The Ultimate Guide to Suspension and Handling

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
wytbishop

The Ultimate Guide to Suspension and Handling

Post by wytbishop »

No...I am not going to try to write a suspension guide. But I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject nad came across this series of articles in Sport Compact Car magazine and have found them very interesting and insightful. A lot of the writing is intended for drifters but the basics of suspension setup and the affects of different variables is well done.

It is a series in 8 parts. They can all be found here...

http://www.motoiq.com/tech/the_ultimate ... 448/2.aspx
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: The Ultimate Guide to Suspension and Handling

Post by MrMazda92 »

Hell, just reading through the comments on the first section(wheels&tires) is bringing up topics I've never seen elsewhere!

Thank you for posting this.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

RCVD by Milliken. That is all.

I wouldn't trust a drifter about suspension setups.... drift is not racing. Drift is not fast.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

There is some really odd! stuff he talks about and some half decent stuff on there... So far I have only read threw part one... I all ready want to caution people about taking whats said there as pure fact... Some of whats being said is good, some of its a little out to left field...

In 6 years of autocross racing I have not seen a single use stretched tires to increase tire response...If anything squeezing over sized tires on smaller rims is MUCH more common.. This happens due to class restrictions on rim sizing, but people still trying to get as much rubber under their car as they can...

If you really want to get into suspension set up detail, here is a good link...

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets.html
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Ryan wrote:RCVD by Milliken. That is all.

I wouldn't trust a drifter about suspension setups.... drift is not racing. Drift is not fast.
You wouldn't have a used copy you'd sell me would you?
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I was also questioning the wisdom in telling people to er on the stretched side when selecting tires and wheels, but I did a bit more poking around. The concensus from what I'm reading is that slight stretching increases responsiveness from the tire but does sacrifice some mechanical traction.

It makes sense that a tire which is slightly stretched will be stiffer than a tire that is slightly bulging on a smaller rim. Great for time attack, not so great for the drive home.

I also particularly loved this article by the same guy. It seems to be part of the same series, but not...I"m not sure but it's very informative from an engineering perspective.

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles ... enter.aspx

It's not just about...your roll center should be this or this depending on this or that...it's understanding what the roll center is and how the roll moment works. How does body roll really affect the roll center and tire adhesion. I liked it.
My Worklog
My feedback thread

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”