CorkSport (Or Any) Strut Bar On KLZE IM (56k Warn)

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Nd4SpdSe

CorkSport (Or Any) Strut Bar On KLZE IM (56k Warn)

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Still seems to be some uncertainty on mounting a strut bar on a KLZE with the curved-neck intake manifold. Although there are a few ways to go this, i've had a few recent inquiries on my setup with the larger CorkSport front strut bar, and I just got a digital camera this weekend, so might as well put it to good use.

This type of mod will work on the more generic strut bars (Kp2t and Deimos have it done), but the concepts are the same, it's that damn high point screw on the IM that you need to clear that's directly in-line with the strut bar. Just a few simple pieces needed.

Besides that I repainted it (getting stratched from the hood and that I didn't clear coat it) and the longer bolts, this is basically the regular setup of the CorkSport strut bar.

This is just the idea on what needs to be done. You can do this on a regular thin-bar strut bar as well, it moves it just enough to work. On either bar, the problem with this is that when you tighten up the bolt, it will never tighten, and the arms that hold on the bar will just squish together, voiding out the point to his mod, ruining the look of the bar itself, and have fun prying those arms apart again after.

So what you need to go is put a spacer in between the arms. We just has a piece of metal pipe was the perfect diameter to look good, just neeeded to cut it to length. On the thin-bar strut bars, you can use a piece of pipe or a solid tube of the sort, but what we did on Kp2t's is actually fit in 2 nuts in between; took a little convincing, and it was tight (which is good), but it worked.

And the finished mod to the bar

But we're not quite done yet. It's still too low. Just need to raise it up a tad, which is easy as well. You actually keep the strut bolts on. On mine, we kept just the two inner, thinking the angle would help pull it up, but I dont believe it's necessary.

Like I said, I kept the two inner bolts, but I'm fairly confident that keeping all 4 will work fine as well. I know it does on the thin-tube strut bars, but haven't had the oppertunity to try it on any other CorkSport bars.

With my strut bar on top. Just need to get a second set of nuts to bolt it up. You can get some shiny new ones, or get them for cheap/nothing from the wreckers.

The bar mounted, moved away from that pesky screw.

And the clearance underneath is tight, but works.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

I remember an old post about how you are not supposed to put the strut bar under the existing bolts? Is this just a myth or whats the reasoning for not wanting it to be under your existing bolts?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

thats kool, but it seems very weak to me, where he extension is. it has nos support
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

i dunno i've never been sold on this idea, i do know that the strut bar will fit if you remove one bolt on the upper plate of the IM, basically you need to replace it with some type of flat screw. even the round bar will fit.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I copied nd4spdse's design but I made a few changes...

I shaved my top intake manifold piece so it the bar could lay flat beneath the strut mount nuts... is it really true I should not have the strut bar there? anyways either way I noticed a big difference in handling...
chertel

Post by chertel »

The strut bar is hollow. I just shaved the strut bar under where the bolt hits it and it fit great.
havoc13

Post by havoc13 »

this mod worked on my ractive strut bar but it leaves a scary amount of clearance i will see what happens
Always under construction
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

chertel wrote:The strut bar is hollow. I just shaved the strut bar under where the bolt hits it and it fit great.
Doing that your making the bar really weak. especially since its hollow. teh best way to do this is to put a small flat headed screw on the intake manifold so you ahve clearance.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
PGT97_Racer
BANNED Member

Post by PGT97_Racer »

Nice design, just don't know how much it will help the stability being hollow.
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

I will post pics of my Neon strut bar installed! ahaha Yea I got the bar for $25 and it is a GOOD Vibrant solid one and flat! it has a huge hump in it so I am gonna post pics of it on my buddys ZE since it looks super awsome! All I had to do was cut on both ends of the bar 1.8th of an inch and it fit right in using my original Ractive strut mount braces!
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
bbunkerc397
antispam: No

Re: CorkSport (Or Any) Strut Bar On KLZE IM (56k Warn)

Post by bbunkerc397 »

Looks like the only way to do it is custom build one that butts up to the firewall almost.
1996 MX-3 KL-ZE with Eunos 800 IM, factory side skirts,. "Owner since 2001 my 14th year"
1992 929s 20B-REW Lowered, 17" chrome Millenia rims, custom black interior. "13th Owner 9th year"
2006 Chevy HHR LT "Bought Brand New - East Side Chevy" Sold to my Dad
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

I've seen some factory ones on fullsize gm cars from the mid-late 90s that would be easy to mod and dirt cheap at a junk yard, most were straight but some were angled back toward the firewall to clear the 3800 s/c.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
bbunkerc397
antispam: No

Post by bbunkerc397 »

I would like to some pictures of that setup.
Redline322 wrote:I've seen some factory ones on fullsize gm cars from the mid-late 90s that would be easy to mod and dirt cheap at a junk yard, most were straight but some were angled back toward the firewall to clear the 3800 s/c.
1996 MX-3 KL-ZE with Eunos 800 IM, factory side skirts,. "Owner since 2001 my 14th year"
1992 929s 20B-REW Lowered, 17" chrome Millenia rims, custom black interior. "13th Owner 9th year"
2006 Chevy HHR LT "Bought Brand New - East Side Chevy" Sold to my Dad
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

I couldnt find pics of the one angled toward the rear, but at one time I did measure the straight one for a 323. I think the main bar had to be trimmed down an inch or 2 and one of the bolt holes had to be opened up or a new one had to be drilled, it was a few yrs ago. At least its square tubing so you only need to cut to length and redrill instead of dealing with sleeved round tubing.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

bbunkerc397 wrote:Looks like the only way to do it is custom build one that butts up to the firewall almost.
This mod counts as doesn't work? :shrug: The only "issue" is usually the price.

The Pontiac ones wouldn't work. The first one just mounts funny, you'd have to fab something to mount it to the top strut mount bolts. The point is to connect the strut towers to stiffen the chassis and distribute the cornering forces to reduce understeer. The second one, it's center to the strut mounts. That's the problem, you can't go high enough to clear the IM because the hood gets in the way. You need to get an off-center one like the original MazdaSpeed Mx-3 one. Rx8, XB, Soarer, R32/R33, BMW E30?, Evo9, etc. Those I just found doing a Google image search for strut bars.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Appearance”