After market fpr stock k8

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: After market fpr stock k8

Post by Josh »

guys guys calm down.. That was just while I was doing some preliminary tuning right after I hooked up the system.. It was at like 10 -12 under throttle, so much so that it would just read "RICH" in the software. My goals are for commuting at this point ;) it is fine. I am running a pretty constant 12-14 right now, with minor fluctuations which is just my O2 sensor, and a 15-16 at idle. When I first hooked everything up it was running crazy lean at idle about 16-18 then super rich under load. It auto calibrated an up to 5% variable of richness (as most use this system for boost) and I leaned that out so I am running a 2% variable now. most guys I have talked to say they have the best results with this system between a 1% and 3% variable. The car is running incredibly so I am not too worried about anything, though I may benefit from running colder plugs again. I am no longer seeing a plume of black smoke when I get on it, which is nice. Though I have noticed next to no change in my MPG yet, though it has been raining and that tends to lose me a few. I have not yet taken out my VAF, I should be doing that any day, or as soon as I go buy an IAT sensor.
Jforce wrote:
But anyway, eventhough i'm supposed to run leaner with this new chip, I feel i'm still running rich.

I won't pass emmisions actually, 20 mpg I think on highway, quite black sparks, sooted exhaust.

2 years ago id did pass emision, with the KL31 ECU. Wonder what's different.

So that why i bought the wideband.
only 20 MPG! that is crazy I average 25 to 28. I have only gotten as low as 24 and that was a full take of hard driving. I run a pretty constant 26MPG with my commuting. city and highway about 80 or so miles a day. Do you have your EGR hooked up or blocked off? Could be a bad or tired O2 sensor also.
Jforce
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Jforce »

No EGR.

Have some replacement O2's lying arround.

Here's a (new) spark now (failed Emissions):

As you can see, its also a black on the ceramic, except for idle.

This is from a 2 years ago (passed Emissions):

Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Well if you have been running this rich for a while then you may want to seafoam it anyways. Couple of things you can do to trick the emissions, like adjust the mixture back on the throttle bodie, advance the timing a little, but that will not resolve whatever is causing you to run rich. I would lean towards the O2' sensors.
Jforce

Post by Jforce »

Don't need to trick, I'm passing anyway (eventhough i'm not :wink: )

I'm welding op the nut for the wideband in 2 weeks, so than I can be sure what's going on.

Seafoam is not available here, but I haven't driven that many miles in the 2 years.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

20mpg is a little bad. I'm running a consistent 25mpg in the city at the moment and that includes the irresistible urge to let those rpms fly :lol:

You'll know for sure once the wideband is in. Low rpm+throttle it will/should always aim for 14.7 - so as long as you are not flogging it hard and doing tons of stop start driving it should be better than 20mpg.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Jforce

Post by Jforce »

So after replacing coolant sensor Im running 25mpg.

Also wideband is installed.

14.3 cruise and idle.

13.5 Wot
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Lol so this went somewhere I didnt follow since page 1. But looks like im going to be using my fpr after all since I know have a fpr engine code...so the question is what to set the pressure at pretty much stock cept for ditsy mod and ram air...
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Jforce wrote:So after replacing coolant sensor Im running 25mpg.

Also wideband is installed.

14.3 cruise and idle.

13.5 Wot
Have you logged anything at all? I've got logging software with mine, so far struggling to change to fuel ratios. I'm not even sure they can be changed on the stock ecu. Seems to run at around 12, then goes to about 13 from 3-4K then richens up to 11.5-12 near the end. This is using a modded 95 DE eprom.

Sorry for thread hijack posey92
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Jforce

Post by Jforce »

Nah not logged anything yet, still have to connect half the wires :P

Only connected essentials for the gauge to work, but its suprisingly lean for the mpg.

Will post the results when everything is connected.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”