MrMazda92's '92 GS - New daily

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
[LVPA]93GsSe
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS - Hunting for a KL

Post by [LVPA]93GsSe »

Damn, I wish I could help ya out I see the milli engines and G4's on a regular basis at my pick and pull. :crying:
Knowing you've spent too much on your car,
yet, you still want to keep modding. -priceless
^
|
boosted_bullet

93 Honda Accord LX - Wrecked
95 Honda Del Sol Si - Stolen
92 Honda Accord EX - Parted out
2000 Toyota Celica GTS - Cracked block and broken differential teeth
93 SE - ATX to MTX, work as always in progress
01 Toyota Celica GTS - DD

Worklog to be up soon, still... ...
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

I just found a low mileage complete G4 for $100.

It's close enough to haul, even. :lol: That leaves enough money in my hands to drop in some Colt regrinds before I stuff it in the car. :lol:

Here we go, people!
mx3_ryder

Post by mx3_ryder »

MrMazda92 wrote:I just found a low mileage complete G4 for $100.

It's close enough to haul, even. :lol: That leaves enough money in my hands to drop in some Colt regrinds before I stuff it in the car. :lol:

Here we go, people!
Holy chump change!! Can't beat that... 8)
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Definitely not, and I am schedule to pick it up this week after the meet! :D

Tonight I am suffering from heat related insomnia... It's too damned warm in my house. :(

So, like any living breathing gearhead... I am working on one of my many projects. :wink: Tonight will be spent hand polishing and modifying a straightneck KL intake manifold. Aesthetically speaking, it is nearly complete...

As my KL project is finally coming together, it is almost time to unveil the fruits of my labors these past few months. Just because I didn't have a block to work with, doesn't mean I didn't put long hours into the project... The day I torque the last bolt on that engine down, I will be posting one hell of an update.
[LVPA]93GsSe

Post by [LVPA]93GsSe »

Great find man, I can pick them for just a little more then that.
^
|
boosted_bullet

MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

This weekend's meet was really good!! Unfortunately I did have to leave early, but we went for a nice drive with the group before heading out, and did manage to be a part of the photography fun!

Leaving early did have it's benefits, mainly the purchase of a complete KLG4 - From oilpan to throttle-body, with coilpacks/36-1 triggerwheel/cam-sensor, and more. Nabbed a few O2 sensors, the parts of the harness not native to an MX-3, and a massive KL flywheel :lol:

While attending the meet, I did also pick up these beauties from MoonEggs:
ImageImageImageImageImage

It looks like this beast will be back on the road this year, afterall, and with some new goodies.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS - G4 FOUND

Post by MrMazda92 »

I am finally starting to have some good luck when it comes to this car...

After removing all of the accessories from my new G4, I pulled the timing belt covers. As it turns out, the engine has a brand new water pump and timing kit installed... The belt is a gates, even. :freak:

The heads are a light honey in color, and I am thrilled to say that this engine hasn't seen the mileage I was told that it had. :D

Either way, the bottom end is going out for machining this week, and I am debating whether or not to do part of the head work myself. Both the intake and exhaust valves will be back cut, and the exhaust valves will have the stem narrowed by around 1mm. Valve guides will have a reduced profile on both intake and exhaust sides as well.

I'm still trying to put together an exact plan for what to do with the intake ports, and am eyeballing various builds from ProbeTalk, as well as playing with an extra set of heads I have laying around, trying to find the most effective shape for the ports.

This will be a time consuming project, but I waited for years to even get a worthwhile core engine, so what's a few more months of planning? :welder:
[LVPA]93GsSe

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS - Machine shop bound

Post by [LVPA]93GsSe »

Nice find. :2thumbsup:
^
|
boosted_bullet

MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Heads are going in tomorrow for resurfacing and a very thorough cleaning.

The block will be going in next, for the minimum overbore that will correct the shallow gouging in 2 of the cylinder walls.

After I get the heads back, I intend to reduce the profile of the valve guides, and deshroud the valves as best I can. I have already begun to work on the intake manifold, but am undecided as to how far I will actually take that particular porting work. The neck is my initial target, as I won't be needing to modify anything to supplement those changes. :freak:

65mm TB en route, as well.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

It's official, I have a proper 65mm Throttle-body en route to my house. :welder:

Horsepower doesn't come for free, but to those patient enough, it can come on a budget. :freak:

All things considered, I think my build will be a few hundred under budget, thanks to my patience in parts acquisition!
$100 KLG4 (+ $50 fuel costs)
$400-700 Machining costs
- Resurfaced Head/Block mating surfaces
- SLAs reshimmed for aftermarket cams
- Cylinder bore correction + new replacement pistons
- Rings/bearings
- Balanced rotating assembly
$200-300 Aftermarket Cams
$40 Unorthodox UDP(modified w/ 36-1 trigger wheel)
$0 Coilpacks(Came with G4)
$60 Oversized Throttle-body(65mm)
$85 Timing Kit(Gates)
$45 Waterpump(Beck/Arnley)
$0 MLS Headgaskets
($125)Add on misc. costs of oil/coolant, gasket sealant, a few sensors here and there, and my ~$75 in powdercoating costs, let's say $125 to be safe.

Total: $1055-1455 for a basically brand new, reliable KL engine that should push 200 WHP.

I do have MegaSquirt, which cost me ~$6xx, about the only thing that I didn't patiently wait to pick up on a budget. I paid up front for the convenience of a known working, fully supported, plug and play ECU.

As I will be dyno tuning it for free, with a very experienced tuner(family), I can happily say that my budget has been met. :lol:
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

The mega squirt isn't plug and play for a KLG4 motor and wiring harness set up?? So you are doing some wiring work then?
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Can't he just use the k8 harness on the KLG4, then run a tune for a DE with maf delete and coil packs?
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

RobMinhas wrote:Can't he just use the k8 harness on the KLG4, then run a tune for a DE with maf delete and coil packs?
This pretty much nails it, but I would hardly call it a DE tune. :freak:

I'll be running 91/92 octane, and a bit of advance. 7,500 rev limit planned.
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

strange I dont see a price for a new timing belt tensioner on your list... Also I would probably recommend going with fresh HLAs when you do your build rather than SLAs from what Ive learned between my shop and recommendations from a certain shop in Jamestown these motors work best with them even cammed.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I built my own manual timing tensioner, styled after the King6 design. :welder: Cost was about 9% of theirs, and it comes in black. :lol:

SLAs aren't for everybody, but they are a staple for my future plans with this engine.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”