96 Mazda mx3 /w KLZE KL31-101 issues

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Sagittia
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

96 Mazda mx3 /w KLZE KL31-101 issues

Post by Sagittia »

Hey all. Just bought a '96 mx3 with a KL31-101 curve neck .. ECU is K853 and using a KL02 VAF.
Issue i am finding at the moment is the CEL is doing a static constant blinking, in like 1 sec intervals when car is running.
I tore down the throttle body and clean that up, checked the stock boot for the air intake.. did find a few cracks, and temp plugged them by wrapping tape around.
took a few snaps of the VRIS points.. one looks like its missing a backing? and then also found a vacumn line not connected up near the battery.. not sure what that is for.
perhaps someone here can shed some light for me.. don't have the codes yet from diagnostic.. will need to get a odb2 scanner and get those.

strange how it was fine and now a blinking CEL.. should i be using a JE-50 and a different ECU or just leave it as is?

Thanks ahead of time. Pics below

*update*
Reset the ECU and CEL is no longer on. strange.
Car once warmed up at is held at a 2000rmp idle, fluxuates as if its 'hunting' rev up and down.. haven't noticed this when driving the car though. After car has been rev'd a tad to 2000rpm, the idle wants to stay at 1000rpm.. and curiously enough when i suck on the loose vacumn line in pic 1.. the idle drops down to normal... perhaps this vacumn line was on the origional air box? i recall the 1.8L airbox having a small line going to it.
Thanks again for any input!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: 96 Mazda mx3 /w KLZE KL31-101 issues

Post by Daninski »

Curious, what is the brass fittinged line for in the fourth pic? Like where does it go. Vac leaks are a real problem with this engine so go over ever line checking for leaks. The accordion intake hose is prone to cracking, I fixed one using Goop. ECU and KL02 vaf is fine. On the OBD2 you need to use the KL02 not the JE50vaf so it'll run properly. Suggest you invest in a OBD2 code reader, I bought one off Ebay. Make sure it's updateble. Make sure you have no air in the coolant system because that can cause erratic idle.
I had a 96 I put a ZE in and it ran great so chin up and lets find out what's not crackolackin here. :lol:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Sagittia

Post by Sagittia »

Daninski wrote:Curious, what is the brass fittinged line for in the fourth pic? Like where does it go. Vac leaks are a real problem with this engine so go over ever line checking for leaks. The accordion intake hose is prone to cracking, I fixed one using Goop. ECU and KL02 vaf is fine. On the OBD2 you need to use the KL02 not the JE50vaf so it'll run properly. Suggest you invest in a OBD2 code reader, I bought one off Ebay. Make sure it's updateble. Make sure you have no air in the coolant system because that can cause erratic idle.
I had a 96 I put a ZE in and it ran great so chin up and lets find out what's not crackolackin here. :lol:
The brass piping leads down to the top of the head? not truly sure what that is for. Will be going over all the lines and just replacing them all. That one VRIS sensor is missing the backing it seems.. the other has a cap on it with a mitsu emblem.. will look at a wrecker for a replacement, if it doesnt need to be specific to the klze.
good to hear the right ECU / VAF is being used.. altho that ECU probably isnt running the engine right for peak performance.. that ECU cannot be chipped can it?
And yes that accordian style intake hose is a MUST GO.. looking at just making a CAI and ridding my engine of that nasty looking thing.
Coolant flush is a good suggestion. will have to educate myself on how to do it properly.. changing the oil tommorow, so that would go hand in hand.
I think i can rent a Code reader, so that will have to be pending.
Thanks for the interest Dan.. apprieciate any tid bits of info.

Brass pipe
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

the "hunting" probably is your TPS not adjusted properly. There are directions on the V6 forums on how to adjust the TPS. You'll be doing some fine tuning to idle, distributor timing and TPS adjustment several times to get it down right. Mine used to hunt from 1200-2000 till I adjusted mine
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Sagittia

Post by Sagittia »

SuperK wrote:the "hunting" probably is your TPS not adjusted properly. There are directions on the V6 forums on how to adjust the TPS. You'll be doing some fine tuning to idle, distributor timing and TPS adjustment several times to get it down right. Mine used to hunt from 1200-2000 till I adjusted mine

Decent.. will read into that. I do know that the distrib was replaced, so it would be a safe assumtion that it is off time a tad.. the car runs and all now, but tuning it to its proper spot would be a reassurance. Thanks for that info!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Fuel mixture felt good, smooth acceleration, no soot or fuel smelling exhaust (you know what I mean). MSD window switches can fix/set the VRIS operating range. The ECU is good, I was seeing between 14-19% fuel correction (ZE injectors are 20% bigger than the K8's). I never found a chip but hey you can spend about 2 months solid looking like I did if you like :lol:

This TPS adjust worked as well on my 96 so no change there. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=47561
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Sagittia

Post by Sagittia »

Daninski wrote:Fuel mixture felt good, smooth acceleration, no soot or fuel smelling exhaust (you know what I mean). MSD window switches can fix/set the VRIS operating range. The ECU is good, I was seeing between 14-19% fuel correction (ZE injectors are 20% bigger than the K8's). I never found a chip but hey you can spend about 2 months solid looking like I did if you like :lol:

This TPS adjust worked as well on my 96 so no change there. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=47561
Yea the car feels good when driving. Had the gf follow behind me as I pounded through the gears to see if there was any blue or off color exhaust.. nothing that she saw. I did yank the first three plugs today as well.. Whitish as if its burning lean? i dont notice a fuel smell from exhaust, altho i do smell that anti freeze smell when the engine is idling, and near the fuel rails i smell a bit of fuel.
Thanks for the link btw.. will get on that asap. just letting the air filter dry.. washed it up as it was looking dirty.
Sagittia

Post by Sagittia »

Curious if these solenoid valves will work in place of my old ones.. found em at a wrecker off a mx6 with a KL-101 engine.. the bottom numbers at the bottom (2Y05) are different from mine on the ZE, but all the other numbers are the same. Safe to assume nothing special to these as they are 'generic'? or are they specific to an engine type?

Reason I want to replace mine on the ZE is becasue the mitsu symbol on the back of one appears to have broke off.. and again, I would imagine that these need to be a sealed unit.

Thanks again for any insight.

SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

those little caps are air cleaners. You should still replace them yes.
I believe they have different part numbers. when you replace them, check and see if your VRIS are working. If not, then get the originals again.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”