'95 MX3 GS Radiator Fluid Leak

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
aPROxSLASHER
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

'95 MX3 GS Radiator Fluid Leak

Post by aPROxSLASHER »

My apologies if this is the wrong section, I'm new to this site. :)

I just bought a 1995 MX3 GS (1.8L V6) and among a couple problems is leaking radiator fluid from the left front end by the rad and hoses. I've taken a few high school automotive courses but am far from a pro haha. Just wondering if anyone knows a thing or two and could give me a hand. I'm wondering if it's the hoses or the radiator itself. The fluid reservoir is on the far right side so I doubt that's my problem. If someone has a few tips so I can narrow down my problem it would be much appreciated :) I'm pretty sure it's radiator fluid but then again I could be wrong, I'm going off mainly what the previous owner said. I'm on a tight budget but I'm thinking of replacing the radiator with a new one, and have no clue what I'm looking for to fit perfectly and be the right type etc. Simply put... I'M CLUELESS LOL! Help? :)

Update: just took a further look with my buddy, looks like the top passenger corner of the radiator is the problem. Should I replace just the rad or the upper and lower hoses as well? And what kind should I be looking at...? Aha a quick good search confused me, so many choices! What is good and cheap?
mitmaks

Re: '95 MX3 GS Radiator Fluid Leak

Post by mitmaks »

Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
aPROxSLASHER

Post by aPROxSLASHER »

Thanks bud, any specific type I need to look for or should most hoses and rads be fairly similar provided they're meant for my ride?
Last edited by aPROxSLASHER on March 21st, 2013, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

You're looking for one that looks like OEM, so you won't have to cut it, etc. Gates is a good brand.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
aPROxSLASHER

Post by aPROxSLASHER »

Sounds good :)
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

I'd look over the hoses, see if they have any soft spots, dry rotted, kinked, etc. If they're in good condition I'd leave them alone. You can buy decent aftermarket radiator online for under $100.
aPROxSLASHER

Post by aPROxSLASHER »

Aftermarket, meaning not simply an oem replacement rad? I was considering getting one from a wrecker but I'm always afraid of used when it comes to mechanical things.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

I wouldn't use one from wreckers, never know if it has holes or is plugged up with gunk inside. Unless you really want to take that chance...better save your receipt.
aPROxSLASHER

Post by aPROxSLASHER »

Ya I was suggested to get one at a wrecker but that's not really a chance I'm down to take with my budget. If I gotta buy it I want to buy it only once haha
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Radiators.com They deliver to your door. Mines 5 years old and no problems at all. If you go through their web site they can even set up having it installed. Check them out.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
aPROxSLASHER

Post by aPROxSLASHER »

I'll check it out, thanks guys! Anyone suggest simply repairing the hole in the radiator if that's all there is?
davmac

Post by davmac »

In my experience the plastic radiator tank repair kits are a temporary solution. They may work for a short time and will definitely slow a leak down if it is a simple crack in one of the plastic tanks. VersaChem, Loctite, JB weld all offer a version of their epoxy that is supposed to seal the plastic radiator tank. The problem is the plastic used for the radiator tank is tough to stick to and the tank expands and contracts with heat. Use the epoxy repair to buy some time while you save money or wait for your new radiator to arrive, but don't expect permanent repair.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Spend $100 for radiator and be done with it.
aPROxSLASHER

Post by aPROxSLASHER »

I think my rad is metal. Not sure, I'll look deeper. And I'm waiting for a job before I insure it so I have time to fix it while it's sitting. I'll still look into a new radiator primarily then. Thanks for all the help :)
mx3_ryder
antispam: No

Post by mx3_ryder »

I have a good used oem radiator I could sell ya. Great shape, no leaks with fans and coolant bottle. :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”