Oh boy, screeching sound after cv axle, strut and tie rod

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Mx3forever

Oh boy, screeching sound after cv axle, strut and tie rod

Post by Mx3forever »

Finally finished up (mostly) what I was going to do on this car. I've had it up on jack stands in my driveway for at least a month due to various problems with part mix ups, Advance Auto screwing up constantly, weather and a PITA driver's side Axle removal.

I finished installing two new front struts, two new cv axles and tie rods. I still have to replace the brake pads and later down the line two new ball joints and bearings.

When I finally pulled it out today it seemed to run ok, but now has this screeching sound coming out of the front end that it didn't have before. The sound varies from just a lite Buzz/humm to a bass horn, squeal when I turn my wheel. It makes this sound whether the brakes are applied or not.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the brakes. One side needs to be replaced asap but the other didn't look bad and the sound seems to be coming from both sides as far as I can tell.

I still need to replace the transmission fluid that came out when the axles were removed but this sound doesn't seem to be coming from there. It seems to be coming from the wheels.

Thanks
crazycanadian

Re: Oh boy, screeching sound after cv axle, strut and tie ro

Post by crazycanadian »

You bent the dust/backing plate and it's rrubbing on the rotor
Mx3forever

Post by Mx3forever »

Oh

And It Gets Better.............

I just took the car up the street to get some gas in it because it was on empty.
After I got gas I was driving back home and the car started running very very rough for a few seconds.
It died and now it will not restart. It turns over, but no start...

Far too dark and cold now to inspect much there, hell there's a 20 degree windchill outside, so I pushed it into a parking lot and walked home.

I'm dumbfounded. Outside of removing the battery plateform briefly and putting in a brand new battery today, I haven't touched anything around the engine. This was 1 mile away. Glad it wasn't 10 miles! Couldn't pull up any codes either. You've got to be kidding me.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

terrible time to have problems.

Gotta start with the usuals. distributor, timing belt.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
MX_Sid

Post by MX_Sid »

Are you getting spark? on every cylinder?
Can you smell gas after you crank it for an extended period of time? flip up the back seat and check your ohm's at your fuel pump.
If you got gas and spark, but still not running, I would say timing belt. Or maybe your air meter rattled itself loose or something. check all your connections.
If not getting spark on all cylinders, check disty rotor and cap.
If no spark anywhere, check ohm's at ignition coil.
If ignition coil good, suspect disty/igniter.

That's pretty much all I have ever had to do when troubleshooting a stalled engine. GOOD LUCK!!
Hey crazycanadian, good call on the screetching! that would be my guess also :lol:
I HATE mechanic shops and LOVE junkyards!!
Mx3forever

Post by Mx3forever »

Thanks for all your replies!

??? Don't know, I have been driving my Miata and left this car sitting in the parking lot for a week after returning that night to try to start it, no go.

When I returned to check it once more before preparing to have it towed home, it just started on the second try. I drove it home. Perhaps something clogged a fuel line or it had flooded, mixed with freezing temps.

CrazyCanadian, Thanks. You were right. It was the dust shield rubbing on the back of the rotors that caused the screech. I'm not sure if I bent them doing all the work or the position is just slightly altered after doing the struts etc. But in any case, it's gone.

Have another question, but really it's another post.

Thanks all

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”