Help with CEL codes

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Gods Father

Help with CEL codes

Post by Gods Father »

So I posted about 2 or 3 weeks ago about my cars rpm jumping and got a lot of responses and thought I had figured it out. I replaced the HEI mod and made sure it was securely grounded and my car ran fine...then it rained and it started jumping again and stalling. So I checked the O2 sensor thinking it may have gotten wet...when I did one of the prongs on the plug broke off because of how brittle it was. I replaced the prong and it started back up and as of now seems ok but I decided to run the CEL codes since i hadnt before just assuming it was the EGR code, but I got a lot more than I bargained for, and need a little help deciphering them it was as follows:

2 short
3 short
1 long
6 short
1 long
1 long
8 short
6 long
7 short

I figured it as 2 (crankshaft position sensor), 3 (camshaft position sensor) 16 (egr system), 28 (egr vacuum solenoid) but the 6 and 7 at the end throw me off. Any help would be appreciated, plus Im not too sure what the codes mean and which ones would cause such horrible rpm jumps? :/ sorry...I feel stoopid
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
WhiteFinish

Re: Help with CEL codes

Post by WhiteFinish »

I think you're right about the codes. 6 and 7 is probably repetition of earlier codes.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

67- Cooling fan relay or circuit

Probably is the TPS out of range. To get the TPS back in range follow the FAQ to adjust the TPS. Then set the idle.
When you modify the TPS, you change the base idle, which changes the base timing.

When you adjust the base idle (with the idle air screw) and the base timing, you will change the TPS.

So you have to adjust the TPS, then adjust idle/timing. Then readjust the TPS, then idle/timing. Continue to perform this function until all three variables are set.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Gods Father

Post by Gods Father »

[quote="SuperK"]67- Cooling fan relay or circuit

Probably is the TPS out of range. To get the TPS back in range follow the FAQ to adjust the TPS. Then set the idle.
When you modify the TPS, you change the base idle, which changes the base timing.

When you adjust the base idle (with the idle air screw) and the base timing, you will change the TPS.

So you have to adjust the TPS, then adjust idle/timing. Then readjust the TPS, then idle/timing. Continue to perform this function until all three variables are set.[/quote]

Thank you! its definitely the code for the fan because I unplugged it and ran my own switch. I'll have to try adjusting everything when I get home...if it works will the codes stop going off for the camshasft and crankshaft sensors? And if it is off now could that cause my symptoms of uneven rpms while driving/stalling?

thanks again I'll keep you updated
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Probably won't fix the cam and crank sensors. But it is a free troubleshooting step that should clear the hunting. The crank sensor probably will need to be replaced. The cam sensor is built in to the distributor.
Take care of the free parts then work your way to clear the sensors that cost money to replace is my suggestion
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
davmac

Post by davmac »

Hopefully you've got this sorted, so my input unnecessary. Just in case: Once you set the TPS you don't need to return. All you are setting is the closed throttle position signal to the ECU. It is a setting that does not change regardless of the position of the idle air screw or timing. Ideally you warm the engine to prepare and idle by that time is near spec of 650 - 700 RPM. If not adjust the idle speed with the idle air screw. Adjust timing next. You might have to repeat timing and idle adjustments, but TPS is not going to change.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I believe if your cam sensor is bad the car will crank for like 1/2 a minute then finally start. This is the ECU looking for the signal then basically saying fu*k it,,,kinda :roll: :lol: Don't forget to jump Ten and Gnd before setting the idle right. Set it to 650 then when you remove the jumper the rpm will go to 700. Same for the timing, jump Ten and Gnd.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”