in the garage:

Sure enough, belt was one tooth off on the crank.

cleaned everything up. Looks good down there. You can see the new alternator that was recently replaced. no trash in the engine block, clean coolant. that's good.

Cat decided to hang out with me while I worked:

I found the source of the noise, the AC compressor:

new compressor, water pump, pulleys, belts, seals

Here's a good trick to getting the timing right first try. Align the crank, then slip a flat head screwdriver behind the gear to keep it in place as you slip the belt over it.

Everything buttoned back up:

Short video of it idling/running:

And a group shot:

Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Jimbo1177

Post by Jimbo1177 »

Wow. Looks like the hard work is paying off. Cool write up too.
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Great new years update !!

Nice you revived Stinky
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”