Couple Issues Could Use Some Assistance

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
posey92
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Couple Issues Could Use Some Assistance

Post by posey92 »

So I know ive been pretty active but I like to know everything...and I LOVE my MX-3 ive had many cash offerbof more then I paid but turned it down. My Email has been some form of poseymx3 for 10 yrs lol anyways on to the issues. Rather then make a bunch of topics ill just post them here.

1. Oil. Im going thru a bit of oil. I drive an average of 5-700 miles a week. Ive put in atleast 2 quarts a week. One time I also used a bottle of Lucas stop leak. Im not blowing smoke so I can assume my valves and rings are ok. Car has roughly 235k. I cant see my valve covers but I figure its fair to assume that thats whwre my oil goes. Ive ran across a few discussion on this in the 270 pages under the V6 side. But never any clear answers I can remember. So before I track down the gaskets what other things did you do besides just change it. I believe I even read some one even changed the gasket multiple time with no effect.

2. I read somewhere that someone found you could get bushing concerning the transmission from Napa but it was for a different mazda you had to ask for. I think it was thw 323. Can anyone verify year make and model I ask for and what bushings these replace.

3. Lastly ill be putting a sub in the floor of my hatch. I cut off that metal for the spare tire bolt but my sub is still too tall. Rather then raise the hole hatch area that big lump the tire fits over is ther any thing belowe it that would prevent me from hammering it the other way. Or do I have ro cut it out. Not looking to turn it completly inside out if I domt have to just enough for my sub to sit flat. But if I need to id like to know thats an option.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Couple Issues Could Use Some Assistance

Post by Daninski »

A compression test will confirm rings or valves (wet/dry). If your driving hwy miles and your constantly driving 'a little over the limit' the high RPMs can exacerbate the oil consumption problem.
Not sure why your looking at what you seem to describe a rear engine bushing. There is a seal there but if it's gone your engine would be leaking oil from the rear bottom of the engine. Valve cover leaks are of course very easy to see and I suspect both your front are rear valve covers are leaking just from the mileage you indicated. You should be smelling the oil as it burns on the block and exhaust though from the valve cover leaks.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
icajewler

Post by icajewler »

I just use a nice thick bead of black permatex for my valve cover gaskets (sometimes even exhaust flange) never had a single drop come out of them since. I second the compression test. It'll tell you almost everything for your oil problem if you can't see noticeable leaks. A good sniff of the exhaust after driving those long miles should also give a hint. 250k miles is a good solid number for piston rings and such. How often and what specific tune up procedures do you do?
93 MX3 SE (klze conversion in progress)
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
92 MX3 GS sold :( missed!
The very air around me seemed to catch fire and freeze at the same time, that's how I knew he had enough for today.
Rangers Lead The Way!
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Well its not highway miles its all city as I deliver pizza and have a rather large delivery are compared to pizza chains...and today I did actually notice the smell...im usually running around and ADHD comes into play. Lol ok so next time I drive I need to take notice. As I usually smoke or have pizza in the car dont notice outside smells unless I think about it. But yea its prolly definately the valve covers. As far as past maint. I can only assume it was decent. I know I am the 4th owner and the interior is immaculate. And an engine mount is new so I know unless the engine mount is broken and the engine is falling its usually last on most ppls list of things to fix. I myself have changed plugs and wires and the tranny oil. Engine oil isnt at the top seeing how ive consistantly been adding oil so its kinda cycled its self out lol. But this next week after all my bills are caught up ill catch up. Ill be doing the valve covers with the black rtv. And put some fresh oil and filter on it. Then ill do a compression test. Either way that pans out ill be on the look out for a clean DE to swap before I worry about replacing my stock rings or valves. I got eyes and ears at 4 of the local yards so if anything promising shows up ill be the first to know.

And the bushings I though were involved with the shifter assembly. I might just have to track down the original post. But I belive it was mentioned as an alternative to the srd bushing.

And when I get a min to crawl under my car next week ill figure out what to do with that spare tire lump.

And...and....ive been working on catching my spelling errors for you guys;);) lol
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

that much oil doesn't leak out unless you're leaving puddles of oil. Just because you don't see smoke doesn't mean you're not burning it. it sounds like piston rings.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Quite possible. But upon closer examination I am leaking from my valve covers as well...so with on a couple months. I say 3 at most ill be rockin a DE...
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Well got ahead of myself I think...but a DE at the yard is 250...and my guy just let me know this morning that a 93 mx6 with 89k on it. The rearend was totaled he said but the engine and everything is perfectly fine....so having not had to do rings or valves before which would incur the least cost. If its a difference of say 50 bux ill try and go with the swap. I know rings id atleast have to re hone cylindes and gaskests on the way down. Valve stems ive heard need to be done by a machine shop...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”