MagaSquirt n/a users

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
Thefez
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

MagaSquirt n/a users

Post by Thefez »

So what i was wondering is how many of you guys are running ms on a n/a cars? Gains? Dyno runs? Any issues you've run into? Basic advice im looking for, ive read a bit just wanting some user review

Ive just purchased a plug and play MS unit no the one stratifys sells. A build your own one with a adaptor harness, it comes with everything to go with a coilpack set up.
kulluminati777

Re: MagaSquirt n/a users

Post by kulluminati777 »

Im wondering this as well. I seen a few members get these ecu´s and I cant warrant a purchase or see the hoopla for spending 500usd for maybe 10 ponies.
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I design, build, test, and calibrate engine packages for my university's FSAE team.

I can tell you without any doubt that if you have performed any significant modifications to your car WITHOUT engine management, you've definitely not been getting your bang for your buck.

Management unlocks all the potential of the modifications you've performed. In lots of applications, cheap Ebay intakes or exhausts can actually net you a loss in power.

The down side is, none of you have the equipment to properly calibrate it, so you can buy a $500 ECU, but then need to spend $500 for a baseline tune, or thousands for a good one.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
spada

Post by spada »

Why spend money for a tune????
I spent $155 for my megasquirt, built it myself, then used narrowband oxygen sensors to tune it, from scratch, fuel and spark, because I was the ONLY N/A megasquirted Probe in the world.

Then I bring it to the dyno, and I find that my air fuel ratio is almost exactly 13.0 all the way across during WOT, which is what I was shooting for. It was at 12.7, so I made a quick adjustment, and got it to pin 13.0:1 A/F after 4500rpm. I wasn't too concerned with under 4500, but I eventually made those changes too.

I had a higher WHP number after I retarded the timing another degree down to 27, but I can't find that file. It was 183.7WHP. Ignore the graph below 3500rpm, you can see where I floored it right before 3500rpm by the dip in the AF for acceleration enrichment.
Here's the video too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x313MbnQUBA

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Oh dear.

Calibration engineering is a big deal. :|

To me, there is a big difference between what you've done, and a good tune. You have a baseline tune.

Your A/F dip for tip in... in a good tune that won't be there. Your goal for a consistent A/F per RPM at WOT is not a good idea. Ideally you'd be testing a small range of A/F at each RPM point to see what your least-lean-best-torque number is. In many cases having the incorrect AFR will harm your power much more significantly than incorrect spark advance.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
spada

Post by spada »

That dip happened because I went from no load, cruising on the dyno in a closed loop, then mashing the gas pedal. He just so happened to be recording torque before I floored it.
That dip was real quick and it's almost needed or you'd feel a buck. And I had the torque numbers at 12.7:1, 13.0:1, and 13.3:1. 13.0:1 wins every time with that motor. Now Ryan, I challenge you to find someone else with that much power on a stock ZE with intake and exhaust mods. Oh, and that was on 87 octane, so m timing was retarded by 2 degrees to 27btdc instead of my usual 29 degrees.

I'm not saying that tune was perfect, but I don't think you'd find a better tune by anyone else. Thats why my tune was used in all of the megasquirts built for n/a cars. You can take any megasquirt built for a K series engine, and I'll show you how it's similar to the map I made back in 2004.

Hell, I gave a ride to the main code writer for megasquirt from England, and he said it was the smoothest and most responsive car he's ever ridden in controlled by megasquirt.
K, I'm done.

Maybe one day I'll share my tune for the K8. I need a wideband to confirm a couple things first though.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

If you don't trust me, talk to a legit calibration engineer.

Your understanding of the process is vague at best and you're somehow finding confidence through limited understanding.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
spada

Post by spada »

That's fine, I never claimed to be a calibration engineer. I claim to have made 10 more horsepower than a stock ecu could with the same mods. So stock ECU vs. my megasquirt tune.....the stock ECU loses.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Ryan wrote: I can tell you without any doubt that if you have performed any significant modifications to your car WITHOUT engine management, you've definitely not been getting your bang for your buck.

Management unlocks all the potential of the modifications you've performed. In lots of applications, cheap Ebay intakes or exhausts can actually net you a loss in power. (without management)

That was exactly my point in the first place.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

So... Who's is longer? :lol:

Sorry guys, it was just nice seeing this happen from the outside for once. :lol:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”