Sticky TB

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Thats just the thing John.. you dont have to add any software to your computer at all in the slightest in order to get pics from your camera onto your computer where you can e-mail or post them. NO Additional software required man :) The stuff they give you with your camera is nothing more than eye candy.. sometimes its cool and usefull but you dont "Need" it by any means :) Seriously man.. it wont even take 5 minutes for me to walk you through how to do it. Up to you though :) Cheers.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
ratkon

Post by ratkon »

I Magivered a spring on mine,works great.The gas pedal is a bit stiffer,but thats cool.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

ratkon wrote:I Magivered a spring on mine,works great.The gas pedal is a bit stiffer,but thats cool.
"MacGivered"...I love it. You mean you replaced a KL68 TB throttle lever spring with another one because of similar issues?
I sometimes think I should MacGiver a whole new throttlebody. :?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

<stands up> Hi my name is Patrick and I also having a sticky throttle... LOL

I tried to turn the spring another full turn on mine when I installed the engine, but couldn't. The post that the spring sits on is too large a diameter to let the spring compress (gets to be a smaller diameter as you tighten it) any more.
I tried it to get a tighter gas pedal, but now have since found out that it may have been good for the sticky throttle too. I've tried greasing the cable and linkage to no effect. As far a dirt in the TB, I have none. Might try WD40 on the butterfly hinge inside to make sure it is as lubricated as I can get it.
I would love to know if someone else has found a "good" remedy for this as it is pretty aggrivating to have to pop the throttle at red lights and drive throughs. I also thought it might be a idle air controll problem. Any thoughts on that?
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

funny you should mention this problem.

yesterday it was boiling hot and 100000% humid out in shitty MD hell I live in.

ANyways I was stopped at a light and my car was idling at 1100 for no reason.

I jacked my foot up against the bottom of the throttle pedal and it went back down to 650.

It did this every friggin time I stopped at a light, and only happened after the car was warmed up.

BTW: I am using a 60mm tb right now, took my 67mm off b/c of the crappy sealing job
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

PATDIESEL wrote:<stands up> Hi my name is Patrick and I also having a sticky throttle... LOL
I also thought it might be a idle air controll problem. Any thoughts on that?
I think that may have been a contributer before but as mentioned, over a month ago I did a removal and complete cleaning. The idle air screw was pretty knarly looking and the corresponding passageway was also pretty carboned and gunked up. Like I said every thing is as clean as a whistle now. I must mention that when butterfly is moved to WOT, there is a bit of lateral free-play with the butterfly and I'm not sure if this is within tolerances. I've also found that it would not be prudent to try a TPS and throttle lever adjustment based on the specs of the K8 since the K8 TB throttle lever configuration is not at all the same as the KL68. Copies of the applicable shop manual pages of the Millennia TB confirm this. I do however notice that there is a dramatic decrease in the amount of slack in the throttle cable once the engine has reached operating temperature. In my mind though I believe that everything in this scenario is temp/heat related. Differences in the metals within the TB re-acting differently, the location of the CAI filter - in fender well or somewhere else in the (HOT) engine bay. If I travel at a sane speed through the country and come to a stop the problem is less pronounced. However, city driving and no matter how many times I snap the gas pedal, the idle won't come down. Not until I've driven a bit at a sustained 50-60 mph for a few minutes for the engine temp to come down slightly (I believe) and following that drive it's almost guaranteed that when I come to a stop if it doesn't come down to normal idle on itself a quick snap of the gas pedal (only once is needed here) and it returns to 650rpm. So like I said, to me a think it's temp related, but how is a real head scratcher. Ya a real super super strong return spring on the throttle lever might minimize but I don't think it's getting to the heart of the matter. There must be someone who's crossed this obstacle.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

:bump: for those that have found a fix/remedy for this.
gfreire

Post by gfreire »

When i First bough my MX3 2 years ago i had the same problem. When driving it down from the dealer it was so sticky it was idling at 3000rpm's, so i took it back and they adjusted it, they were going to replace my cables, but just adjusted it. So far for 2 years its been fine but yesterday i went to drive it and it was stinking at about 1200rpm's, every stop or red light i had to press the gas and it would drop back down to normal. In my case i was wondring if it was because i havent been driving my car regularly, since i've been taking the bus to work. I drive the car at most once a week, and it was also a very hot and humid weekend here in toronto. If anyone has a solution please post. Oh and i have a stock TB.
[FS] Carbon Fiber Alteza Tail Lights used
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54541
[FS] 17' Motegi DP6 Hyper Black rims
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54497
Jutzi420

Re: Sticky TB

Post by Jutzi420 »

Lets go grave digging!

So, anyone ever have any success with this issue? I'm having what seems to be the same issue. I'm also running the same TB as you jschrauwen. My car's sitting at work right now but I might head in later today to screw around with it some. After reading this thread I've got a couple simple ideas that might help.
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

Mine does that everyday! I hate it, if I let off the clutch and the throttle sticks closed I almost stall out till I hit the pedal hard! I cleaned it once it went away for 3 months and now it's back! I know what I am doing when I get home! :welder:
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Bumping this thread, I'm having the same issue. Revs can get stuck at around 1500-2000 because there is too much slop in the cable. I've tried playing with the throttle brackets angle etc but the issue seems to be simply the cable is too long. Looking under my gas pedal I can see at least a half inch or so of cable coming through.

