GS or not?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
fairyangel

GS or not?

Post by fairyangel »

Just wondering...i saw a mx-3 the other day...and the owner told me that the mx-3 was a GS...but it doesn't say that on the back...or side fender...how do I tell if it really is a GS or not? How many other "type" of Mx-3 are there?...just wondering cux I am sorta new to the Mx scene....
~ Vrooom! Vrooom! See my tailights flashing...dissin' ya...dissin' ya! R U Ready? ~
David Coleman

Re: GS or not?

Post by David Coleman »

If it had a V6, it was a GS. If not, it was a base or RS, depending on country.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
fairyangel

Post by fairyangel »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shifty:<BR><STRONG>hello so your looking for a mx3 gs?<BR>some things to look for to tell its a gs is:<BR>is it a v6, power moon roof, and some have powerlocks not all,also in the door there should be a sticker with all the spec for the car. you can also run a V.I.N # check that will tell you how many onwers and if the car was ever hit. theres a another modle that called se it a special edition its basicly a gs with extra stuff :p <BR>what year and how much k/h or miles on it,and if you dont mined how much$.<P>ps if its the original paint look at the colour chart on this site. :cool:</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>the supposedly gs that I was looking at was at 84k and selling for 5gs. It does have the gs sticker on fender but someone told me it could easily be exchanged for another. Does it make a difference or all the parts basically the same? Thanks for all the tips! =)
~ Vrooom! Vrooom! See my tailights flashing...dissin' ya...dissin' ya! R U Ready? ~
Q187

Post by Q187 »

It matters a LOT. The GS is a V6 while the RS is an I-4. The GS is much faster and has some extra goodies. If you want to make sure it's a GS, check the engine and count the spark plugs. The GS would have 6.
Rich MX3

Post by Rich MX3 »

Best way to tell is open the hood and check the engine. It should say V6 on it along with 24 valves. Don't go by the V6 emblem because someone could of easily have bought a V6 emblem (they sell them on eBay) and stuck it on there to make it look like a V6 so don't look for that and also don't go by the spoiler either. GS's are supposed to have a spoiler while the RS doesn't but someone could of easily have bought a gs spoiler and put it on.
Richard Y.<BR>'94 Black GS<BR>Stock V6, minor mods
g3939

Post by g3939 »

a dead giveaway is the rear windshield wiper on the GS models.
harold stephens
Q187

Post by Q187 »

I still say count the spark plugs, that's the safest way to be absolutely sure it's a V6.
Sparky75

Post by Sparky75 »

I knew nothing about MX-3's when i got mine, and mine had no identifying stickers, i just saw the V6 under the bonnet (hood?) and said ITS MINE!! mines a Jap import which is rare here in UK. Especially as the MX-3 is a rare site anyway over here.<BR>I used to own a Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9 litre V6 and had to have another V6 car. Still miss that Sierra though.<BR>Dont think you will know what im on about as you may never have seen one, but one of the XR4x4's early relation would be a XR4Ti Which you may know of, but mine was 4 wheel drive also.<BR>Anyway you cant miss the V6 engine it fills the entire engine bay! look for 6 fat HT cables that feed the spark plugs you cant miss them. also you will need a new cam belt at 94k and you will be best to get it done if you get the car with its first service.
My MX-3 (Presso Eunos) 93 spec Right hand drive.<BR>Mods..<BR>Sullivan racing Alluminium Race Pedals.<BR>17x7" MB Molini Alloys with 215/40/17 tyres.<BR>Glass headlight/one smashed :(<BR>PRM Intake Kit.<BR>Front Strut Brace.<BR>Erebuni Bodykit & GTR Rear Spoiler on the way.
Shades

Post by Shades »

A GS here in good condition is rare here. I found that all the GS models here where driven into the ground. The engine sounded like crap and sometimes where were noises and burning smells... make sure you test drive it good. That's my 2 cents, and good luck!
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
avino

Post by avino »

shifty - "some things to look for to tell its a gs is: is it a v6, power moon roof, and some have powerlocks not all... "<P>I have a GS and i've got a V6 engine but no moonroof. I'm absolutely sure that mine is a GS. (although I really wish to have a moon roof, I don't have one).
Sparky75

Post by Sparky75 »

GS without moon roof, or sun roof, usually are kitted out with aircon instead.<BR>mine is.
My MX-3 (Presso Eunos) 93 spec Right hand drive.<BR>Mods..<BR>Sullivan racing Alluminium Race Pedals.<BR>17x7" MB Molini Alloys with 215/40/17 tyres.<BR>Glass headlight/one smashed :(<BR>PRM Intake Kit.<BR>Front Strut Brace.<BR>Erebuni Bodykit & GTR Rear Spoiler on the way.
nolimits

Post by nolimits »

I recently bought a 92 GS with 160,000 miles on it for $1000 Good deal ! I put vitek wires and a weapon-R dragon intake on it. I love it! A older owned it last she replaced the distributor and timing chain. They are great cars!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”