After market fpr stock k8

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
posey92
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

After market fpr stock k8

Post by posey92 »

I have one laying around from past projects. Ive heard about fuel map flating out or something. Would my stock k8 benefit from putting it on.
RX8SE3P

Re: After market fpr stock k8

Post by RX8SE3P »

Nope. I don't even see why anyone needs one running N/A. Especially not for a K8 lol. Maybe a boosted KL with a faster fuel pump and bigger injectors etc.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Jforce

Post by Jforce »

Well....

Gains would be minimal.

However seen members our club using to bump the pressure.

KL31 run rich, now we have a guy that makes chips here but that makes the car a little to lean at lower rpms. A FPR is used to bump it back up a little. To restore the lower rpm powerband.

Also the AFPR handle the walbro pumps better.

But yeah, using it with the standard kl or k8 ecu's wont help.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Who makes chips run lean at lower rpm? fpr is a bad way to remedy that, if its even true.

I'm installing my wideband today to read afr and change the stock timing and fuel map on the kl31 ecu.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

RX8SE3P wrote: I'm installing my wideband today to read afr and change the stock timing and fuel map on the kl31 ecu.
Are you suggesting you have a way to reflash your ECU?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Yes, I made thread about it a while ago showing various maps and other people's chips, stock ones etc.

Currently fitting a wideband too so it can all be done as accurately as possible. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81294
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Jforce

Post by Jforce »

RX8SE3P wrote:Who makes chips run lean at lower rpm? fpr is a bad way to remedy that, if its even true.

I'm installing my wideband today to read afr and change the stock timing and fuel map on the kl31 ecu.

Just reread the thread, runs a little lean (too lean for best power, not destructive lean) overall. About +10whp (dynoproven) gain.

FPR used to even out a/f ratio.

But stock ecu is rich as fk, and there are not al lot of chips available.

If you can provide a perfect chip please do.

Probinator sucks, so does the extremethings one, and I won't even touch the ebay ones.
Last edited by Jforce on March 17th, 2014, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

At light throttle the stock ecus should be aiming for 14.7 afr. 13 is where best power is but I'd rather save fuel if cruising.

I'll be doing a lot of testing in the coming months once the wideband is complete. I'm mostly going to mess with max throttle afr and timing since I think the stock ecu is good at lower throttle afr.

full throttle though, for most people it's too rich regardless of rpm.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Jforce

Post by Jforce »

Are you planning on making eproms?

or only the tune?
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

I am doing the tune first and testing it out fully with dyno proof. Then I want someone here to also be a tester for us, then once it's 100% confirmed good my friend Stoker100 will flash chips and sell them. He doesn't think there will be much interest but I think there will be if I can dyno prove a large difference (vs KL31 stock ecu)! :P
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

yeah I got 10 WHP by going from a chipped ECU to the KL36. If someone can make a better dyno proven chipset then that would be more desirable. and a chip is a lot cheaper than an entire ECU would be.
Jforce

Post by Jforce »

Josh wrote:yeah I got 10 WHP by going from a chipped ECU to the KL36. If someone can make a better dyno proven chipset then that would be more desirable. and a chip is a lot cheaper than an entire ECU would be.
How many whp do you have?

Edit: I see, 168.9whp with a KL36 wonder if there is any power difference between an KL31 and KL36

This chip I have is dyno proven to give approx +10 whp over the KL31 ECU.

The KL31 ecu made 158,7whp

This chip made 167,9whp

Car was an mx-6 running a full KLZE Longneck.

Note that this wasn't my car, I have yet to dyno mine. But my has the same chip atm.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Jforce wrote:
Josh wrote:yeah I got 10 WHP by going from a chipped ECU to the KL36. If someone can make a better dyno proven chipset then that would be more desirable. and a chip is a lot cheaper than an entire ECU would be.

Edit: I see, 168.9whp with a KL36 wonder if there is any power difference between an KL31 and KL36

This chip made 167,9whp

Note that this wasn't my car, I have yet to dyno mine. But my has the same chip atm.
Do you have any details about this chip? I'd want to see some pictures of the dyno graphs. Is it an Xtreme things ECU, Snailman, Stoker100?

Btw KL31 and KL36 are the same map. I've got them both to look at and there's no difference.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Jforce

Post by Jforce »

RX8SE3P wrote:
Jforce wrote:

This chip made 167,9whp

Do you have any details about this chip? I'd want to see some pictures of the dyno graphs. Is it an Xtreme things ECU, Snailman, Stoker100?

Btw KL31 and KL36 are the same map. I've got them both to look at and there's no difference.
A guy from my club makes these's, its no Xtreme things, Snailmain or stoker100. It's called the Fullsize chip.

No details, no pics ( i know it sucks). And I know balls about chipping myself.

He also mentioned the extreme timing on the probinator.

Only have the chip, I can only dyno myself for real proof. But i don't know what your dyno costs. Ours are more than $100,- per run..........

Here's the chip itself:

But anyway, josh makes the same whp with an stock KL36.....

Edit: did find 1 Dyno with this chip, This is a curved neck, DE-heads, and KL-01 cammed engine. And its crank hp not whp, torque is in NM not Ft-lbs:

Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

So I know the owner before me dyno'd the KL31 motor with curve neck headers and 2.5" exhaust with the chipped K8 ecu at something in the low 150's... Then just for kicks and giggles decided to swap in the KL02 VAF and DE ecu, he jumped up to I believe it was the high 150's. I dont remember I have the dyno sheet somewhere. But all i did was swap on a proper 3" CIA from the 2.5" that was there put in the KL36 and boom!. Still a bit lower than I had thought it would be, just a tad. I will have new dyno results in a few months, as I am changing some things up right now (swapping from the VAF to a MAP).

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”