Considering a SKYACTIV-G 2.0 (PE-VPS) W/ 6spd swap

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions

Would you like to see a swap log if I undertake the project?

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Maybe
No votes
It's not worth the effort
No votes

Total votes: 6

Bengalari
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Considering a SKYACTIV-G 2.0 (PE-VPS) W/ 6spd swap

Post by Bengalari »

I'm aware however that it would take a bit of work.

Increased power, better mileage, and the MX-3 weighs less as a whole than the new 3.

and parts for the conversion would only run $5-6k instead of $15-24k for the 3 itself depending on year and mileage/options.

Has anyone else considered this? I ran several different search terms through the forums, Google, and mazda24/7 with no luck, so I thought I would post to get feedback, ideas, see if I'm maybe overlooking problems with the swap.

I was considering, taking the running gear from a 2012-2014 3 and replacing the stock components on my mx-3 in short turning my MX-3 into a 3 by proxy.

The only part i have yet to find even a price quote for is the wiring harness, which if necessary I could fabricate.

I am also unsure as to whether I would need to modify the front cross-member to accommodate my new oil pan and trans-axle.
'93 Mazda MX-3 (Stock)
'94 Jeep Grand Cherokee (5.9 swap) "FOR SALE"
'92 Honda Accord (Deceased)
'86 Mercury Lynx (Sold)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Considering a SKYACTIV-G 2.0 (PE-VPS) W/ 6spd swap

Post by Daninski »

I say go for it, blaze the trail like an early pioneer. You'll have to measure every thing up and then decide if it's really worth it. Have you checked out Probetalk or even Club Protege as they may have some info there. All I can say beyond that is good fookin luck. :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Bengalari

Post by Bengalari »

There's a Mazda dealership less than 20 minutes from here, I'm going to try and find time tomorrow to go get some measurements and possibly a side by side photo of the two engine bays for a basic comparison.

I'll also try and get a look at the two trans-axles side by side as well in an effort to determine whether or not any cross-member changes will need to be made.

The MX is currently my daily so short of getting everything prepped for a weekend job, it will be awhile before i have all the funds and parts necessary for the full swap.
'93 Mazda MX-3 (Stock)
'86 Mercury Lynx (Sold)
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :pimp: :froggie_red: :froggie_red: :froggie_red: :freak:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
RogueWolf

Post by RogueWolf »

Fantastic idea... but I think that $6000 is not going to cover it. :(

Still, it would be FAST~!

Lots of research needed; you will need completely new wiring harness, computer, and all engine electricals. Best hope is to find one that's been written off and grab the parts as a whole.

The Mazda 3 has a 5cm wider wheel base, (or about an inch on either side) which is enough to make putting stock Mazda3 axles in place a proper pain in the butt. But *maybe* they use the same splined shaft and you can get away with either MX3, 323, Mazda3, or Mazda6 axles... but that's where research is going to be needed.

The Mazda3's speedo runs differently than the old style used on the MX3... not sure how to get around this besides aftermarket gauges, which would solve most of the gauging problems (tach, temp, etc.)

The engine is light, but that 6-speed manual gearbox is a pig, weighs more than 40lbs more than the G-series 5-speed gearbox. Some serious transmission mounts will be needed, as none of the tranny mounts will line up... not sure about the engine mounts, the few Mazda3's I've seen have similar mounting locations as the Protege/MX3 1.8 inline 4.

I'm not saying the project isn't worth doing... I mean come on, it would be awesome, and you would receive kudos from just about everyone here on MX-3.com and many Mazda forums, but it's not going to be easy.

Good luck Sir!

-RW
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Bengalari wrote:parts for the conversion would only run $5-6k
Where do you get your figure? Have you priced out the motor yet?
Bengalari wrote:Has anyone else considered this? I ran several different search terms through the forums, Google, and mazda24/7 with no luck, so I thought I would post to get feedback, ideas, see if I'm maybe overlooking problems with the swap.
That motor is very, very new. Most people don't have the budget to attemp that, and your only talking about a motor that's been on the market for what, 2 years? That's definitely not enough time to have people do that, if they will. Most would do a motor swap for performance reasons, it's not common for people to swap motors for fuel efficiency alone. You have to go back quite a bit into the older Mazdas to have it be a power increase as well. The problem with that is that you're looking at the Mx-3/323/Protege era of cars, where the community is slowly dying off, and they're dying off, rusting away. You'll find very little people with those cars with the passion and/or the means to do that kind of swap. You might be on your own for a while.

