B6 Dual Cam boost questions

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
MazdaMan1991
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

B6 Dual Cam boost questions

Post by MazdaMan1991 »

hey everyone im about to boost my b6 i have a vj14 with a usdm 323 gtx manifold and oem downpipe, im going to be running an mx6 gt intercooler (still gotta get piping), using a glowshift oil sending unit for the oil and a high heat high pressure T fitting for the coolant (just gonna tie in somewhere lol) but my question is what exactly else do i need? just to run on stock boost... im eventually going to get megasquirt and everything i need to control boost as well as possible...but for now im just going to retard the timing a couple degrees..but like i said what exactly else do i need? just wanna do it right the first time..
My Mazdas
2008 Mazda 3 FS auto - Totaled
1994 Mazda 626 KL 5 spd - sold
2002 Mazda Millenia S - sold
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS 5 spd - bp swapped
My Worklog/Build Thread
My YouTube Page
RobMinhas

Re: B6 Dual Cam boost questions

Post by RobMinhas »

Engine management? Or are you gonna try to run it with stock ecu? If your'e running a stock ecu I think an FPR might help you there. Upgraded injectors? You should consider a wideband since you'll be running off an aftermarket ECU. Have you got yourself a blowoff valve as well?
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
MazdaMan1991

Post by MazdaMan1991 »

forgot i do need a bov lol and i was gonna try out the mx6 gt injectors and until i buy megasquirt yes ill be running the stock ecu and whats an FPR? lol
My Mazdas
My Worklog/Build Thread
My YouTube Page
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

MazdaMan1991 wrote:whats an FPR? lol
Fuel Pressure Regulator

Me thinks you need to research before boosting.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
Me thinks you need to research before boosting.
+1 here, I did a lot of research before I even started amassing parts, then even more after starting to get parts.

At most your stock ecu will behave at 3 lbs of boost, and thats with the aid of the FPR. Anything higher and I doubt your car will run nicely at all. Source a b6t ecu if you want an in between-er ecu before you go MS or just stuff a bp in like everyone else and get a BPT ecu.

My guess is with the stock ecu your engine will run dangerously lean, which is very bad for your engine.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
MazdaMan1991

Post by MazdaMan1991 »

Yeah I know... Well maybe i can dig up a b6t ecu if not then megasquirt! Shall commence
My Mazdas
My Worklog/Build Thread
My YouTube Page
MazdaMan1991

Post by MazdaMan1991 »

should i just try and get b6t injectors, fpr, and ecu? that kind of seems like my best bet....
Last edited by MazdaMan1991 on February 15th, 2013, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Mazdas
My Worklog/Build Thread
My YouTube Page
MazdaMan1991

Post by MazdaMan1991 »

ok so things i need...
Turbo. check.
Manifold. check.
downpipe. check
intercooler. check.
piping...
bigger injectors...
an fpr for higher psi under boost....
ecu tuning...
turbo timer...
boost controller...

my buddy told me to run on essential basics before ecu tuning to just retard the timing to a certain degree... he said since the turbo isnt electronically controlled i will push 8.8 lbs (.6 bar).... which is what the stock wastegate is set to....
so im not quite sure of what to do.. lol
My Mazdas
My Worklog/Build Thread
My YouTube Page
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Upgraded fuel pump, upgraded clutch.

I still reccomend the wide band so you know how rich or lean you're running, doesn't hurt to pick up an oil pressure and boost gauge either.
MazdaMan1991

Post by MazdaMan1991 »

oh definetly the gauges lol and i already have a stage 2 clutch but i think i might be ok on the stock fuel pump...if anything F**ks up ill be ok i have a spare daily i can drive
My Mazdas
My Worklog/Build Thread
My YouTube Page
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Well I did my first setup similar to you. I ran a factory vj14 with a Probe IC and BOV, 310cc injectors and a boost sensitive FPR, and a walbro 255 fuel pump. I ran stock 95' ECU with 8 lbs of boost. If you have a A/F gauge you can get it dialed in pretty good WITHOUT an aftermarket ECU, as long as you have and adjustable boost sensitive FPR. I ran BP injectors and maxed out they were still too small, 460's are way way too big and almost uncontrollable at idle, you will end up gas washing your rings. I eventually swapped the engine bay harness out for the 92-93 and swapped to external coil, and BP10 ECU. the MSD was better for the idle and running a VAF instead of the MAF sensor of the 94-95 is easier, and you can tune them. I ran my setup for more than two years and was fabulous. I eventually went with a hybrid vj14/11 and was boosting at 15lbs... still on factory tuning and me going around the ecu adjusting the VAF and FPR, I had cams too but i ended up putting down like 232 WHP. You CAN do it without a stand alone but I would not recommend it unless you have some time and patience to dial everything in proper. I would recommend using a piggyback.

If you want to keep it simple I would recommend finding a SAFCII or some kind of piggyback and get yourself a GM 2 or 3 bar MAP sensor. By wiring in the map and installing the SAFC to the MAP vs the throttle position sensor as you would normally have to do with our cars, you will have a lot better tunability and drivability.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Edit: keep in mind that if you use an BOV to atmosphere on the stock system you will have an erratic idle, it will act like a vacuum leak. To keep it simple I would stick with an OEM BOV that routs inline. I have one sitting around from a probe if you want it LMK.
youdirtyfox
antispam: No

Post by youdirtyfox »

I shall be using a twin piston atmospheric dump valve, these are made for cars with an AFM/MAF as not to upset the idle, and they work. Stock fuel pump will be fine, boost gauge is essential really otherwise how you going to know what your boosting...
Turbo timer isn't really needed tbh, just run the car on idle for a few minutes before you shut down.
Last edited by youdirtyfox on February 18th, 2013, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MazdaMan1991

Post by MazdaMan1991 »

Picked up bp injecotrs and just got an hks sequential bov
My Mazdas
My Worklog/Build Thread
My YouTube Page
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

BP injectors are not enough, you need larger. 310 or 330 cc. you can get them from a 2.2 MX6 or B6T/BPT motor. I have both, I can sell you a set for cheep if you like. But the BP injectors will not be enough fuel. I maxed them out at 100% and retarded the timing and still could not get the car to stop pinging and running lean under boost from the VJ14.
MazdaMan1991

Post by MazdaMan1991 »

Hmmmmm alrighty I think they're bp I think they're blue top but i don't remember lol
My Mazdas
My Worklog/Build Thread
My YouTube Page

Return to “Forced Induction”