13B Rotory engine Engine Swap????

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
WestcoastSpeeder
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

13B Rotory engine Engine Swap????

Post by WestcoastSpeeder »

Is it possible to put a turbocharged 13B rotory engine ( coming from a 87 rx7) on a mx3?? Cause i love rotory engines but not so much the design of the rx7!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Evo_Spec

Re: 13B Rotory engine Engine Swap????

Post by Evo_Spec »

if you give a solid try searching for it, you'll find it.
Its been brought up multiple times, one guy actually did it but the interior (and exterior) looked horrible
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

……………………………………..________
………………………………,.-’”……………….“~.,
………………………..,.-”……………………………..”-.,
…………………….,/………………………………………..”:,
…………………,?………………………………………………\,
………………./…………………………………………………..,}
……………../………………………………………………,:`^`..}
……………/……………………………………………,:”………/
…………..?…..__…………………………………..:`………../
…………./__.(…..”~-,_…………………………,:`………./
………../(_….”~,_……..”~,_………………..,:`…….._/
……….{.._$;_……”=,_…….”-,_…….,.-~-,},.~”;/….}
………..((…..*~_…….”=-._……”;,,./`…./”…………../
…,,,___.\`~,……”~.,………………..`…..}…………../
…………(….`=-,,…….`……………………(……;_,,-”
…………/.`~,……`-………………………….\……/\
………….\`~.*-,……………………………….|,./…..\,__
,,_……….}.>-._\……………………………..|…………..`=~-,
…..`=~-,_\_……`\,……………………………\
……………….`=~-,,.\,………………………….\
…………………………..`:,,………………………`\…………..__
……………………………….`=-,……………….,%`>–==“
…………………………………._\……….._,-%…….`\
……………………………..,<`.._|_,-&“…………….`
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)
WestcoastSpeeder

haha ill take the facepalms as a no :lol:
Nevermind then

RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

WestcoastSpeeder wrote:haha ill take the facepalms as a no :lol:
Nevermind then
Oh its definitely possible, really anything is if you have enough money and fabrication skills.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
WestcoastSpeeder

well i dont have enough money or fabrication skills :lol: Oh well i just thought maby it was gonna be simple and a easy swap since theyre both mazdas but ill just have to wait till have enough for a the 3rd gen rx7!!

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

WestcoastSpeeder wrote:well i dont have enough money or fabrication skills :lol: Oh well i just thought maby it was gonna be simple and a easy swap since theyre both mazdas but ill just have to wait till have enough for a the 3rd gen rx7!!
Just cause they're Mazda's from the same era doesn't mean they're compatible. The Mx-3 is based off the 323/Protege Platform while the Rx-7's are each their own beast. No different than a Corvette and a Cobalt, a Neon and a Viper, a Golf and a Lamborghini. There's some shared systems concepts, like the TTL system in the Mx3 vs the DTSS in the Rx-7, but that's because of the advantage in the system and designed each their own; there's no common platform that they sit on. It's as much work putting in a Mazda 13B, as it would be a Nissan SR20, as it would be a Toyota 2JZ, and it would be a Chevy 350.

A non-Mazda-FWD-K-or-B-Series-motor requires significant custom parts. Converting a FWD car to RWD, any, is an even more complicated and custom project. Anything can fit into anything, given time, tools and money. Look at other projects, like the Corvette motor Civic or the 351 Focus, 20B Mazda3, the "Tofu Van" Toyota Previa I was watching yesterday, etc, etc...and it'll give you an idea on what's involved.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Just to be me.. that's what everyone said about converting the mx to AWD before I did it... Just sayin.

Look around there are conversion kits you can buy to mount the 13b to a toyota FWD trans. it is common in other parts of the world. From what I understand about it is that it is just a few inches long in the engine bay and does not clear the frame rail. Someone else mentioned issues with the exhaust, but really that is nothing too hard to fix if its true if you can fabricate a bit.

The only other Mazda that a 13B will bolt into without swapping bell housings and whatnot is a B2600 4x4 pickup.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Josh wrote:Just to be me.. that's what everyone said about converting the mx to AWD before I did it... Just sayin.
WestcoastSpeeder wrote:well i dont have enough money or fabrication skills
you obviously have fabrication skills josh so this doesn't really apply to you lol
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Josh wrote:Just to be me.. that's what everyone said about converting the mx to AWD before I did it... Just sayin.
Well there's a difference between a Mx-3 that shares 90% of it's chassis design on it's sister(323/Protege) car that was available in AWD, and swapping a drivetrain that had no compability at all.