Bengalari wrote:The only part i have yet to find even a price quote for is the wiring harness, which if necessary I could fabricate.
Wiring harnesses are usually expensive, but to fabricate one? The problem with that is finding all the connectors you'll need to connect to the sensors and more importantly, the ECM. It should also be drive by wire, so look into sourcing and replacing your gas pedal system.

You'll get to make that ECM very, very happy. It's a precise high compression motor. If you half-a-- the install, and don't connect all the sensors it wants, I bet you it'll go into limp mode and stay there until you fix the issues, making all the money and time you spend on it not worth it.

You won't know until you take some measurements. You would have to look at all the other non-conventional swaps you can find to see what they had to do. It wont give you the answers your looking for to install a SkyActiv motor, but it'll give you an idea.
Bengalari wrote:I am also unsure as to whether I would need to modify the front cross-member to accommodate my new oil pan and trans-axle.
RogueWolf wrote:Fantastic idea... but I think that $6000 is not going to cover it. :(
I agree. You'll probably spend that just in parts.
RogueWolf wrote:Still, it would be FAST~!
155hp is still 155hp, no matter if it's an efficient SkyActiv motor or not.
It's not hard to beat that for power. A simple turbo kit would kill that, but for swaps. the KLDE or a B6T would easilly what you're looking for there.
RogueWolf wrote:Lots of research needed; you will need completely new wiring harness, computer, and all engine electricals. Best hope is to find one that's been written off and grab the parts as a whole.
Indeed
RogueWolf wrote:The Mazda 3 has a 5cm wider wheel base, (or about an inch on either side) which is enough to make putting stock Mazda3 axles in place a proper pain in the butt. But *maybe* they use the same splined shaft and you can get away with either MX3, 323, Mazda3, or Mazda6 axles... but that's where research is going to be needed.
The chassis and drivetrain is too different. Would be nice if the splines matched up, but I still guarantee custom axles will need to be made anyway.
RogueWolf wrote:The Mazda3's speedo runs differently than the old style used on the MX3... not sure how to get around this besides aftermarket gauges, which would solve most of the gauging problems (tach, temp, etc.)
The last gen Protege used the ABS sensors, but my buddy's Fusion 2.3's speedo isn't working and it's a sensor in the trans that needs to be replaced, so it depends on what they decided to go with.
RogueWolf wrote:that 6-speed manual gearbox is a pig, weighs more than 40lbs more than the G-series 5-speed gearbox.
Are you sure? They'd advertised it to be lighter and stronger, but maybe that's comparing 6-speeds, but I doubt having an extra gear would increase the weight by at least 40lbs.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Bengalari

Post by Bengalari »

I work at an auto parts store and delved into locating the parts necessary, not including the wiring harness and any part/mount fabrication I'm at $3800, so 5-6k should cover the conversion.
Last edited by Bengalari on May 15th, 2014, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
'93 Mazda MX-3 (Stock)
'86 Mercury Lynx (Sold)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

What's the price of the motor? The only options to get one should be the wreckers, which they're far from plentiful I would think, or a crate from Mazda directly.

I can find used gearboxes on eBay for about $1000, and a wiring harness for a little over $200. If the motor isn't crazy expensive, it could be doable.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Bengalari

Post by Bengalari »

Motor from LKQ for $1000, the mx3 engine bay is about a foot longer, and our front cross-member isn't an issue...

Engine mounts are minimally different.

Leaving connecting the suspension and running the new wiring harness and mounting the transmission...

There's an extra inch on either side of the axles... Increase the camber angle slightly and call it good?

The 6spd trans I feel will be the most difficult part of the swap.

And I had no intention of using aftermarket gauges, I plan on using the full MAZDA 3 gauge cluster...

my concern is overcoming the automatic shoulder belt...
'93 Mazda MX-3 (Stock)
'86 Mercury Lynx (Sold)
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

automatic shoulder belt? Swap to a manual belt?
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Bengalari

Post by Bengalari »

are there mounting spots for a manual belt in a '93? Or is that another fabrication job?
'93 Mazda MX-3 (Stock)
'86 Mercury Lynx (Sold)
mx3_ryder
antispam: No

Post by mx3_ryder »

Bengalari wrote:are there mounting spots for a manual belt in a '93? Or is that another fabrication job?
Yes, there's mounting locations.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

The headliner in the automatic seat belt version is a bit shorter on the ends so either needs to be modified and reapply fabric or replace the headliner with a manual seatbelt car.
The manual belts mount right up just fine though.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”