KLG4 SWAP GUIDE FOR 1996 MX-3?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Sagittia
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

KLG4 SWAP GUIDE FOR 1996 MX-3?

Post by Sagittia »

Hi community! Not sure if this question is in the appropriate section, however, I own a no rust, near mint 1996 MX-3, and knowing that the car is ODB ii, I am curious what would need to be done to swap a KLG4 from a 2002 626 into my car.. I did look around the forums, but mainly found people doing a ODB ii conversion to a ODB i MX-3...

quick questions would be:
- Would I need the wiring harness from the KLG4 and the ECU, or could I use the existing harness the MX-3 had and plug in the 626 ECU?
- Is there a guide or write up for a KLG4 swap into a ODB ii MX-3 somewhere?
- What are some pitfalls to be aware of when approching this swap?

I have spoken to a gent in Calgary recently about a KLG4 for 240$... he is moving to BC, and I might drive down from Dawson Creek to buy it.. but figured before hand, its best to ask questions first, and source an engine later :)

Thanks in advance for any info about these questions..
crazycanadian

Re: KLG4 SWAP GUIDE FOR 1996 MX-3?

Post by crazycanadian »

Sagittia wrote:Hi community! Not sure if this question is in the appropriate section, however, I own a no rust, near mint 1996 MX-3, and knowing that the car is ODB ii, I am curious what would need to be done to swap a KLG4 from a 2002 626 into my car.. I did look around the forums, but mainly found people doing a ODB ii conversion to a ODB i MX-3...

quick questions would be:
- Would I need the wiring harness from the KLG4 and the ECU, or could I use the existing harness the MX-3 had and plug in the 626 ECU?
- Is there a guide or write up for a KLG4 swap into a ODB ii MX-3 somewhere?
- What are some pitfalls to be aware of when approching this swap?

I have spoken to a gent in Calgary recently about a KLG4 for 240$... he is moving to BC, and I might drive down from Dawson Creek to buy it.. but figured before hand, its best to ask questions first, and source an engine later :)

Thanks in advance for any info about these questions..
There is no guide when it comes to the electrical/ecu work thats involved... AFAIK, I am the only person with a stock KLG4 swapped in my 323, using the stock KLG4 ECU...

Couple people have worked at converting a KLDE to run on KLG4 wiring/ecu's... But once again there isn't much of a guide...

Installing the motor its self is the same as installing a KLDE/ZE, there are no suprises there... The KLG4 intake is shaped much like a straight neck ZE but its a little shorter giving you a little bit of room for your intake to clear the master cylinder...

The electrical is a whole other ball game... The KLG4 uses a very unique computer/wiring set up.. You need to make sure you have everything..

- The complete engine wiring harness.. There are 2 main parts you need, you have to get the 2 main parts from the same car because there are differences between the harnesses between different years and they don't plug and play... The first part is the main engine bay harness, the second part plugs into the main harness and goes down behind the motor to the egr valve and stuff at the back of the motor.. You don't need the KLG4 fuse boxes, you can reuse your stock fuse boxes...

- The KLG4 ECU, you need to get the numbers off the ecu and do a little research before installing it.. Some KLG4 cars have a factory passive anti theft system.. You need an ECU that does not have a factory anti theft system... You will not be able to get the car started if it has the anti theft system programmed.. The only way at this time that I know how to get around it would be to use the entire anti theft system including keys/fobs from the same donnor vehicle as you got the ecu from..

- You have to get the KLG4 as complete as possible, with all of its sensors/electronics.. So coil packs, throttle body, crank pully ect...Non of this stuff interchanges with KLDE/K8 ect stuff...

- Trouble codes/check engine light... The KLG4 5 speed ecus are hard to come by.. The swap runs fine using an Auto transmission ecu on a 5 speed car, but I don't know of any way to get rid of the codes it sets.. Also the emissions control stuff is much more indepth then what your mx3 has installed.. You don't need it all hoked up to run fine, but it will throw trouble codes that you wont be able to get rid of with out extra work...

- I might make this swap out to sound hard, but if you can read a wiring diagram, can figure out a bit of wiring its not to hard to make it run and drive good.. Most of the wiring work involves, getting the cooling fans to work, the fuel pump, your gauges and getting power/ground supplied to the right wires on the KLG4 engine harness..

- You will be the first person I know of who to attempt it using an OBD2 mx3.. I used an OBD1 mx3 body harness for the swap in my 323... You can check out my build thread.. I have a bunch of info posted on it..
[LVPA]93GsSe

Post by [LVPA]93GsSe »

If you get in to this project, please, note take as much as you can, for the rest of us. I have contemplated this and wopuld be great to have any more info I can.
Knowing you've spent too much on your car,
yet, you still want to keep modding. -priceless
^
|
boosted_bullet

93 Honda Accord LX - Wrecked
95 Honda Del Sol Si - Stolen
92 Honda Accord EX - Parted out
2000 Toyota Celica GTS - Cracked block and broken differential teeth
93 SE - ATX to MTX, work as always in progress
01 Toyota Celica GTS - DD

Worklog to be up soon, still... ...
Sagittia

Post by Sagittia »

Thanks for the info and a heads up! Sounds like I will wash the motor in Calgary, and just find a complete 98+ 626 to rip down and ensure I have everything. Thanks for taking the time to type this info out for me with the pitfalls, and yes, I will document my progress as I attempt this. Reading a wire diagram can be overwhelming, however, I feel I should be savvy enough to get through it.. should be straight forward once all the main stuff if hooked up.. perhaps some splicing here and there..

Anyways, thanks for the confidence! Great site and glad to become part of it.
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Sagittia wrote:Thanks for the info and a heads up! Sounds like I will wash the motor in Calgary, and just find a complete 98+ 626 to rip down and ensure I have everything. Thanks for taking the time to type this info out for me with the pitfalls, and yes, I will document my progress as I attempt this. Reading a wire diagram can be overwhelming, however, I feel I should be savvy enough to get through it.. should be straight forward once all the main stuff if hooked up.. perhaps some splicing here and there..

Anyways, thanks for the confidence! Great site and glad to become part of it.
If its a good motor complete with all the sensors and stuff attached to it, then its worth while getting the motor.. Then you can get the complete harness/ecu from a different car...

The sensors between all the different years of KLG4's all interchange... Its just the engine harness routes some of the wires differently and has a different set of plugs the 2 parts of the harness connect...

The ecu can be from any year as far as I have been able to tell.. The biggest problem is just the factory anti theft...

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”