Magnetic Oil Drain Plug Size

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug Size

Post by Mooneggs »

Tried searching but could not find the size and pitch of the oil drain plug for a KL-ZE. I want to upgrade to the magnetic version to see how much metal shavings I have floating around... I poked around online and it looks like it might be M14 x 1.5p but can anyone confirm if that is correct or not? And if anyone is using these, do they have any feedback if there is a better brand or are they all pretty much the same?
mx3_ryder
antispam: No

Re: Magnetic Oil Drain Plug Size

Post by mx3_ryder »

It sure is... M14 x 1.5 thread.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Sweet thanks for replying! Hopefully it helps others out in the future... I went with the Mishimoto brand... kind of pricey but it looked like it was better quality than some of the others and maybe has a better magnet... :freak:
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

I had one on my MX6. Ebay brand. It was working pretty good I guess. Every oil change there was black crude (microscopic fragments maybe) on the tip. I would clean it off and use it again. The magnet was pretty powerful too. I always had a hard time draining the oil and keeping a grip on the plug but it would always slip out my hand and grab onto the pan every time. I should get on for the MX3.. :shrug:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I don't want to know what's floating around. Ignorance is bliss. I drive around completely indifferent and I'm happy. Let the filter do it's job I say. .....

Gee dust on my stereo deck,,,,need to take care of that. :roll:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
DeadMaker

Post by DeadMaker »

Daninski wrote:I don't want to know what's floating around. Ignorance is bliss. I drive around completely indifferent and I'm happy. Let the filter do it's job I say. .....

Gee dust on my stereo deck,,,,need to take care of that. :roll:
+1
As long as the car shows no problem there is no point for digging around..
Ignorance is bliss :lol:
Black Mazda Mx3 Rs 1997 B6DE
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

hah, I like the idea of the plug not falling into the oil more than anything.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
mx3_ryder

Post by mx3_ryder »

Lots of vehicles have them installed from factory like my Silverado. Both my fourwheelers and snowmachine have them also.

Sure the filter should do its job, but it will help keep ferrous metals from making their way through the oil pump.

Peace of mind... :wink:
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I would say in race cars, off road or if you track your car lot then a mag plug may be a good idea. Applications where your stressing the engine on a regular basis then ya. The mag plug along with possible oil analysis could detect little problems before they become big ones. Now only if they made a mag plug for people so we could detect when stress is about to set us off. Hmm now where to 'install' that plug. :lol: :oops:

So anyway, in true MX3 fashion I/we've hijacked another thread. Apologies Mark.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Daninski wrote:I would say in race cars, off road or if you track your car lot then a mag plug may be a good idea. Applications where your stressing the engine on a regular basis then ya. The mag plug along with possible oil analysis could detect little problems before they become big ones. Now only if they made a mag plug for people so we could detect when stress is about to set us off. Hmm now where to 'install' that plug. :lol: :oops:

So anyway, in true MX3 fashion I/we've hijacked another thread. Apologies Mark.

hahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

If your goal is to stop ferrous metals from floating around in the system, a larger and more powerful magnet should be in order...

If your goal is to see the size/amount of particles floating around, or to test the quality and effect of the oil you are using(as many of us have done previously), then a drain plug magnet would be a fantastic idea.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
mx3_ryder

Post by mx3_ryder »

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”