KLZE swap, some issues off the bat

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Elli
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

KLZE swap, some issues off the bat

Post by Elli »

I put a ZE in my 92 GS. I'm getting idle problems, which require me to press the gas when I fire it back up unless I sit for a while... as soon as it warms up it basically just stalls. It fires back up no problem as long as I'm pushing the gas. Some things I feel the need to mention, not that I know anything...
Rear o2 sensor is unplugged.
Running stock ECU.
Problem started after I put gas in it. It had old 87 as was doing fine. I added two gallons of 89 right before it started.

Any ideas on what to start looking for?

Also, no speedo. Did I just miss a plug on the tranny?
92 MX-3 ZE "The draggin' wagon"
Colt cams and bolt-ons
mx3_ryder
antispam: No

Re: KLZE swap, some issues off the bat

Post by mx3_ryder »

You mentioned in an earlier post you had found the problem to be a vacuum leak, what happened??
Elli

Post by Elli »

Plugged the larger nipple. Plugged the small line going in after the JE50. After that it held a stable idle all the way up to temp, the wheels spun... up off the ground. After some revving it still held fast and successfully hunted for idle. Idk wtf happened. My friend suggested water, possibly. To also note it doesn't hold perfect idle. I sounds like it misses a fire intermittently a couple times a second. No rythym to the misses.
Colt cams and bolt-ons
davmac

Post by davmac »

I'll take the easy one. The speed sensor is on the top of the differential toward the passenger side axle. So, back of engine, near firewall as far right as you can go and still be part of the transmission. It is a 2 wire plug. The speed sensor is a driven gear and electronics on top held in place by a bolt.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
davmac

Post by davmac »

Misfire: Look at the obvious suspects like spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. If all that is new then a question: What distributor are you using? I believe the key is to use a matching set of ECU, distributor and MAF.

IIRC another post you set TPS by fan method. If you want perfect idle you need to break out a multi-meter and feeler gauge. Follow the manual to set TPS position. However TPS position doesn't explain misfire. See service manual section - page: F2-152 and a few pages.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Elli

Post by Elli »

That voltometer technique is a touchy subject on MX6.com!
It's not the TPS, I've had failed TPS-s before and it's not like this. I'm gonna take absolute easiest way out first and run dry gas tomorrow.

I'm running an American DE disty with the HEI and coil setup.

Misses aside, the need to give it gas to sustain idle draws me to a fuel based inference. Shitty idle>no idle. It does sound like the ignition system could use some attention, and I will get to that this week.
Colt cams and bolt-ons
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

You should adjust the idle screw on top of the disty. Get a RPM gauge, don't use the tach on the dash, then screw the screw in and out till the RPM is at 650 (about 3 turns out). This adjustment as well as your timing is done with TEN and Gnd jumped in the diagnostics box. The RPM will go to 700 once you remove the jumper in the box (can use cotter pin to jump).
If the idle problem started after adding gas you may have crap in your fuel tank and your fuel filter is plugging up.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mx3_ryder

Post by mx3_ryder »

Idle screw is located on top of the throttle body not the distributor.
mazdaspeed23

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

if im not mistaken the screw on the TB isn't the idle that's the air control screw. idle screw is on the side of the TB where the accelerator cable is.
could be gas related the type of gas, I know if I use 89 in mine my car runs like a bag of rocks, starts and stalls has no power, once I put in 91 she runs like a charm.
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
1994 MX-3 GS Swapped ZE (Gone)
1996 Dodge Dakota Sport v8 Magnum
2007 Ford Fusion SE

WORK LOG: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=81232

My MX-3 is nothing without me, and i am nothing without my MX-3
mx3_ryder

Post by mx3_ryder »

mazdaspeed23 wrote:if im not mistaken the screw on the TB isn't the idle that's the air control screw. idle screw is on the side of the TB where the accelerator cable is.
could be gas related the type of gas, I know if I use 89 in mine my car runs like a bag of rocks, starts and stalls has no power, once I put in 91 she runs like a charm.
Well you are mistaken. You are referring to the throttle stop.
Screw on top of TB controls air flow which in turn controls idle so call it what you want idle/air control screw... Same difference
mazdaspeed23

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

yea I have used the screw on TB to help with idle, but I have never just used that screw to set idle. I've always jumped TEN & GND hooked up my tech meter on the coil or spark plug wire, set the idle with the throttle stop screw which is where you would want it to be when you let off the gas pedal. and I turned the air screw 1-2 turns I believe then pulled jumper out and works fine. but we all have our own ways.
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
2007 Ford Fusion SE

Elli

Post by Elli »

Well, she's wanting to hold idle more and more. Now it fights when it's choking instead of just giving up, so that's an improvement.

When she's running down the road she purrs like a cat, when she's sitting there she gags like a whore.

The other thing, I am running Colt N/A tri-flows... not that it changes anything (I think) but I didn't know if maybe I should try 91... the only thing that fucks with my thought on that is... it purred on 8 month old 87. Other than that all my mods are bolt on. Cold air, light flywheel, pheno spacers, pacesetters out the back. I have a new fuel filter and am suspecting that more and more, so I will change it this week.

I put half a bottle of Iso-HEET in it to try to burn up any water in the tank, seemed to help marginally. There was less than half a tank and I used half the bottle, more than enough. Smells good.

Can't be a plugged cat... don't have one :lol:
Colt cams and bolt-ons
mazdaspeed23

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

It could be fuel related have you checked fuel pressure? The only thing I can think of that would have to do with your cams would be timing. But like I said earlier if I put 89 in my ze I cant get any power out of her or keep her running, once I put 91 couldnt ask for a better ride.
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
2007 Ford Fusion SE

Elli

Post by Elli »

I will try that. If I pay 10 more cents a gallon then so be it.

Also, any dynos or drags with your ZE?
Colt cams and bolt-ons
mazdaspeed23

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

No dynos yet. I have done a couple drags about 3 years ago. Havent had the option to be able to go to drags. Not sure the times, but ive dragged against a H22 honda prelude, 73 corvette sting ray. Smacked the h22, the corvette was a tie.
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
2007 Ford Fusion SE

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”