Sluggish response on windows and Sun roof

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
benyandthejets
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Sluggish response on windows and Sun roof

Post by benyandthejets »

I think the problem is it needs a some lubrication. What would be a good product to use?
I'm fairly sure the motors are still good as it does work, just a little slowly.
93 Blaze Red GS
mx3_ryder
antispam: No

Re: Sluggish response on windows and Sun roof

Post by mx3_ryder »

Curious myself as I have the same problem?
clunet

Post by clunet »

I had the same thing on my 93 GS, the switch contacts need to be cleaned. I cleaned mine with electric contact cleaner... spray it in the switch and move it back and forth. Do this a few times to each switch and you should see an improvement!

Tim
benyandthejets

Post by benyandthejets »

clunet wrote:I had the same thing on my 93 GS, the switch contacts need to be cleaned. I cleaned mine with electric contact cleaner... spray it in the switch and move it back and forth. Do this a few times to each switch and you should see an improvement!

Tim
Interesting, I'll give that a try. However, if the switch is working, then its working right? I was thinking it was the rails/movement parts
93 Blaze Red GS
clunet

Post by clunet »

Takes quite a bit of current to drive the motors in the doors and roof. If the contacts in the switches get dirty and have carbon built up on their contacts over time they can not pass the current needed to drive the motors properly. The contact cleaner will dissolve the built up carbon/dirt on the contacts. If you feel really brave, taking the switches apart and lubing them with contact paste will fix them up like new, but the switches are not easy to disassemble and reassemble so I just sprayed the contact cleaner in them and moved them a lot to clean them the best I could with the switch still intact...

The tracks for the window glass and the geared mechanisms that drive the glass can get gummed up as well with dirt and hardened grease... you could shoot them with some lithium grease as part of your rehab process...

Tim
benyandthejets

Post by benyandthejets »

clunet wrote:Takes quite a bit of current to drive the motors in the doors and roof. If the contacts in the switches get dirty and have carbon built up on their contacts over time they can not pass the current needed to drive the motors properly. The contact cleaner will dissolve the built up carbon/dirt on the contacts. If you feel really brave, taking the switches apart and lubing them with contact paste will fix them up like new, but the switches are not easy to disassemble and reassemble so I just sprayed the contact cleaner in them and moved them a lot to clean them the best I could with the switch still intact...

The tracks for the window glass and the geared mechanisms that drive the glass can get gummed up as well with dirt and hardened grease... you could shoot them with some lithium grease as part of your rehab process...

Tim
Thanks for taking the time to explain! I will give the contact cleaner a shot for starters to see if that fixes it.
Cheers
93 Blaze Red GS
davmac

Post by davmac »

You can buy silicone spray to lube the rubber window tracks.
Lithium grease will work on the cable that drives the sunroof.

There is some truth that the window switches can get dirty and will not carry enough current to drive the window motor. However, I had no luck just spraying contact cleaner at the assembled switch. I had to take the sucker apart (very delicate) to clean up the contacts enough to make a difference. You might get lucky by just spraying the switch with contact cleaner. If it works, then good for you.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
clunet

Post by clunet »

Very true on just spraying the switches... it is critical to move them back and forth a few times after the spray has a chance to break down the carbon/dirt, and also to do it more than once... I think I did mine 3-4 time over a few hours.
benyandthejets

Post by benyandthejets »

Just in case anyone was curious: I put lithium grease on the sunroof rails(left and right channels next to the big gap). Seems to be running pretty smooth now, although probably 50% of the time it will stop right before it closes and I have to move it out and back into close it fully. It was doing that before I put any grease on it though. But besides that super smooth now.
93 Blaze Red GS

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”