Surely someone has made a fool proof fix for this issue since this thread was made?

*Curve neck IM on a ZE*

*RHD car*
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
12vguy
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by 12vguy »

Anyone figure out away to resolve this problem. Tried everything but a new cable
davmac

Post by davmac »

Sticky throttle when hot - solution:
You do not need a new cable you need new cable routing. The solution is so simple I could not figure it out for nearly 2 years. You can't have any sharp turns in the throttle cable. If you route the cable so that all the turns are smooth large radius circle turns the cable will move smoothly and your throttle body and gas pedal return spring will be strong enough to close the throttle completely no matter how hot it is in the engine compartment.

Look at the second picture in this thread. Notice how the throttle cable comes straight out from the firewall and then slowly loops back around to the throttle body. This is ideal routing that leaves no chance that the cable will bind inside the cable housing.

Step back - symptom restated:
The symptom is a high or surging idle when the engine is warm. This is worse when it is warm outside and under hood temps are at their highest. For me this only happened on hot days. You can often get the normal idle speed back by either lifting the gas pedal with your foot or revving the engine (essentially snapping the throttle open and shut). If you stop and open the hood when you are getting the high idle you should be able to force the throttle plate closed by hand and the engine should then idle at around 700 rpm. Sometimes you'll get a hunting or surging idle that will stop as soon as the throttle plate is completely closed.

This problem is never from a too loose or too long throttle cable. In fact, there should be a little slack in the cable when the throttle body is closed. If you confirm the throttle plate is completely closed and your idle surges or is too high then its back to the basics of TPS setting and idle screw adjustment, checking for air in coolant, etc.

Why does this happen?
Lots of people including me have an engine swap and routed the throttle cable so it makes a sharp right turn immediately after coming through the firewall and then another sharp turn somewhere on the right side of the engine bay to redirect the cable back to the throttle body. Metal expands when it gets hot and we forget that the throttle cable housing is metal. When hot the cable housing grows longer and reduces the available slack for the cable. The tight turns combine to increase friction for the cable to move inside the housing. The result is that the gas pedal and throttle body return springs are no longer strong enough to pull the cable and completely shut the throttle body. It doesn't help that we have 20+ year old throttle cables, gas pedal springs and throttle body springs.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
davmac

Post by davmac »

RX8SE3P wrote:Bumping this thread, I'm having the same issue. Revs can get stuck at around 1500-2000 because there is too much slop in the cable. I've tried playing with the throttle brackets angle etc but the issue seems to be simply the cable is too long. Looking under my gas pedal I can see at least a half inch or so of cable coming through.

Surely someone has made a fool proof fix for this issue since this thread was made?

*Curve neck IM on a ZE*

*RHD car*
These are just some suggestions - not intentionally critical. I know how frustrating this problem can be and how great it feels once solved. My problem was intermittent and completely resolved by routing to minimize friction. I looked at your work log to see how cable routing on a RHD car might still bind. Your throttle cable makes a sharp left hand turn after coming through the firewall. I know you're looking for a neat engine compartment, but you might allow the cable to run a wider turn around the brake booster / reservoir. The angle on the throttle bracket also may be adding some friction. Is the throttle cable adjusted with some slack? You should be able to gently tug on the bare cable between the throttle bracket and the throttle plate mechanism with no change in rpm. You won't feel it in the gas pedal. The gas pedal is also part of the system. A sticky gas pedal will make the situation worse.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I am not sure I understand the issue... if you have slop on teh cable, is the accelerator cable actuator arm pulled taught enough to NOT be resting on the throttle stop screw? If your actuator arm is setting on the throttle stop screw and you still have slop in the cable, then your accelerator cable is NOT the issue. If your actuator arm is pulled taught by the throttle cable and slightly open then your accelerator cable is binding somehow.

The hunting I had (1500-2000 when warm) was because four reasons:

1. The throttle stop screw on the actuator arm was misadjusted
2. The TPS was misadjusted
3. The distributor timing was misadjusted
4. the idle air screw was misadjusted

If one of these values are off, you have to work all four values to correct it back to as close to factory as possible. As in, if the throttle stop screw is misadjusted, you will have to adjust the TPS, idle air screw, distributor timing, then the stop screw (then repeat... repeatedly) until you get the proper timing at the proper RPM range with the TPS within proper spec.

If it is the accelerator cable, you should be able to (while the engine RPM is hunting) open the hood, and grab the accelerator cable at the actuator arm and pull on it to create some slack.
If you force the actuator arm against the throttle stop screw you may stop it hunting but that would be because you're adding additional force that you should have to.

You can also just disconnect the accelerator cable from the actuator arm completely and see if it hunts still. if it does, get yourself a multimeter, socket wrench, screw driver and some feeler gauges and get to work adjusting everything.
Last edited by SuperK on July 29th, 2014, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”