Supercharging a K8?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
posey92
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Supercharging a K8?

Post by posey92 »

So my other idea was to rebuild a K8 with upgraded internals...but I will be supercharging for sure. But for those of you who dont know you cant just slap on a charger...but to do it correctly its a rather long equation to figure out proper pulley size. Because unlike turbos supercharger boost in controled by the size of pulley. In actuality you could have a pulley made for different application. ..

I need to know a specs to do the equation. If anyone knows where to find engine specs.mostly I need to knpw what the redline is exactly. Then I can figure out h ow much air the engine takes in per stoke vs how much air the charger puts out...

Lol spell checked...sorry really tired when I wrote this last night.
Last edited by posey92 on March 7th, 2014, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitmaks

Re: Supercharging a K8?

Post by mitmaks »

Can you spell check what you've written?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Just straight attacking his spelling.

PLEASE dont waste you energy and knowledge super charging a K8. Im sure after its all said and done you would be making N/A with full bolt on and Megasquirt ZE power (200ish) :lol: :lol: :lol:

The K8 is just a weak weak terrible motor. I mean 130HP or so from a V6? Mazda stop trying to be unique. Sometimes its a stupid idea and its not even cool either. If it was a 1.8 and put out 160 from a V6 then THAT is something awesome. I mean they could of even brought the K8ZE and put them in the American MX3 and im sure it would of been more of a fan favorite. Even for 1992 and up the 4cyls in its class were putting out the same power.

honda guys are getting 170+ from 4cyl 1. whatever liters with little to no money. To get a K8DE there you would have to spend THOUSANDS+

Save yourself time and money and rebuild a DE from the ground up and throw a SC on it start with higher power and go higher. Also just a note. Probetalk.com is a AWESOME resource for KLDE and ZE knowledge and TONS of people have already supercharged a DE so you could just take notes from them. I havent read anything on super chargers here. Or maybe i havent looked hard enough....
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

This is cute.

Engine RPM x displacement = maximum volumetric flow. Not true in the tiniest bit. Do a bit of research on the term "Volumetric Efficiency"

What is your target power? This will give you a better idea of what kind of SC setup you need.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
zerialz

Post by zerialz »

I told you at the yard.. Even rebuilding with forged internals.. The k8 is weak with little support.. If you're going through the hassle, hit me up and we'll pull the KL in the yard.. you can build that then drop it in.. Let me know because I'd help to get experience for my build..
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Well I ultimatly decided to scrap the K8 idea for a readily available DE. And boost that..leaning towards a turbo setup on it. Just for the ease and cost. But I will spend time and money to rebuild the DE with best internals I can so I dont have to dive into the change stuff when I boost. But the issue I run into now is I spoke to a shop out here who has done R&D work for mazda speed. He tried supercharging one of the mx3s with the ZE with a Vortech V3. Afround the 300hp mark the trany would hold. Now matter how easy he shifted or clutxh he used the gears would shred. The transmission is glass as he put it. Anyone with high hp number have this issue.
posey92

Post by posey92 »

What up Zaerials..yea ill be ditchin the K8 for the DE but im have one pulled out in Ontario cali. Yard there has half off days so I can get the entire engine for 75 bux...:)..
zerialz

Post by zerialz »

posey92 wrote:Well I ultimatly decided to scrap the K8 idea for a readily available DE. And boost that..leaning towards a turbo setup on it. Just for the ease and cost. But I will spend time and money to rebuild the DE with best internals I can so I dont have to dive into the change stuff when I boost. But the issue I run into now is I spoke to a shop out here who has done R&D work for mazda speed. He tried supercharging one of the mx3s with the ZE with a Vortech V3. Afround the 300hp mark the trany would hold. Now matter how easy he shifted or clutxh he used the gears would shred. The transmission is glass as he put it. Anyone with high hp number have this issue.
What are you going to run to tune? What turbo? How much boost? What are going to do to add fuel? Mille injectors and Walbro? I'm interested in this build. How long will you be in Vegas.
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Maybe 3-4 months..and ill be boostin prolly 8-10 psi Not sure what DE hp numbers will be...ill keep u guys updated...
zerialz

Post by zerialz »

Let me know if you need help dropping the KL in..
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Will do man..I need to aquire a hoist and stand first tho...also ie read thru to forum a few times but couldnt find anything on the ecu...I think I read that I can use the k8ecu but use the KL MAF..
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

No, grab the ECU and VAF from the car you pull the engine out of. That will be a good starting point.

Also boosting will cost a lot. You could just get the engine in, refurbished as much as possible and see how you like it. The transmission is definitely glass, so turbo with caution.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

If you boost you'll need to go with Megasquirt or some other fuel management system. You have to get your engine tuned and set up with an appropriate fuel map or you'll blow the engine if you use a standard ECU (K8 or DE).
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
posey92

Post by posey92 »

Ok so im doin my own research as well but please and veterans input is appreciated. My buddy is trying to lean me to keeping with the k8 and boosting...my friend did his 1.5 and turbo supercharged with thet m90 NOS and meth injection..so hes trying to keep me different lol...but I alsi found a klde shipped to my door for 800 60k or less warrenty so still a thought...so what issues weak points and such are there to over come with boosting a k8...turbo or sc
posey92

Post by posey92 »

No input on the k8 guys...

Sidenote anyone know any good websites to get quality used engines because that 2.5 I found was at tiger and apperently they are bad...but now thinkin about it some ppl said they are ok if you can scout out the engines in peson and I lnow they are in canada if anyone lives near there wherewver it is would be willing to help scope out and engine there for me I can find out exactly where.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”