UUUHHHGGGGG!!! CONFUSED AND FRUSTRATED

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
posey92
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

UUUHHHGGGGG!!! CONFUSED AND FRUSTRATED

Post by posey92 »

Ok so I made a post recently about changing your trans fluid. It fixed my 2nd gear grind. I could down shift into second and burn the tires thru second into 3rd. Well now today im getting the grind again downshifting into second. Upshift seems fine for now. Any ideas...I havnt check for leaks yet but at the time and a few days after I did. So any ideas before I have to skip second again. Or what I should plan to buy soon.
kulluminati777

Re: UUUHHHGGGGG!!! CONFUSED AND FRUSTRATED

Post by kulluminati777 »

I think your tranny is old with alot of miles and your driving it like its fresh from the factory. Slowly killin them syncos...
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Yea well I prolly got a bit ahead of myself and a lil over excited...so not more downshifting to second and taking it easy...:( o well it was a fun 2 weeks ..
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

lol yeah these trannys are not best or toughest especially if it has 150XXX and up miles on it. I would take it easy drive normal not like your on the daytona 500 and when you do the swap swap in a tranny with less mileage or rebuilt with an LSD. The motor is out anyway so it will be easy. Also get the 626 manual tranny the final drive is cut to a spec where you save gas in 5th compared to the probe. MX6 and MX3 5th gears plus no one really races 626´s and downshifts and has fun with them. They just drive them and use´s the brakes to slow down/stop so the tranny will be less abused.....
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Yea I said before I basically taught myself how to drive stick and for some reason I just assume if you cant properly dosn shift then you dont know how to drive stick lol...plus save in brake changes lol..and good to know in an emergency where just braking wont cut it.

Thanx on the 626 thing too:)
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

Yeah but me personally Id rather change brake pads than transmissions but thats just me. Plus i never saw the point of down shifting unless your driving down a mountain or your trying to get the best possible time on the track. Not going to 7/11 for some nachos and a slurpee....
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Yup personal preferance im just always poised in the lower gear to floor if and go which I do often. Ill be tracking down a tranny soon...and doing some research on the LSD. As ive heard the term but not sure exactly what it does. Its gotta do something great because from what ive seen they are usually 7-800 $ and up. Plus the price of an install if its not something I can do myself lile needing very special tools I cant rent.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

you just have to drill out the riveted differential and slap in the new limited slip with new bearings and all of course. All it really does is keep power at both wheels. Its good for corner speed where the normal diff sends power to the slipping (outside) wheel. Helps with torque steer as well. Im not sure about off the line take off but i dont see why not...
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Well I do like the sound of it as my goal for the car is to be a DD but AutoX it when I can. But I did find an online source that has a jdm mx6 with a lsd already...emailed for more info but its onluly 600 bux...
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

lol pay the extra 200 and get the Mfactory LSD. Its $600 ok but you forgot shipping. Also the MX6 CV axles are longer or the spline count for the axles is different from our hubs I forget or maybe im thing the lantis R tranny :shrug: . Plus how used and abused is that tranny..... Dont be like me and cheap out on the important stuff in the beginning. Take your time and save up TONS of cash for swaps. Have a 2nd car and have a place and time where you can take your time and do it perfectly right the very first time....
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

cheap out and half-a-- everything you do. Then complain, sell your car for dollars because it's shoddy and unfinished, then claim you're moving on to something with "more potential" than the MX-3.

Just kidding. the MSP LSD welded into a MX-6/626 transmission would be the cheapest and easiest to modify if you're on a budget.

Otherwise I would go with the MFactory like kulluyourmami said
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

posey92 wrote:Yea I said before I basically taught myself how to drive stick and for some reason I just assume if you cant properly dosn shift then you dont know how to drive stick lol...plus save in brake changes lol..and good to know in an emergency where just braking wont cut it.

Thanx on the 626 thing too:)
Personally I'd change brakes rather than rebuild transmission, but it's up to you. If you have rich parents maybe they'll fund your transmission rebuild, otherwise use brakes to slow down your car.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

SuperK wrote:cheap out and half-a-- everything you do. Then complain, sell your car for dollars because it's shoddy and unfinished, then claim you're moving on to something with "more potential" than the MX-3.

Just kidding. the MSP LSD welded into a MX-6/626 transmission would be the cheapest and easiest to modify if you're on a budget.

Otherwise I would go with the MFactory like kulluyourmami said

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah i forgot about the Mazdaspeed protege LSD (the welded version). That would be a much cheaper and almost as good option as well. You can get those for what around 400 online maybe 300 used or so at a pick and pull (If you ever run into a MSP there)...
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Yup not trying to cheap out on stuff but if I can do it cheaper ill find a way lol. Thanx for the advice on everything always appreciated. ..like painting my car...couple hndred to get it painted to spend the 20 bux I did:)...not an A+ paint but it looks a hell of alot better than primer and the white was driving me nuts lol.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Could be the slave.

For years I had the 3rd gear grind, and had eventually gotten the parts for the ZX2/MSP LSD swap to try to resolve that, but in the meantime, my slave cylinder went. So I got a garage to replace the slave cylinder and put in a CS stainless clutch line while they were at it, and after that, my 3rd gear stopped grinding....
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Transmissions”