If you want info, look at examples of "FWD to RWD" conversions. Here's an example:
Mustang V8 RWD Integra
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2820014

FWD Rotary:
http://www.maztra.nl/inbouw_Eng_1.html
http://www.rx7club.com/new-member-rx-7- ... wd-991551/
http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showth ... sion/page2

You can even look up tehbrookzorz converting his KLZE to RWD. Just the adapter plate was a project in itself without the proper tools.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=71687

People that are able and capable of such a project, don't have to ask. Not to be mean, but that's not it works. Doing the search on the net for any FWD to RWD conversion (in real life), the common consensus is that it's involved and expensive. Sure it's not impossible, but beyond mosts means...
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
Well there's a difference between a Mx-3 that shares 90% of it's chassis design on it's sister(323/Protege) car that was available in AWD, and swapping a drivetrain that had no compability at all.
more like 15-20%... the only thing that is the same is the trans/engine mount. all the rest is fabricated... lol

I was just saying it could be done and all you really need is a toyota trans, and adapter plate, and a few custom motor mounts and its all money :)

Truth is I think an AWD subi drivetrain with a 13BTT would make for a nice setup in an MX3 :) its on the ToDoWhenIHaveDisposableIncome list
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Josh wrote:more like 15-20%... the only thing that is the same is the trans/engine mount. all the rest is fabricated...
When I remember reading on it, I remember them bolting the AWD rear subframe to the Mx-3. I would say the real challenge in the fuel tank. I don't remember if the Mx-3's spare tire well was an issue.

You're still starting out 15-20% better chassis wise compared to a non-compatible swap. And you don't have to fabricate the adapter for the engine-trans, nor motor mounts, and front axles I take it too would be good. You don't have to modify the firewall and cabin to fit a RWD trans and special linkages since I'm sure an OEM setup still works.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Josh wrote:Truth is I think an AWD subi drivetrain with a 13BTT would make for a nice setup in an MX3 :) its on the ToDoWhenIHaveDisposableIncome list
If you do this, I'll start giving thanks to YOU on thanksgiving. :lol:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
Josh wrote:more like 15-20%... the only thing that is the same is the trans/engine mount. all the rest is fabricated...
When I remember reading on it, I remember them bolting the AWD rear subframe to the Mx-3. I would say the real challenge in the fuel tank. I don't remember if the Mx-3's spare tire well was an issue.

You're still starting out 15-20% better chassis wise compared to a non-compatible swap. And you don't have to fabricate the adapter for the engine-trans, nor motor mounts, and front axles I take it too would be good. You don't have to modify the firewall and cabin to fit a RWD trans and special linkages since I'm sure an OEM setup still works.
Who?.. ME? cause I did it. And there are only two others who have one did not finish his car and the other is not in america.

No the AWD rear sub frame is not bolt it at all... The only one that is is a custom tubular rear frame that was being produced for a short time on club protege. Which does not increase the rail strength in any way. I had 3 rear ends from diff models and none were bolt in. The spare tire well has to go as well, 2/3's of it are in the way. The fuel tank is easy and could fit, you just have to cut out the dual holes under the seat for both fuel pumps. Like i have said before only passenger and engine motor mounts work front and rear are completely fabricated. same with the engine cradle. you also have to modify the front sub frame to even get the trans to sit where it needs to. Plus the sub frame is in the way and has to be modified to make way for the drive shaft. Also its a custom drive shaft is needed. It also takes so much room that you dont have room for your exhaust. so in all reality the tunnel needs to be taller and wider. I got around this cause I was in a hurry and ran it just below the shaft off to the side. but 2.5" was as big as I could go. Axles are custom as well. the AWD trans uses a different spline, so I had to use the AWD trans side stubs on MX3 axles as MX3 has a wider foot print, for proper alignment.

From all the research I have done and the swaps that I have done I can quite honestly say that without a doubt the AWD swap in an MX3 is far more complex than a FWD converted 13b would be. an adapter plate and a couple of motor mounts being the biggest obstacles is not that much. besides you can buy adapter plates for this from the miata. Either way there is plenty of fabrication involved.

During my reassembly on the AWD car coming up in the next few weeks I will make sure to document what I have done from front to back.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”