Who here has physcially attempted a KL-47 swap?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

Who here has physcially attempted a KL-47 swap?

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

KL-47: Twin Screw Millennia engine

I know this has been discussed before and people don't believe this swap is physically possible because the supercharger supposedly wont clear the hood. Has anyone physically attempted this?
Sure its not a KLZE, but KL47s were made for forced induction which means that they have a lot of potential.

It was once said that the square port KLZE intake manifold was not safe for the MX3 until someone figured out we could use a different brake booster from another Mazda car.
Looking at MrMazda92's thread: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81461
It seems like anything can be possible on our cars but due to the lack of support, some of us choose to go the easy route.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Who here has physcially attempted a KL-47 swap?

Post by kulluminati777 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That thread should not be your inspiration. i could tell you im making a flying MX3 and would you be inspired by no real explanation on how im doing or progress...ever? I would love for someone to do a "Kl47" or a KJ-ZEM motor as the rest of the world calls it into a MX3 lol. Way more Wheel horse power right off the bat. I have never seen a dyno of that motor but i bet it actually puts out 217 or at least 200 as advertised. The fact the KLZE is crank rated 200hp and only puts out like 170 -180ish makes me sick. At the end of the day anything is possible with enough time and money most take the easy route not due to laziness but money and time most of the time....and no no one has tried it so make it happen captain. Also the straight neck and the curve neck ZE manifolds are both square port. There is a user on the facebook page that put a straight neck on without even modifying the brake booster. He just modded the throttle linkage and put the battery in the back. Which I thought was very cool.

Also I said the word KLZE so if your out there looking at this thread please dont start a "Real KLZE" discussion. There is enough of those. You know who you are lol.
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I haven't been on here in a long time. I meant straight neck manifold. Why modify the throttle body when you can just change the brake booster?

Anyway, once I get situated, I am going to return to the MX3 game and look into a KL47.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:I haven't been on here in a long time. I meant straight neck manifold. Why modify the throttle body when you can just change the brake booster?

Anyway, once I get situated, I am going to return to the MX3 game and look into a KL47.

I hope you return to the MX3 game soon. Its a lonely world :D and Yeah you should really look into a KJ-ZEM swap(thats what its really called hint hint) and you go that linkage route because its free and easier than rebuilding a master cylinder to fit a different brake booster....You just have to bend the linkage in 5mm or so and presto you have a straight neck.
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

there was someone who attempted a KJ swap. It stopped at the transmission. You'd be looking at creating a custom adapter plate and modified bellhousing... anyways, since there isn't any documented MX-3 with a KJ, your best inspiration would be from the KJ swapped Protege5. It went through a few owners before it was complete. Last I heard it wasn't reliable and an electrical nightmare.
It won't be easy, but if you have the time and resources it would be a fun project to follow along with.
There are plenty of KLs that have been supercharged and turbocharged in the mx-6 and probe world. if speed is your game, building a KL is both possible, rewarding and probably cheaper and easier. just depends on how big of a challenge you want!
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The KJ-ZEM has been done in a Protege. Same guy with a KL Festiva I believe.

KL47 is the stamping for parts for the KL Millenia, usually in reference to the TB or IM or ECU.

The KJ is the code for the 2.3L K-series Miller-Cycle Supercharged engine.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
RogueWolf

Post by RogueWolf »

The only working solution I have EVER seen was a KJ (sorta) in an MX6.

How it was done:

1) Start with a stripped KLZE/KLDE block. (The block bolts up to our trannies no problem.)
2) Use a KLZE forged crankshaft with KJ (Millenia S) rods.
3) Assemble the KJ cylinder heads with KLZE (or Interprep forced induction) camshafts. (I was told, they are drop fit.)
4) Assemble the comically weird assortment of piping that becomes the intake manifold.
5) Use the KLDE/KLZE Throttle Position sensor, VAF and any other KL sensors that attach to the intake side.
(Yes the VAF sucks, but it was on this ride.)
6) Increase the size of the supercharger pulley to decrease the boost, and drill and tap a blow off valves to each bank after the intercoolers.
7) I believe that they used the Alternator/Air conditioner serpentine belt, but it might have been the waterpump/power steering pump belt.
8) Millenia Injectors, fuel rail and an aftermarket FPR.
9) I forgot to mention running the oil lines to the supercharger... actually pretty easy as I believe they can be run from the KJ heads.

Note... you're not getting a Miller cycle engine here... you're getting a supercharged ZE, with 2.5L of displacement, and his was controlled by a Megasquirt unit on top of a KL31 ECU.

Apparently he tried and tried to get the Millenia's computer to work without the automatic tranny, but that became a nightmare, so he just swapped in a ZE, and went with the KJ heads, supercharger and intake... everything else remains KL.

To anyone who might know him, I know he's got a cottage in the Kawartha Lakes area, I met him in Apsley Ontario over the August Long weekend a couple years ago. Dark dark green metalic MX6, with black shaded headlights.

Not sure that helps... but I bet it hauled @$$.
Last edited by RogueWolf on April 28th, 2014, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jforce

Post by Jforce »

^
That's brilliant.

That could actually work very well, as use can still use original mounts, axles, ect. (if it fits in the bay that is.)

What about timing, can you just use the KJ timing belt?
RogueWolf

Post by RogueWolf »

No idea about the camshaft timing belt... didn't ask, and I don't think it was exposed... also I don't think it's a question that I would ever have thought to ask. But I've seen both camshafts... and I don't recall there being any visual difference in the belt pulleys.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

kulluminati777 wrote: Also I said the word KLZE so if your out there looking at this thread please dont start a "Real KLZE" discussion. There is enough of those. You know who you are lol.
:shrug: :lol:
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
[LVPA]93GsSe

Post by [LVPA]93GsSe »

Just a random thought, but is there any way to adapt this to a k8. Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm drawing a blank at the moment.
Knowing you've spent too much on your car,
yet, you still want to keep modding. -priceless
^
|
boosted_bullet

93 Honda Accord LX - Wrecked
95 Honda Del Sol Si - Stolen
92 Honda Accord EX - Parted out
2000 Toyota Celica GTS - Cracked block and broken differential teeth
93 SE - ATX to MTX, work as always in progress
01 Toyota Celica GTS - DD

Worklog to be up soon, still... ...
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

RX8SE3P wrote:
kulluminati777 wrote: Also I said the word KLZE so if your out there looking at this thread please dont start a "Real KLZE" discussion. There is enough of those. You know who you are lol.
:shrug: :lol:
Millenia engines are real KLZE engines.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

SuperK wrote:Millenia engines are real KLZE engines.

:rant2:
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
posey92

Post by posey92 »

So if im understanding this thread this is essential ly a k block engibe...so couldnt you simply bolt the topend of a 2.5 or 1.8 to this bottone end...and just run the milli ecu with tgat milli harness...bottom end is what has all the mounts...seems simple what am I missing...and I say this because the yard has a complete SC milli...
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I don't think you're understanding. You'll need to read it again... and again... and again.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”