Supercharging a K8?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Supercharging a K8?

Post by kulluminati777 »

kulluminati777 wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Just straight attacking his spelling.

PLEASE dont waste you energy and knowledge super charging a K8. Im sure after its all said and done you would be making N/A with full bolt on and Megasquirt ZE power (200ish) :lol: :lol: :lol:

The K8 is just a weak weak terrible motor. I mean 130HP or so from a V6? Mazda stop trying to be unique. Sometimes its a stupid idea and its not even cool either. If it was a 1.8 and put out 160 from a V6 then THAT is something awesome. I mean they could of even brought the K8ZE and put them in the American MX3 and im sure it would of been more of a fan favorite. Even for 1992 and up the 4cyls in its class were putting out the same power.

honda guys are getting 170+ from 4cyl 1. whatever liters with little to no money. To get a K8DE there you would have to spend THOUSANDS+

Save yourself time and money and rebuild a DE from the ground up and throw a SC on it start with higher power and go higher. Also just a note. Probetalk.com is a AWESOME resource for KLDE and ZE knowledge and TONS of people have already supercharged a DE so you could just take notes from them. I havent read anything on super chargers here. Or maybe i havent looked hard enough....

....I think this guy already gave you the K8 answer you seek....but to add to your weak point Q is your wallet. Spend unnecessary to be different also send me some money if you can throw away dollars like that. Ill also leave you with this famous line. There is no replacement for displacement. Im sure your friend with a 1.6 meth nos turbo super speed fluctuator has spent a few thousands to get his power. Spend a little less and make double his numbers with just a turbo on a junk yard DE
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Yea thats true but im going to be doing autocross so im not lookin to push 400hp...just looking for 1st in modified class however its broken down class wise...being different is fun but first is more importaint to me...but suspension is first...custom strut bars are first of first actually...as soon as they are made ill post pics
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Also disclaimer I have very strong ADHD so thats to explain the all over the place and starting many different things before one is finished lol
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

posey92 wrote:Also disclaimer I have very strong ADHD so thats to explain the all over the place and starting many different things before one is finished lol
THATS why you start so many threads ;)

Think of gains in percentages. 50% net power gain from 130HP will yield 195HP. That's the same HP from a naturally aspirated KLZE.

50% net power gain from say a KLDE @ 170HP will net 255HP

So when you're considering the tuning, internal strengthening (K8 rods for example are the size of a #2 pencil) engine management, custom piping so on so forth, how much money do you think you'll spend?

Because I can tell you that a ZE can be had for under a grand, and all you really need for it to work well is the engine and the ECU.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Well im trying to keep away from the ze because it is high compression...but DEs can be had at the yard for 275 but no warrenty at all...so next option is to find a website to get a quality used engine with low milage just to start next season in modified class with na motor then get a jy for for that cheap and build away takin my time until it built and done...

And yeah thats why theres so many posts lol.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

you're looking at 2-3k at least for a supercharger setup... it's not even in the same league as a DE for 275.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Well as far as the wupercharger setup is cncerned I have the charger on hand the belt I use is a honda timing belts for the teeth and strength. ..after I do the math to figure out what size to have my pulleys I then scope the jy for timing gears for appropriate sizes...I always do a low med and high boost I want to give wiggle room...using timing gears eliminates the need for multiple tesnioners since ribbed belts need 270* of belt wrap to keep from slipping. Toothed belt no slip one tensioner...those are 5 bux already have the intercooler...buddy wil do custom piping for 2 bills...just have to shell out cash for the emanage...my way is harder and more labor intensive but way cheaper...plus I have most stuff on hand from previous build for my 1.5 mirage.
zerialz

Post by zerialz »

SuperK wrote:
(K8 rods for example are the size of a #2 pencil)
Is a very important point :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”