How To Find A Good KLDE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
posey92
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

How To Find A Good KLDE

Post by posey92 »

So ill be on the hunt soon for a junkyard DE. I want to find one in reasonable shape. I wont ve rebuilding th whole thing but I will be replacing key components like all gaskets timing stuff and possibly oil pump. But when im hunting a few questions.

I know I need ro find an OBD1 engine as my mx3 is 92. And I know I need the air sensor matching the engine. But what vehicles should I look for with the best engine. I know the probe gts have it and the mx6. Are there any luxary type vehicles that only come in automatic that carry this engine. At least thatll be a good start. Itll prolly be in better shape since its prolly owned by an older person. And auto means it wont spend alot of time in the higher rpm.
RX8SE3P

Re: How To Find A Good KLDE

Post by RX8SE3P »

You're quite the active new member eh :welder:

Well:

1 It's just the wiring looms and ECU's that matter mostly. If you have a 92/3 car, get a 92/3 ECU. The VAF for all KLDE are the KL02 so that doesn't matter. Don't over think it too much though, chips can be made to suit the loom+engine etc.

2. Your auto theory is somewhat correct but just shine a torch inside the oil cap and see how black/golden/silver it looks in there, it's a quick way to see the service history without tearing it down. Silver = awesome. Light gold = really good. Golden = ok. Golden brown = getting old. Black/Borwn = stay away!

3. Over here we have mazda 626 and ford telstar that also have the KLDE in it. Alternatively, you can get a Mazda Millenia engine that has the curve neck. Using the ecu off that requires more work though, you can just run it with a KLDE ecu and VAF though.

4. Don't bother with the oil pump IMO. All the failures I've read about here have been from people changing them to aftermarket ones!
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Mazda Millenia. the KL only came in automatic. (Don't ask about the 2.3l KJ engine. Just don't. Do.Not). Plus it will have the droids you're look.. I mean, it'll have the intake manifold you'll want to use.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I can't see a junkyard DE with less than 200k on it where as a good JDM ZE probably hase less than 100k for sure. Up to you. :shrug:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Well its all about my long term plans budget and acceptability. I will be boosting it for sure so I want the lower compression. I can go get a DE at the yard complete for round 200 and less. Where as for a ZE I have to hunt. Pay more money then hope its an actual ZE and find a curve neck to make it work.
posey92

Post by posey92 »

SuperK wrote:Mazda Millenia. the KL only came in automatic. (Don't ask about the 2.3l KJ engine. Just don't. Do.Not). Plus it will have the droids you're look.. I mean, it'll have the intake manifold you'll want to use.
Yeah I know all about the KJ Miller Cycle...no intrest in it. Like the idea of it...and for those of u who are running boost its a pretty cool idea...I wont if the cam timing can be adjusted to work the same way being how we are non interferwnce engines. But itd only work on superchargers as u need the boost at low rpm...read up the Miller Cycle if you dont know about it...pretty cool.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”