HELP!!! clutch switch is causing erratic idle.

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
seawulff
antispam: No

HELP!!! clutch switch is causing erratic idle.

Post by seawulff »

so i have been messing with this motor for 2 weeks now. had a mechanic friend over and he was even blown away. its a 94 mazda mx3 1.6l dohc manual trans car and this is what i have figured out so far.

it doesnt throw any codes for the problem so that makes it a pain. once the car warms up and goes into closed loop, it has a problem idling. couldnt drive it without it being in open loop. now i have tried replacing the TPS, Mass Air Flow, blocking off the egr, cleaning the idle air control valve, blocking off the idle air control, spraying starter fluid all over. NOTHING. this is the new thing i found and im like WTF!!!

it was doing this weird idle drop when i pushed in the clutch (very strange) so i disconnected the electric clutch switch that is inner connected to the neutral safety switch and the problem all but went away. so it still has a problem idling and searches for idle but you can actually drive it without any issue in closed loop while the clutch switch is out. every time you pull up to a stop light however, it drops and raises rpms and searches for idle for a moment then levels out.
wednesdayslatest
antispam: No

Re: HELP!!! clutch switch is causing erratic idle.

Post by wednesdayslatest »

i have a 93 rs sohc and strangely enough i have a similiar problem with the idle.

the clutch part that alters the idle i dont have that issue i could only assume something powered on taking power when you did that.

ive also got issues with my reverse lights now AGAIN with the neutral safety switch but im not trying to get into that now.

i just upgraded my alternator from 90 amp to 110 amp i probably wont FIX the problem but it might help it

im curious to know how this is gonna turn out

(someone on another thread said check the coolant level but i doubt thats it)
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
95 Chrysler Concorde (Junked my first car [still ran])
90 Nissan Stanza (Junked [wouldnt start one day])
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
94 Toyota Camry (mothers old car fixed it then broke it[dont ask] Junked)
93 MX-3 RS (My project for 3 years so far)
97 Honda Civshit (Beater/Stereotypical POS Honda im fixing)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: HELP!!! clutch switch is causing erratic idle.

Post by Daninski »

When you replaced the TPS did you spend time adjusting it. Takes me 20 + minutes to adjust one and I've done it half a dozen times or more. You need to be spot on with it before you start looking else where. Good Luck
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”