idle problem

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
petiec

idle problem

Post by petiec »

i have a 95 mx3 4cyl. the problem im having is when i am approchimg a light i put it into nuetral and the rpm goes all the way down to 300 for a second or two then slowly goes up to about 850 to 900. this happens about 50 percent of the time. I replaced the distributor, pvc valve, checked the timing and found no leaks in hosesalso replaced TPS sensor. Does any one have any suggestions on what the problem can be? would very much appreciate it.
wednesdayslatest
antispam: No

Re: idle problem

Post by wednesdayslatest »

really im not too sure.

i just did the alternator mod 90amp to 110 amp and i STILL get idle drops like that. eventually i just turned up my air intake (the screw on the intake) it would go from idle at 1.5 on normal and 1.0 on low instead of under 1 on low.

next day or two my car is dead

i believe the tps sensor is only really for the rpm gauge to read im not sure if it actually effect the throttle so much (mine was jumping around like crazy i think it was because of that)

i noticed on mine the throttle cable was loose so i tightened it. (i bet you checked that already)

check the disty you can adjust it a little (loosen the two bolts and tap it with a wrench one way or the other to speed up or slow down the speed of it) [at least for my car you might have a different disty then me. if thats the case then i have no idea]

vacuums/intake making sure there are no leaks (which you already did)
someone said somthing about checking to make sure the coolant is full
make sure there is enough gas was also mentioned
you might want to try some fuel injector cleaner and or octane booster (you dont have to but it does make it drive a lot nicer)
maybe somthing to do with the MAF/VAF? (someone had an issue with the disty[not idle issues] and replacing the vaf/maf fixed his problem)

specifically i have no idea but thos are things that i would check first
if anyone else got advice im all ears because im wondering for myself as well
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
95 Chrysler Concorde (Junked my first car [still ran])
90 Nissan Stanza (Junked [wouldnt start one day])
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
94 Toyota Camry (mothers old car fixed it then broke it[dont ask] Junked)
93 MX-3 RS (My project for 3 years so far)
97 Honda Civshit (Beater/Stereotypical POS Honda im fixing)
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

You don't simply replace TPS sensor, it has to be at certain point. You have to adjust it, read online manual for that.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
wednesdayslatest

mitmaks wrote:You don't simply replace TPS sensor, it has to be at certain point. You have to adjust it, read online manual for that.
so you CAN adjust that. well my only question is. can i adjust it while the car is running? i see where it adjusts. and if i can adjust it while its running is the only way to tell how its adjusted is by looking at the rpm gauge? i took mine apart to look at the internals it looks very simple (at least mine does not sure if there are other kind of TPS)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270986478481?ss ... 1423.l2649

that is the one that i have i had to pull it out a 2nd time to get the part number off it
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
wednesdayslatest

ahh nice when i got the throttle body it came with a different TPS (the other one with 4 pins) wasnt sure if id be able to use it (probably not) but at least its nice to know what it does, thanks
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

wednesdayslatest wrote: i just did the alternator mod 90amp to 110 amp and i STILL get idle drops like that. eventually i just turned up my air intake (the screw on the intake) it would go from idle at 1.5 on normal and 1.0 on low instead of under 1 on low.

Sounds like the ACC wire isn't hooked up properly.
wednesdayslatest wrote: i believe the tps sensor is only really for the rpm gauge to read im not sure if it actually effect the throttle so much (mine was jumping around like crazy i think it was because of that)
Sorry man, but that's just pure guesswork. If you want to help, please don't if you're guessing.

The TPS is the Throttle Position Sensor and has NOTHING to do with the tachometer (aka RPM gauge). It tells the ECM the position of the throttle....

The Tach gets is signal directly from the distributor.
wednesdayslatest wrote: i noticed on mine the throttle cable was loose so i tightened it. (i bet you checked that already)[/quote[

Sorry man, a loose throttle cable will not affect the idle. If it was too tight, ya, but when it's loose (or even not even there), the butterfly rests on the set screw, like it's suppose to, thanks to the spring. If you want to adjust the idle, you need to adjust the set screw (and while in diagnostics mode)
wednesdayslatest wrote: check the disty you can adjust it a little (loosen the two bolts and tap it with a wrench one way or the other to speed up or slow down the speed of it) [at least for my car you might have a different disty then me. if thats the case then i have no idea]
It doesn't adjust the speed at all, but the timing. By twisting the distributor, your either advancing or retarding the timing.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
wednesdayslatest

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
wednesdayslatest wrote: i just did the alternator mod 90amp to 110 amp and i STILL get idle drops like that. eventually i just turned up my air intake (the screw on the intake) it would go from idle at 1.5 on normal and 1.0 on low instead of under 1 on low.

Sounds like the ACC wire isn't hooked up properly.
wednesdayslatest wrote: i believe the tps sensor is only really for the rpm gauge to read im not sure if it actually effect the throttle so much (mine was jumping around like crazy i think it was because of that)
Sorry man, but that's just pure guesswork. If you want to help, please don't if you're guessing.

The TPS is the Throttle Position Sensor and has NOTHING to do with the tachometer (aka RPM gauge). It tells the ECM the position of the throttle....

The Tach gets is signal directly from the distributor.
wednesdayslatest wrote: i noticed on mine the throttle cable was loose so i tightened it. (i bet you checked that already)[/quote[

Sorry man, a loose throttle cable will not affect the idle. If it was too tight, ya, but when it's loose (or even not even there), the butterfly rests on the set screw, like it's suppose to, thanks to the spring. If you want to adjust the idle, you need to adjust the set screw (and while in diagnostics mode)
wednesdayslatest wrote: check the disty you can adjust it a little (loosen the two bolts and tap it with a wrench one way or the other to speed up or slow down the speed of it) [at least for my car you might have a different disty then me. if thats the case then i have no idea]
It doesn't adjust the speed at all, but the timing. By twisting the distributor, your either advancing or retarding the timing.

acc wire?
whats that and where?
well i don't mean to mislead you but alternator is not the problem it has to be with the disty.
The fact you mentioned the tach gets the rpm from the disty makes me believe more that i need to replace my disty since it wont start
sadly i fear i'm going to have a repeat problem, i want to bypass the disty so bad to avoid this ignition coil from dying again but no luck

the set screw you are talking about is that on the throttle body that makes the intake suck in more air?
diagnostic mode i saw a mention of that, but i'm not sure what it is.

so advancing or retarding the timing will give me what effect exactly? i mean doesnt the intake/tps/disty all need to be adjusted a certain way for it to idle correctly or give more power when you accellerate?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”