Stumbling

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Stumbling

Post by mitmaks »

So my mx-3 is at it again. It has been hesitant for a bit and on the way to work it was just bad. Pulled codes:
16, 17 and 24.
All of ignition components have been replaced, fuel filter ~30K miles ago, O2 sensors have been replaced as well.
Btw where is EGR valve at? I was trying to locate it but engine compartment is so crowded with crap, couldn't find it.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Stumbling

Post by MrMazda92 »

EGR will be on the passenger side, behind/below the intake manifold.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

checked fuel pressure it's good,
checked both injector rail resistance and it's good,
checked spark plugs and they're good
I'm out of ideas what to do next.
I did fill up with premium and some techron fuel injector cleaner, maybe that's causing it?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

That's a handful of codes alright. :|
Check the O2 sensors, maybe carefully clean your VAF, and if you haven't done it lately set your TPS just to be safe.

As far as hesitation goes, I'm assuming you mean under light-average throttle pressure? I'd look at TPS first.
Running premium fuel shouldn't cause any issues, aside from added cost. It's only really harmful to go lower on octane, not higher.

Oh yeah, check your plug wires while you're at it... I haven't experienced distributor issues at all in my time with MX-3s, but I know others mention this quite often with hesitation under throttle.

What RPMs, speeds, gears are you having issues in? That'll help narrow it down as well...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

It happens at random times. During acceleration, or from take off, feels like car is cutting out.
I did change o2 sensors (Denso), new NGK wires, disty cap/rotor
TPS was set and I've cleaned throttle body and changed water thermosensor as well.
Unless my disty is going out?
Seems to be doing it while it's cold/wet out
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Ahh, my mistake, I didn't read the first post as thoroughly as I should have.
Try testing your VAF, there's a guide for it somewhere on here... If it's sending a bad signal, it could cause your A/F ratio to be screwy, and then your O2 sensor code would be explained.

Do you have an extra VAF to test?
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Don't have extra VAF.
I did unplug battery last night and reset ECU. It was running fine today on the way to work and back home.
mx3_ryder

Post by mx3_ryder »

You may be getting moisture in your distributor? The seal could be bad, happened to me and had same symptoms. Try taking the cap off when it is wet outside or early in the morning before the sun comes out. I always noticed it in the mornings on my car, not so much in the afternoon or when it was really hot out. Also the points on the cap could be corroded as well and may need to be cleaned up.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Well if it keeps up try swapping disty/VAFs. I could mail you a good JE50 to test if you end up needing it.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

I've put some Heet into gas, perhaps there's some water in gas, never know.
Problem still persists. When I'm going uphill/under a load, check engine light will go on and if I reduce throttle it will go off.
I also put WD40 inside disty cap just in case there's moisture coming through.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

You mentioned EGR, you have to remove the battery shelf to get at it. Follow the 1" pipe coming off your exhaust manifold to find it. Some people go at it from under the car. Try Seafoaming your engine and if it runs better afterwards your EGR could be plugging up.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

Daninski wrote:You mentioned EGR, you have to remove the battery shelf to get at it. Follow the 1" pipe coming off your exhaust manifold to find it. Some people go at it from under the car. Try Seafoaming your engine and if it runs better afterwards your EGR could be plugging up.

Plugged EGR's don't cause missing/stumbling problems... Stuck open ones do though... As a test you'd plug the EGR valve port and see if the problem went away..
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I stand corrected,,,,like you said. Thanks. Even if you replaced parts some times the parts you install could be bad right from the get go or fail shortly after. Not much help I know.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Is there EGR block off plate that I can buy somewhere? Would it cause me to fail emissions if I deleted EGR?
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

mitmaks wrote:Is there EGR block off plate that I can buy somewhere? Would it cause me to fail emissions if I deleted EGR?
not sure... Yes it can cause you to fail emissions...

Its pretty hard and labor intensive to try and block off the egr valve... For now just pull the vacuum line off and plug it... Try that and see if your problem continues...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”